Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Flooring

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know how everyone else is here but I like having a really nice garage.

I currently have a 3 car garage that is oversized and is almost 1000 sq ft.

I have a heater, tv, frig, phone, stereo and the usual shelving, rolling tool chest, rolling workstation, 8 foot flourescents, etc in the garage.

I am writing this post because I want to do something with the floor. I have thought about painting, Line-X and RaceDeck. Painting it is easily the cheapest way to go, hands down. I dont know too much about having a Line-X floor regarding the positives and the negatives. I have really considered the tile floor because it has a lot of colors and with mixing an matching the solid with the free flow tiles, I can put tiles under the cars that we drive in the snow in the winter and have it melt and flow to the drain in the winter. This will also keep the floor (the tile side) relatively clean until Spring when I can pop up the tile, sweep and then hose down the floor and then re-pop the tile back together.. prob is, this stuff is expensive. But I can take it with me if and when I move.

I am looking for some honest opinions, even harsh comments if need be, not sure why..

My concerns are as follows, If I paint and dont do it right, then I have a mess, if it is really bad, then I have to do that much extra work to get it back to right. I would also be concerned as to its appearance should I go to sell the house. There are several systems out there for the DIY person. If I go to a pro, then the cost is as high as the RaceDeck and then I would just as soon go that way..

If I go Line-X, I dont know much about it, but if I didnt like it, I would bet that getting rid of it would be a bear. Also, not sure how a future homeowner would like it. I am not sure how much it would cost either.

If I go RaceDeck, I can put it in pretty quickly, (no drying or prep time for the most part) and I can take it with me.

The cost of painting with a garage floor paint system is going to be in the $800 - $1000 range, depending on the system, the painting tools and floor prep that is necessary.

The RaceDeck I last priced at over $3000 and I am sure it is higher now with the price of oil being what it is..

Thanks for your help on this one...

Dana

Helpful Links

www.ucoatit.com

www.racedeck.com

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think your estimate of paint is a little high. And, I`m going to recommend pro grade paint that is, frankly, much better than what you may be contemplatiing.

I highly recommend PPG`s Aquapon 35 two part epoxy. Broad color selection.

DO NOT select their water based version.

Use a quality respirator during application!!!

Proper Prep (and time) is important. We have it in the shop, and after THREE years of heavy traffic, I`m quite happy. Not Perfect, but...

I`m buying a new Condo, and fully intend to use this process on the Home Garage.

Check it out.
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide on racedeck, dont get white. I did my floor with black and white and the white is hard to keep clean. Also oil spills are a pain. The oil seeps down between the seems and makes a mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a tile from home depot and it`s held up well and is 1/3 the cost of race deck. search for my garage redo and you`ll see the info

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t trust a "flow through" system to work right. The first thing I tried in my current shop was supposed to do that and it didn`t work. The humidity was gonna rust everything, it was like a jungle. I ended up getting a sealed stone/epoxy system and it`s working out well. Not cheap though.

On the painted floors, some people like Jimmy Buffit and my `vette tuner have great luck with them. NO problems at all. But all of my painted floors (professional jobs on both new and 10 year old floors) have had adhesion issues. Remember to put some friction media in the paint so it`s not too slippery when wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s another tile to look at. I have some samples and its real nice. still pricier than VCT.

www.locktile-usa.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick
    I got a tile from home depot and it`s held up well and is 1/3 the cost of race deck. search for my garage redo and you`ll see the info

I think I saw those but you couldnt drive your car or truck on them... other than that, they looked nice and came in black.. are those the ones?

Dana

Post Thanks / Like
    ya those are them I park on them all the time. I find it`s beeter then walking in puddles in the winter and a quick vac during spring cleaning picked up the sand. I does have a litte wear but they still look pretty new.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49063

this is the thread

some del pics

Post Thanks / Like
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Hey Holland,if you don`t mind,how much did this cost???[/COLOR]
    All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

http://www.ephatch.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between VCT (not sure on what product that is), locktile and race deck (which I sell).

I`m always looking for new products to provide to my customers as I feel its important to give them the final say and a quality selection to choose from. So any information will be great!

Cheers,

Quentin J Sarafinchan, B.Sc.

www.TotalGarage.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    it was 8 dollars for 10 square ft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the RaceDeck and have been very happy with it. I got a GREAT deal on it. The install was simple although I am still waiting to do some final trim work. It is a nice surface to sit on / lay on while detailing the cars.

-GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I used horse stall matts on my garage floor. They are ~$1.70 /ft2. They come in 4` x 6` sections, 3/4" thick. Each mat weighs almost 100 pounds so they barely move once they are put down. I also have a section of Racedeck around my portable lift. It is hard and slippery when it get wet. I`m so glad I used the rubber matts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by caz-nsx
    I used horse stall matts on my garage floor. They are ~$1.70 /ft2. They come in 4` x 6` sections, 3/4" thick. Each mat weighs almost 100 pounds so they barely move once they are put down. I also have a section of Racedeck around my portable lift. It is hard and slippery when it get wet. I`m so glad I used the rubber matts.

Do you have a pic or a link to the matts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information