Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that we are all car and garage enthusiasts around here, I thought I would post pics of my new garage as construction goes along. Im sure you guys dont really care about the house so Ill spare you the details. The garage wil be 1125 sq ft with 10.5` walls, fully drywalled, insulated garage door, 3- windows (3`x5`), natural gas line for (future) heater, cable TV outlet, 4 seperate electrical circuits. Anyway here we go:

Within the past few days they laid the block and are about ready to pour the concrete in the garage and the driveway.

From here you can get a feel for the size of the garage. The right side is 11`1" x 43 and the left side is 11`1" x 60.75`

This is also a good perspective shot. You can see the legnth of the garage compared to the side of the foundation (that inside "wall" of the foundation is 30` inside). The wife got the lake, I got the garage! :woohoo: :woot2:

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    jeez!! Nice big space you`ve got there! I`ll be interested to see your progress

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re making all of us jealous!

Any idea if you`ll put down racedeck flooring or something similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice garage, and nice neighborhood. Just one question, why pour concrete now? When our company builds garages, we leave it gravel until the last step and then pour concrete. This way, none of the nincompoop subcontractors scratch or knock a hole in the floor. But maybe you are planning on covering it with tile. That would be sweet. Love it!
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Despite the houses you see in the background, Im not in any way loaded. Race Deck or tile on that large of a space is way out of my budget for now. I was looking at durobond 100% solids epoxy coating. They sell mfg direct, materials and supplies to coat the floor would only cost around $550, and they recomended a contractor that would do it for only $1/sq ft. Still a big investment, so I may do it myself, maybe round up a few friends.

Brandon1, the reason the builder is pouring concrete now is because winter and snow is rapidly approach here in MI. If they dont pour now they would have to wait until spring and we are looking around March for a closing date right now. Normally they would do like you said, its just a seasonal thing up here.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that`s a 5 car? Two wide and two deep on one side, 3 deep on the other?

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s correct, 5 car. Part of the reason the wife was Ok with it is because she`ll finally be able to park inside after we move. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s kind of an unusual setup, to have one bay 3 deep, could make for a lot of jockeying if you want to get the back one out! I`m sure you had your reasons for doing it that way. Were you able to get floor drains? (I think you were the one who was working on that....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightngSVT

Brandon1, the reason the builder is pouring concrete now is because winter and snow is rapidly approach here in MI. If they dont pour now they would have to wait until spring and we are looking around March for a closing date right now. Normally they would do like you said, its just a seasonal thing up here.

Yah know, I thought of that after I posted up. You are absolutly right. Well, anyway, nice garage setup and if your house looks anything like the houses in the background, it will be very nice indeed.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightngSVT
    That`s correct, 5 car. Part of the reason the wife was Ok with it is because she`ll finally be able to park inside after we move. LOL.

Heh! She *thinks* she`ll be able to park inside. :hide:
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is going to be a beautiful spot for your home Chuck. One thing I didn`t see mentioned is if you are going to put in floor drains. Also are you going to put in the water resistant drywall for at least one side for a wash bay? You did say four electrical circuits, are any going to be a 220 V line in case of future need?

Do check out Dean`s garage that was featured in here some time ago. Maybe it will give you some ideas. His acid-etch staining looked great on the floor.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed Dean`s build of his garage with attached house closely, and it is beautiful! After looking back on his thread my garage pails in comparison, his really is an ultimate garage! Unfortunatley we are not quite in the same financial bracket that he is so I need to work on a fairly tight budget for the garage (the house is going to be a big investment). Plus his house was totally custom built, ours is in a subdivision so our customizations all had to be approved and supplied by our builder. Our house isnt quite as big as those you see in the pics (they are all 3000-3300`) but we will have the largest garage in the sub!!! I agree the setup is a bit odd, but given the buil;ding site available, floor plans available, etc this worked out best for our lot (alot deeper than it looks in these pics), plus anything in the back of the garage wont be driven to ofter so jockeying will be kept to a minimum.

I did try for the floor drain, but the city said no way. BUMMER!!!! Given the size I think I could wash cars in the bays nearest the door and just squeegy out any remaining water. Given the size of the garage I think we`ll have a decent slope for drainage anyway. I was thinking of using those 4` x 8` panels you can get at Home Depot, like they use in commercial kitchen, bathrooms, etc and do the lower 4` of the walls at least part way around the garage. Im debating whether to park my daily driver outside and use the 5th bay for a nice workshop / storage area? I hope I can finish it to Autopian standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad on the floor drain, I wonder how you would be able to make that legal if they wouldn`t go for the oil separator...I guess you would have to recycle by filtering, separating the oil, and deionizing...which would cost a fortune and take up a bunch of room. I guess this comes from people with floor drains just letting their oil drain into the floor drain when they change it...one bad apple spoils the bunch for everyone. This is really messing with my dreams of a garage with a wash bay...

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like a beautiful area... and a beautiful garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    Nice garage, and nice neighborhood. Just one question, why pour concrete now? When our company builds garages, we leave it gravel until the last step and then pour concrete. This way, none of the nincompoop subcontractors scratch or knock a hole in the floor. But maybe you are planning on covering it with tile. That would be sweet. Love it!

they poured my garage with the home foundation too. I think it could be because the water heater and sof````er loop are installed in there so they want it enclosed. they build enough houses so I guess the just expect a contractor won`t drop a hammer and crack it. I don`t mind as long as it`s all fixed by the time I close. the weird thing is they don`t pour the driveway until much later, but that keeps tire marks frm staining the concrete.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information