Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! The garage is the portion sticking out with the 8x16` door opening. The rest is our new house, the house is 2650` and my attached garage is about 1100` (basically its 43x22 and basically what is a 1 car stall or shop/storage area in the rear thats 10x17).

I went in yesterday and they have doen the electrical in the garage. Like Accumulator and others said, get more outlets than you think you need `cuz theres never enough. Well I listened to my non-autopian / car guy wife and Im already wishing I would have got more outlets, at lest 4-5 more. THe builder wont put any more in at this point. Sigh...... Oh well It`ll still be very useable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightngSVT
    ...Im already wishing I would have got more outlets, at lest 4-5 more. THe builder wont put any more in at this point. Sigh.....

No matter what you do, there`s always something you`d do differently. And I sure know what you mean about the electrical contractors not being willing to do certain things after a given point ("why *can`t* you add more lights if I`m willing to pay for it?")

Post Thanks / Like
    You can turn the single gang oulets into doubles without too much work later. Your garage is coming along great. Cann`t wait to see more pics .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zippymbr
    You can turn the single gang oulets into doubles without too much work later. Your garage is coming along great. Cann`t wait to see more pics .

Kinda lost me there? All the outlests they are putting are 2 "plugs" in each electrical box. But theres only 5 "drops" on the walls.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you have 10 plugs in total. ACH thats a plenty! lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda lost me there? All the outlests they are putting are 2 "plugs" in each electrical box. But theres only 5 "drops" on the walls.

A single gang box is just a box that fits one receptical. With a small amount of drywall cutting, a pigtail of romex, an extra outlet, an an "old work" double gang box you can easiy increase the number of plugs in your garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, having four outlets per box shouldn`t be that big a deal. It`s handy and most of my outlets are that way.

But increasing the number of circuits, so you can draw more amps at one time, is another matter ;

Post Thanks / Like
    ITs not the number of outlets in total isnt enough, it that there should be more outlet locations for easier access from anywhere in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, OK, that could be tough to change...that`s where I am with the lighting and I`ve sorta hit a dead end with my electrical contractor

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great with the brick. Look forward to the next set.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also misunderstood. Is the ceiling going to be finnished? It wold not be too hard to run new lines if the ceiling is left framing exposed. But I guess with how nice your new garage is that it will be all finnished off. You could install some retractable coord reels coming down from the ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the entire inside of the garage will be drywalled, including the ceiling. I think Im going to finish and paint it, but thats another story. Talked to my builder today, they forgot to add in the price to insulate the garge. They want $1395 but thats R13 in all the walls and R19 in the complete ceiling, so its a good deal really. The brick work is done and we have a pre-drywall meeting today. Ill try to get some new pics up today.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..we have a pre-drywall meeting today..

Sounds like you`re getting down to the wire with regard to making any last minute changes

And yeah, doing the insulation is such a good idea that it`s still a bargain. Good thing that didn`t slip past you!

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`LightngSVT`] Talked to my builder today, they forgot to add in the price to insulate the garge. They want $1395 but thats R13 in all the walls and R19 in the complete ceiling, so its a good deal really. QUOTE]

Just imagine all the money you`ll be saving on heating costs. It`s definately worth while.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest pics / updates: The house is fully bricked and the utilities / mechanicals are in. Heres some pics:

The long side of the garage. I will be doing some landscaping or planting trees to break this wall up a bit

The garage and front of house. When the images were shrunk the brick got all funky looking in the pic, sorry. Im sure know one wants me to post the 1.5mb original pic!

This is the view out my back window on my new garage!

The view out the front of my garage, assuming there isnt a house built there. The house next to this lot want to buy the empty lot, plus the plans showed the lot at 85` wide and when they surveyed it, its only 70` wide and they cant build any of the house plans on it. SO I hope the put sod down and call it a day!

This shows all the utilities in the garage. Red are the 2 outlet boxes, blue are the incandescent lights, gray is the cable tv, dark green is the natural gas line for the heater, the first light green is a hose bib and the 2nd light green is the utility tub with hot/cold water

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information