Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheAir
    Well, a few weeks ago I finally started finishing up my three car garage. It originally came from the builder with drywall and mud. The floor was never that "blemish-free", thanks to painters spilling paint during construction, a few oil leaks here and there, spilled fluids, etc.

I investigated getting it professionally epoxied, but at close to $3.00 per square foot it was more than I wanted to spend on a 640 square foot garage. With so many horror stories and personally seeing the results of DIY epoxy systems, I decided to opt out of epoxy`s. The Racedeck tiles are great, but are equally expensive.

So, I decided to go with the BLT Garage Flooring Mat System (http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm). These mats come in a number of patterns--we decided on the new diamond pattern, which is similar to the metal diamond plate pattern on many tool chests--and are easy to install. Unfortunately, many of the stock sizes require three mats to be used in a three car garage. Thankfully, there are a few resellers that accept custom length orders. We decided to get (2) 10 x 33 ft mats to fit in our 20 x 32 ft garage. It took about 4 weeks to get the mats, which were delivered on a semi-truck in as two 275lb rolls. This arrangement cost a little over $2 per square foot.

After placing the order and waiting on delivery, I rented an airless sprayer from Home Depot and ended up spraying 10 gallons worth of primer and 5 gallons worth of paint on the walls, reorganized the garage, and installed a few shelves and a cabinet.

Once the mats arrived, it didn`t take too much time to lay them out, cut them to shape, and bring everything back in the garage.

I also installed flourescent overhead lighting. I used two 4 bulb 4-foot units with cold weather ballasts. The cold weather ballasts ensure that the lights will light even when it gets cold this winter. However, .....

In the coming weeks, I plan on installing a natural gas 30,000 BTU heater (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9783&langId=-1) and a couple more pictures on the walls. This should keep the garage at about 50 degrees or more during the winter to allow for some winter detailing and maintenance.

I`m pretty happy with the results. It certainly isn`t one of those incredible garages that I`ve seen on the web, but it is a good compromise and should resist all fluid spills, dirt, and grime.

Here are a few before and afters (to see the entire gallery http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/garage_before_after):

:nono I also used the BLT flooring system (the coin pattern in green) which I installed in the spring of 2004 and am not completely satisfied. There are 2 issues that make it less than ideal. The first is the mats will shrink and expand as the temperature changes. I used heavy duty double sided tape for outdoor use on the seams and it still moved --- more noticeably when the temp dropped. Keep in mind that I am in Sacramento, California where the lows get into the low 40`s which is not truly cold. Secondly the tires will stain the mat and there is nothing that you can do to remove the stains. BLT on their product literature that accompanies the mats state that some people have had luck in using brake cleaner. I have tried it and have had no success. I also tried laquer thinner and acetone with the same results. It appears that the black from the tires has penetrated the material.

If I had to do it again I wouldn`t :down
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know, Lou.

As far as "shrinkage" goes (reminds me of Seinfeld), I`ve left about 6 inches on each side to accommodate for this. I guess I`ll see how it works out.

When I was searching for a floor, I looked for product reviews by users and didn`t find much. Therefore, for others, I`ll try to update this in the Spring.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheAir
    Good to know, Lou.

As far as "shrinkage" goes (reminds me of Seinfeld), I`ve left about 6 inches on each side to accommodate for this. I guess I`ll see how it works out.

When I was searching for a floor, I looked for product reviews by users and didn`t find much. Therefore, for others, I`ll try to update this in the Spring.

Whoa I just noticed your location, where in MI are you at?

The floor looks very nice; I`ve got one of BLT`s mats that just goes in the middle of the floor, not an "interlocking" setup like these are. I love mine, I can just yank it out into the driveway, use some simple green and the pressure washer to clean it once a year; it still looks new (right after cleaning.... it tends to dirty up quick between my parking on it, and my working on customer vehicles atop it.)

One warning I`ll issue with the stuff (since I assume this is the same kind of rubber material I have) -- DO NOT under any circumstances allow tire dressing or vinyl/rubber dressing to get on the mat. You`ll never see where all it got, and one day you`ll happen to step on a coated spot... well lets just say your butt will get up close and personal with the floor rather quickly. It tends not to want to clean back up well, either. It took me MAJOR scrubbing after I discovered the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking floor. What are the seams like? How are they holding up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
    Whoa I just noticed your location, where in MI are you at?
    I`m in Oakland County just north of Detroit.

The floor looks very nice; I`ve got one of BLT`s mats that just goes in the middle of the floor, not an "interlocking" setup like these are. I love mine, I can just yank it out into the driveway, use some simple green and the pressure washer to clean it once a year; it still looks new (right after cleaning.... it tends to dirty up quick between my parking on it, and my working on customer vehicles atop it.)

One warning I`ll issue with the stuff (since I assume this is the same kind of rubber material I have) -- DO NOT under any circumstances allow tire dressing or vinyl/rubber dressing to get on the mat. You`ll never see where all it got, and one day you`ll happen to step on a coated spot... well lets just say your butt will get up close and personal with the floor rather quickly. It tends not to want to clean back up well, either. It took me MAJOR scrubbing after I discovered the problem.
    Thanks for the heads up on keeping my feet under me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zippymbr
    Great looking floor. What are the seams like? How are they holding up?
    Thanks.

The seam (actually only one seam in my case) is simply an overlapping section. The piece farthest from the doors overlaps the other one by about an inch and a half. I left mine untaped so they can flex relative to each other. It doesn`t lay perfectly flat along the seam, but it`s reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    So it lays very flat and does not want to curl?

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems more and more of us Michigan Autopians are starting to pop up here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zippymbr
    So it lays very flat and does not want to curl?
    Correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightngSVT
    Seems more and more of us Michigan Autopians are starting to pop up here!
    Correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it come in black to hide the dirt and staining from tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the web site "midnight black" is an available color.

When you tape these mats, do you tape the entire perimeter of each mat or just tape the seams and let the rest of the mat free float?

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, I`m allowing the entire mat to free float.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a huge improvement!

Me? I would have added color.

I also vote for more lighting. I`d add three 8`x2 flourescent fixtures, along with some portable/tripod based 500 watt halogen lighting.

Posters/Graphics would help... closets for all those `sticks`???

Again, What a huge improvement!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Buffit
    What a huge improvement!

Me? I would have added color.

I also vote for more lighting. I`d add three 8`x2 flourescent fixtures, along with some portable/tripod based 500 watt halogen lighting.

Posters/Graphics would help... closets for all those `sticks`???

Again, What a huge improvement!
    Yeah, I will be adding some poster size photos of mine along the wall with the interior door. I intend to print these as 20x30s:

As far as more color, well, my wife wasn`t having a red floor. The wall color could be a bit more exciting, but for now I wanted maximum light reflection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information