Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guyz use to lube the garage door hinges, tracks, etc. with ? It`s a new Chamberlain beltdrive GDO install, but the door is ancient and creaks like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a silicone based paste lube for the hinges and rollers. This is unaffected by the temperature. The track should be kept dry. Take a walk around the door with a wrench and tighten up everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially I was thinking white lithum grease, with a slight concern of it attracting too much dirt/grime. Leaning more towards a dry lube now.

Thanx for the response !

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone Spray

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a needle applicator to lube the rollers/hinges occasionally, but generally I don`t lube mine much. I don`t want any excess lube getting on the vehicles. I used to worry that things would bind up or otherwise suffer from the lack of lubrication, but I`ve never had a problem at any of my homes/shops in over 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been in my home for 32 years and have never seen them lubed and I`ve never done it. Maybe when a spring or two over the years have been replaced, they guy lubed them. But they`re the original doors from back in the day and they open and shut daily with ease.
    Seth

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
    Leaning more towards a dry lube now.

Thanx for the response !

You might be able to use graphite powder.... but I`d be inclined to think that would make a mess. I don`t think you`ll have too much problems using the white lithium grease, as long as you wipe up the excess as much as possible.

Personally I`ve never lubed mine, but then again the door is only about 5 years old.

Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At my old house one day my neighbor came over with a tube of the lithium grease that said Garage Door Lube or something like that. I wiped the old grease off of the track and then applied the new grease. Ran the door up and down a couple of times and then wiped down again. Also took the time to tighten up the bolts and hit the rollers and hignes with a shot of Silcone spray. Ran it up and down a couple more times and then wiped them down. This was on a older opener (+10 years) and made it noticable quiet.

Good Luck,
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Silicone spray over the years on my track wheels for the garage door and its worked well with no problems to speak of. But my big concern lately has been the big old Door Springs. I replaced one a few years ago that broke. luckily no damage was done. the other 3 are 22 years old and had me concerned with my Mystic Cobra sitting beneath them. So I just got 2 containment kits for the springs so if they break they will stay in place. easy to install and well worth the cost for that peace of mind.

Later, 04MysticCobra

--------------------------------------------------------------

2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe

2004 Majestic Blue Maxima SE

Post Thanks / Like
    One other note:

A garage-door installer told me to spray the SPRINGS with WD-40 monthly and it would double their life.

He said they get "dry and brittle" after years of use.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips guyz !

This door doesn`t have to last too much longer, so I`m not too concerned with it`s life. Just has to get me through another year or two. Starting on plans to blow it away and replace it with a 2 car.

The tough part is that the town may limit the overall size. :sosad There are 2 car garages and there are Autopian style 2 car garages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by at Ace hw yesterday and picked up graphite powder. For $1.79, I figured how can I go wrong. Did the rollers and hinges and it`s whisper quiet now. Also noticed that there`s a wheel missing. The missing wheel causes the door to make a little hum when the door gets to the top. The squeaking was soooo bad before that I couldn`t appreciate the quietness of a belt driven opener.....I`m impressed.

:thx

Thread Information