Thread: Garage Lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello

Is there any specific light I could fit in the garage to show up swirls and marks better? Or will the normal Tube lights be adequate?

thanks

:dance
    :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vwlover
    Hello

Is there any specific light I could fit in the garage to show up swirls and marks better? Or will the normal Tube lights be adequate?

thanks

:dance
    Personally I like tube Fluorescents in my garage but I don`t think they show swirls that great at all. If I am really looking for swirls I kick on my halogens and aim them at the panel. If you do a search there is a specific type of light people recommend but I think it is a little pricey compaired to $10 fluorsecent fixtures.

Post Thanks / Like
    one or two halogen 300-500w lights on an adjustable stand available from home depot / costco / sams club.
    I don`t want my LSP to last... detailing is my therapy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ceiol
    one or two halogen 300-500w lights on an adjustable stand available from home depot / costco / sams club.

Amen! got a 500 Watt dual light stand for like 35 dollars. Very good investment when trying to view defects in paint. Just make sure your garage wiring can handle the lights and other equipment you run at the same time. I have tripped the ciruit breaker a few times when running a lot of things.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    i would use general flourescents for regular lighting (though they do show defects on white pretty well). several high wattage halogens on a stand or two and some in the ceiling and a few high wattage incandescents hanging down from the ceiling. more is always better!
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the high-wattage incandescents, in an otherwise dark garage, show marring the best for me. I hate to say this, but doing a search would be worthwhile. We`ve gone over lighting many times and there`s just too much info to repeat it all here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have about 5 of those halogen lights (home depot) attached to the wall around the ceiling of my garage (full perimeter) they work great for seeing defects, because you can aim them at the vehicle. Plus when they are all on it even heats up the space. Had to upgrade the electrical though. :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    If your garage is unheated, the florescents will make humming sounds and not really work well when it cold or below about 70F. I ran separate circuts for both incandecent and florescent lighting so I have a choice. Spot halogens really work well though and are relatively inexpensive.
    Peter

`87 Porsche 944S,`95 Saab 900S Conv. , `99 Ford E-350 Super Duty, `94 Dodge Caravan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Docta
    If your garage is unheated, the florescents will make humming sounds and not really work well when it cold or below about 70F. I ran separate circuts for both incandecent and florescent lighting so I have a choice. Spot halogens really work well though and are relatively inexpensive.

T8 bulbs are meant for cold temperatures and do not make as much noise, and they work fine after "warming up" for 5 minutes in 20 degree weather.

Thread Information