Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a few weeks ago I finally started finishing up my three car garage. It originally came from the builder with drywall and mud. The floor was never that "blemish-free", thanks to painters spilling paint during construction, a few oil leaks here and there, spilled fluids, etc.

I investigated getting it professionally epoxied, but at close to $3.00 per square foot it was more than I wanted to spend on a 640 square foot garage. With so many horror stories and personally seeing the results of DIY epoxy systems, I decided to opt out of epoxy`s. The Racedeck tiles are great, but are equally expensive.

So, I decided to go with the BLT Garage Flooring Mat System (http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm). These mats come in a number of patterns--we decided on the new diamond pattern, which is similar to the metal diamond plate pattern on many tool chests--and are easy to install. Unfortunately, many of the stock sizes require three mats to be used in a three car garage. Thankfully, there are a few resellers that accept custom length orders. We decided to get (2) 10 x 33 ft mats to fit in our 20 x 32 ft garage. It took about 4 weeks to get the mats, which were delivered on a semi-truck in as two 275lb rolls. This arrangement cost a little over $2 per square foot.

After placing the order and waiting on delivery, I rented an airless sprayer from Home Depot and ended up spraying 10 gallons worth of primer and 5 gallons worth of paint on the walls, reorganized the garage, and installed a few shelves and a cabinet.

Once the mats arrived, it didn`t take too much time to lay them out, cut them to shape, and bring everything back in the garage.

I also installed flourescent overhead lighting. I used two 4 bulb 4-foot units with cold weather ballasts. The cold weather ballasts ensure that the lights will light even when it gets cold this winter. However, .....

In the coming weeks, I plan on installing a natural gas 30,000 BTU heater (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9783&langId=-1) and a couple more pictures on the walls. This should keep the garage at about 50 degrees or more during the winter to allow for some winter detailing and maintenance.

I`m pretty happy with the results. It certainly isn`t one of those incredible garages that I`ve seen on the web, but it is a good compromise and should resist all fluid spills, dirt, and grime.

Here are a few before and afters (IF THE PICTURES BELOW DON`T SHOW UP, THEN VISIT THIS GALLERY http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/garage_before_after):

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The garage looks great! I can`t believe the guy who built your house left your garage walls like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

You finally have a garage worthy of that Carrera!!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    The garage looks great! I can`t believe the guy who built your house left your garage walls like that.

Looks absolutely great. Very clean and practical. The sheet rock spackling is "knife grade" which is standard for garages, and much less precise than interior grade.

Dean

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome, my dream garage. :2thumbs:

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Looks absolutely great. Very clean and practical. The sheet rock spackling is "knife grade" which is standard for garages, and much less precise than interior grade.

Dean

I`ve just never seen a garage left semi-finished like that. Usually I either see it completely unfinished (i.e. open studs) or sheet rocked and painted. I have no idea why the builder did not paint if he put up sheet rock. When I had a garage the walls were sheet rocked and covered with that cottage cheese looking stuff. Yuck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I`m glad you like it.

I`ve been pretty happy with the conversion. I may add a few more lights--you know you can`t have enough light. But for now, the heater is the next (and pressing) upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job! Your garage looks great, not a bad choice of cars either. So how is that flooring for rolling jacks, using jack stands, rolling toold carts, etc? Im going to have 1200` of garage to finish and Im looking for ideas on how to (economically) finish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck -

The flooring holds up well to rolling implements, although as you can imagine there will be some bumping along. However, one of the benefits to this is once you move something into position, it won`t roll off (or into your car) on its own. I used to have the shop vac roll into the car when vacuuming, however now it stays put.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc

For a garage, that isn`t uncommon practice. He should be glad there was even drywall up!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, my garage in my first house was like that. Somewhat common around here.
    ~Chris

95 M3, 99 323i, 87 Nissan pickup--it runs, 91 Nissan Sentra--288K miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of bike rack is that? That would work in my garage. Where did you get it and how much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fskof
    What kind of bike rack is that? That would work in my garage. Where did you get it and how much?
    Well, I bought it about 15 years ago (when I was in college.....yikes, that`s disturbing to say!!) so it may not be available in the exact same form. However, I did a quick search for you at Performance Bike and found pretty much the same thing:

Indoor Storage category: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=6600

The one closest to mine: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6600

There are some that are made of wood and some that simply lean against the wall to remain in position.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics.....my garage is the same size as yours but my door is on the end so I pull the cars in LONG WAYS. How easy to clean is the flooring? I was thinking of getting it but I am worried when it snows and I pull the cars in and teh snow melts....I may get a ton of puddling on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had to clean it yet, other than simply wiping up some brake fluid. However, from what I read online and the directions that came with the flooring, the mats can be pressure washed and/or scrubbed with a floor cleaner and broom. From what I can tell so far, I think it will be very easy to clean.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information