Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking it wouldn`t be enough ventilation for the soffits. Not sure if it`s going to be a ridgevent on top, hip roof, or what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, yes those are soffit vents, THe builder also uses ridge vents on the house. There will be "attic" space above the garage, but due to the standrad rafters most of it isnt useable space.:furious: All the exterior trim and soffits are going to be primed and painted by the builder. I think the roof line is called front gabled on the garage and cross gabled on the house. The steps are actually for the house, there will only be 2 steps going from the house into the garage. Its a big space, 10.5` cielings and the dimensions are 11x60 and 11x43. Or I guess it could be a 22x43 foot garage with an 11x17 bay on the back? But its all accessed through one door. Eh, saying 60` sounds cooler, LOL! Pretty soon the majority of work is going to focus on the attached house, not exciting stuff to Autopians.

Post Thanks / Like
    LightngSVT, I had my house dormered earlier this year with a ridge vent and soffits. From what I`ve learned is that you need adequate ventilation on the soffit side if you`re using a ridgevent for it to be effective. Maybe it`s different for different areas of the country. Just concerned for your garage....and full of envy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
    I`ve learned is that you need adequate ventilation on the soffit side if you`re using a ridgevent for it to be effective.

What goes out must come in...so your soffit vent area needs to roughly equal the ridge vent area to ensure enough airflow.

Lightning SVT...no columns in the garage, right? I guess 22` is a standard garage width, but did you give any consideration to making it a bit wider? That just seems a bit tight if you wanted to get around the car with the doors open, maybe easier without columns, or is that width ok? I do realize you were on a budget and sq. ft. is sq. ft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the ventilation will be more then adequate, I do trust my builder. Yes, I am on a budget (its all relative I guess? the 5 car "option" was an additional $22k), but the garage was supposed to be 24` wide, not 22`. There was a mistake made by 2` in 2 directions where the foundation was placed, so the garage is at the front and side edge of the building envelope as it is. From what we`ve discussed there will be no columns in the garage and the 22` is from drywall to drywall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man...that has to be a killer...I feel for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the garage is entirely framed now, except for the roof. Its pretty big, but I hope it doesnt feel like a tunnel when the roof goes on. You can see the front door in the picture, keep in mind that is an 8` door, not a standard 7` door. Now that I see it taking shape I think the house might take an tall, slender appearance because of the 9` cielings inside. Plus they are using 2x12`s for the josits instead of the manufactured I-Beam style joists, which again are taller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a few exterior shot to again, give some perspective on the size. The builder did put the garage windows to high, they are supposed to match the height of the windows in the house so we`ll see what happenes. The garage might have a "roof" on before Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that I should not be as excited as I am but....this is great watching the progress. That is a HUGE garage!!!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! An Autopian dream garage. Can`t wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, but while I`m very thankful to be building this I have to say that Dean or Ultgar are dream garages. There are others here that would pretty much qualify as dream garages, mine will be a nice, very large garage. I only hope to have the $$ someday to make it truely a dream garage. I really do appreciate all the complimenbts so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    :2thumbs: Looks awesome !!!

what`s that tall structure ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
    :2thumbs: Looks awesome !!!

what`s that tall structure ?

That is part of the house, it is the front proch / entry. The second floor of the house hasnt been built yet so it looks a bit odd with just the entry there.

Post Thanks / Like
    :woot: Your house and garage will be amazing !

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its looking like a garage, I mean house, no I mean garage. LOL! I was wrong in one of my earlier posts, they are not putting on risge vents on the roof like I had thought. Oh well. Heres some newer pics that show the garage in the final stae of framing. Still have electricl, water, gas, insulation and drywall from the builder, then finishing once we move in. I was standing in there the other day looking around and it hit me on just how big this space is and how much work it will be to paint, do the floor, etc, etc.

The wife got in this pic, gives you an idea of the scale of the space

The cut out in the roof is for the window in our Master Bathroom, plus it breaks up the roof line a bit

Well you can see th house and garage here. I was afraid that the garage was going to look out of proportion, it really doesnt. You can tell it sticks out a bit more than normal but still looks completely acceptable. I think the addition of the windows made the difference.

This shows the side, nice and long! You can see the overall design blends the garage in nicely with the house so that it`s not obnoxious or overly obvious.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information