Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, havent posted updates in FOREVER...just been busy with it I guess!

What`s happened since the last post:

Put up a loft, which was later revised

(but we don`t know that yet)

And also added some windows..that hadn`t been there before

We decided later that for just a tad over $400 more we would have 100sq ft more storage if we extended the loft an extra 4ft

Post Thanks / Like
    We went ahead and did all of the wiring, which actually took a good bit of effort because we put so many thigns on seperate switches. Think we have enough of em?

After the wiring was approved we were able to go ahead and move onto the insulation, and soon after we began sheetrock. We did the sheetrock over the loft first and realized what a pain it was going to be to do the whole garage by hand..epsecially with the hight ceiling. We decided that it was WELL worth the $40 a day to rent a sheetrock jack, and since we rented it over a holiday weekend we got two days rental for free. $80 had us a 4 day rental, and we were able to hang all of the sheetrock.

The holes you see are for recessed flourescents and access holes for the attic.

Believe me, that sheetrock looked a lot more menacing when it was stacked up

May not be able to see it in the pictures, but we went ahead and painted all of the cinderblock walls a grey color. Right now we are working on doing the sheetrock work, prepping it for paint. It`s honestly one of the worst things I think we have done...I hate it.

Anyways..thats how she sits now :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update!! You should be very proud of your work(and tired...LOL).

One fo the best threads that I have ever followed. Continue to keep us posted.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I dont what else to say besides wow!!!! You want to come and finish mine when your done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Things are sure moving along :xyxthumbs

I think you`ll like having all those switches, it`s good to have options with regard to what`s on/not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...and here I was debating if I should build a 10x12 garden shed or buy one...you`ve built a garage that`s larger than some city libraries!

Q: Why go to the expense of adding sheetrock to the ceiling? Why not keep it open to the rafters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kev95lx
    Why not keep it open to the rafters?

I had a shop like that (beautiful old oak rafters from the turn of the century construction), the dust/cleanliness issues drove me nuts- all sorts of stuff accumulated up there and then fell on the cars. Had to rent a lift-cart to clean `em off, what a pain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Really it also helps keep heat in a smaller enclosed area. Also having the ceilings in place really helps brighten the shop up, before we had the ceilings in the garage would stay dark even with our lights...now its well lit with very minimal effort.

Thanks for all of the compliments :hifive:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about the light, having a white ceiling *does* help a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost ready for paint...need to sand it again and hopefully we will be able to move on. This has been the worst thing we have done yet, in my eyes. I absolutely hate sheetrock work. If I`ve learned one thing from this it would be this: if I ever build my own house...I`m hiring someone to do the sheetrock. It`s just tedious, smooth it out and sand it down..then do it again. Not to mention the mess, that has gotten on EVERYTHING. I`m OK with messes, I just happen to hate the work. I guess the fact that I can`t seem to get the hang of it also contributes to my hate for it. I`m sure its not bad for the professionals..but I am not a professional. My dad has had past experience with it, so its not so bad for him. Anyways...I just wanted to rant about it :nixweiss .

Post Thanks / Like
    that looks nice

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya about the drywall. As a small contractor for many years it does not make sense for me to hire out my small jobs. So I end up doing the drywall myself. I can see from your pics that you have made more work for yourself. I could give yo some ips to make it easier but looks like you are in the final sanding stage so too late. Look at the bright side that yo will have one great garage when you are done! And you get to work with your Dad (enjoy him while you can, mine passed on reciently)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you paint is with textured paint you do not have to worry about smoothing it out as much. Of course it really doesn`t look SUPER professional in the end though....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but after the majority of our house having popcorn ceilings...you realize that over the years the popcorn begans to collect dust. Having a smooth ceiling in the shop will kep it looking clean, and if we need to clean it we can. Also another problem with textured ceilings like that, is that in more humid climates they can flake. If you figure the popcorn in our kitchen has gotten so dirty oer the past 10 years, in a shop where real work will be done it will deffiantely become dirty looking very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, wish I`d gone with an untextured ceiling in my shop Never even occurred to me what with all the other, uhm....issues...I was having with the builder`s subs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information