Post Thanks / Like
    So we just purchased a (very old) home. The original property used our garage as the carriage house, and the rest of our house was added about 20 years later. The doors are massive, each weighing several hundred pounds. Each door is on its own metal rail/track, top and botom, and can slide along the entire length of the tracks. My question is, who can I turn to to automate my garage? The doors overlap, so this is one problem. Additionally, because of the sheer massiveness of each door, I assume several companies will not want the liability if someone/thing gets caught between the door/wall during closing. Can anyone lend me any advice?

PS I`m in the Philadelphia area.

THanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you make all three doors open out and up separately with three door openers and separate tracks? That way you would eliminate the sliding track but preserve the look of the old doors. Find a good old carpenter in your area. They may have some good ideas, and many will do a free estimate.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool looking house from the pic you posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you can never get all three open? Just all three at one side (two door widths of opening)? Or is there a pocket at the left (doesn`t look like it)? I don`t think the problem would be liability, I think it would be that it would be a custom opener...although it is kind of like an airplane hangar door. Anyway, that must be one cool garage. I did some work with a friend one summer years ago at a carriage house...the owner was a car collector...huge garage, high ceilings...was a fun place to be around for the day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about your garage door problem, but when I need to initiate automating, I find that getting the cars really drunk is a good first step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses everybody. I would like to maintain the functionality of the sliding side to side (plus, i dont think we could get the doors to open vertically since they`re so darn heavy). Also, there is no pocket on one side; yes, that means only two doors can be open at once. Any other thoughts?

Do you think using a product such as this:

Pro SL 2002 Dual Slide

would be a viable solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses everybody. I would like to maintain the functionality of the sliding side to side (plus, i dont think we could get the doors to open vertically since they`re so darn heavy). Also, there is no pocket on one side; yes, that means only two doors can be open at once. Any other thoughts?

Do you think using a product such as this:

Pro SL 2002 Dual Slide

would be a viable solution?

Thread Information