Post Thanks / Like
    With the new garage / house under way I have been giving alot of thought to the floor. Because of everything my budget will be pretty tight to finish after we move in. Given that I have not yet been able to find a lifetime floor coating (some are close but $2.5-$5/sq ft!!!) that I can afford, racedeck would be insanely expensive for 1125`, same for tile, even the "rubber mat" systems would be $1-2000 for the amount of floor I have. Since really only 2 of the 5 "bays" will be used for work or detailing I have giving thought to just keeping the bare concrete, I kind of like the look. Pros or cons? What about just applying a clear sealer over the bare concrete like they do any stamped concrete? That stuff lasts 3-5 years out doors and is only around $90 for 5 gallons, plus i like the sheen it gives concrete. Would chemicals (detailing supplies, oil, etc) harm it?

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad uses a clear water proof on his every 2 years and he has no stains...

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage floor has all kinds of spalling that I think is related to salt runoff during the winter...if it is, you want to protect against that at the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to take a ride to U-Coat It, their headquarters and main store is on Woodward in Royal Oak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just use the basic enemal concrete coating you can buy pretty much at any hardware store. Use a roller to roll it on, and sprinkle the little vinyl flecks in for color/grip. Its fairly cheap (we did ours for about $150, small garage though), lasts pretty long (only scraped up from the snowmobile track), and looks good. Waterproof too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ownt use enamel or cheap (home Depot type) expoxy ever again after looking at my current garage floors after cleaning last night. They are lifting / peeling badly and are only 5 years old and where done over fresh (but fully cured) concrete. With a 43x22`2" area and a 17x10.5` area I dont want to have to redo these floors to often!

I got pricing on the UCoatit floors already, about $1200 for materials. I found a place that sell MFG direct for a possibly better product for alittle over $600 for materials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check into concrete stain with a clear sealer. I forget the common manufacturers, but my 800 sq. ft. garage was only going to cost about $350. This flooring is common in some of the new popular franchise restaurants (i.e. Chipotles...), our local hospital that was just built used it on all of their main floors too...

Here`s the one that I got my info from:

http://www.concrete-stains.com/pictures.html

I didn`t want to give away my idea...but thought you guys would like it... Also since it is a stain and not a paint, it won`t be disturbed if the clearcoat lifts...just re-clearcoat it.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME! That is exactly what Ive been looking for (Ive also been looking for a concrete stain to redo my stamped concrete to sell my house). This really does sound permanent unlike ANY other type of coating or covering and it looks beautiful. Thank you! I sent them an email for prices and more details. Was your price including sealer and which one did you choose?

Edit- I just noticed that after your stain, then you seal and then you are supposed to aply 3-4 coats of wax? Then wax periodically (like a car) to maintain the protection. Sounds like it could be alot of work. I wonder if this is the same finish Dean has in his garage?

Thread Information