Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about a sanctuary!

Can`t wait to see the finsihed product .

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we have had 3 cars deep in it...we put my VW, moms altima and dads windstar all front to back in it, but then again..they arent exactly huge cars. Really we won`t be storing many cars in there, its more of a working space. We will have a bathroom, which will kill some parking space, and there will also be lots of cabinatry and machine tools. We figured on being able to park 4-5 cars in there, and be able to leave the stall with the lift in it open. We wil lactually be adding car covered parking along the back side so that we can put some of the cars there too.

The hearse is a full 23ft long :grinno:

I have had that parked back there and put our long bed f150 in front of it...so if you take big cars is only a 6 car garage. But most of our cars arent that large

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice and very well thought out. My garage is attached, but I told my wife I should build a bathroom in our garage and a nice workshop and then Id never have to come in the house! LOL! Looking forward to seeing more pics of yours as it progresses. Im jealous of your lift, what type did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    We`re going with a Standard Lift (I think thats the company??) Its a 12,000lb lift, two post. Thats part of the reason for the high ceilings in the place. That and the very rear section we had raised truss built so that we could have a small loft. The rest of the truss are standard, it would have been nice to go with all raised truss...but those had to be placed on 16 centers, whereas standard truss are on 24.

Having a bathroom should be nice, as the garage is seperate from the house. We were going to add onto the house but the cost would be nearly double, and the building codes were much more strict.

Today its raining so we are just welding the center doors up..should be fun :hmph:

Post Thanks / Like
    Speechless!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the middle doors in.

We custom built these, we decided not to go with the roll up door route (mainly because of expense) and nobody sold 10ft by 4ft doors, so we ended up buying 3 metal fireproof doors from a salvage place at $35 each. We cut one of the doors in half and put 2ft on each of the other doors. We also bought the windows from teh same salvage place at $20 a window. On the outside we just used an epoxy to glue wood to the outer door, and used bolts to secure it, and also match the other doors we will be installing. A weeks worth of fabrication and theyre up

They are just primed right now, we will need to put the final coat on later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. Love how the wood is set off by the nice white window frames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great garage, and bravo on your craftsmanship. I love to see people do their own work. People always are telling me I`m crazy for being a do-it-yourself`r.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, its been quite a project so far. I don`t see any problem with doing the work yourself, in fact for the most part I feel like I have a much better understanding of things after being so involved with it. Not only that but the money we are saving by doing it all ourselves is incredible. Although I will admit, it does get VERY tiring coming home from school in the evenings and having to work on it.

I`ll try to keep the updates rolling as we keep working, thanks for the support and compliments!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I still don`t understand that middle door. I thought I understood that you didn`t want an overhead door because it would interfere with the lift, but why does that door need to be a non-standard size? Why didn`t you just do barn doors in the same size as the other two? Or is that middle door not the same width (it looks narrower, but I think that`s just an optical illusion)?

Post Thanks / Like
    It IS narrower but only by 1ft, the reason for having the tall doors in the middle is because several of our vehicles will not fit in a standard door (my truck has a small body lift and will not clear) as well as our conversion van.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhh...that`s what you meant by interfering with the lift... :doh

Post Thanks / Like

Got the bathroom started :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! All you need is a small living room/kitchen and youd never have to leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on this project...would love to see the finished project

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information