Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My current 15 yr old Stanley chain driven opener keeps coming off the track. I can`t stand how slow and noisy it is so I figured it time for a new one. I don`t really need the top of the line model but if they are worth it I`ll spend the extra money. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone had Home Depot or Lowes install theirs. They say it`s only $59 for basic install but I don`t know what they consider basic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 sears belt drive openers and they are very quiet. I only hear the door itself make noise during operation of the opener. The basic install might not include running wires to the sensors and to the touch pad. but you will be able to reuse the sensors. Swaping out an opener might only take you an hour or two. I have done several and the hardest part is getting the opener in place and secured.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for the Genie screw-drive. The model I have is "supposed" to have a life-time warranty or Genie will send a repairman at no charge.

I replaced an aging Sears POS that had stripped the plastic drive gears. I was able to resuse the existing switch wiring, but the new safety beam projectors required running a lot of additional wiring. If you have at least average mechanical skills and are merely replacing an old one, I`d say to get a friend and do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with Chamberlain garage door openers based on quite a few recommendations from friends and an internet site. A little pricy but great quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some manufacturers, such as Genie, offer models that open the garage door twice as fast. A nice feature.

I like openers that have two light bulbs because you still have light until you get one of the bulbs replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my 25year old Chamberlain replaced from Lowes this January. The old one was a chain driven and it was loud as hell and shook like an earthquake. One of the light sockets fell out and the wire touched the case and shorted itself and blew a fuse that I had to reset.

I replaced it with a belt driven Chamberlain Whisperdrive and it was very quiet. The guy installed everything including the sensors which I never had, relocated the button on the otherside of my garage and installed the keypad remote outside. $208 for the opener and $125 for install for $333 total.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed that my local lowes started pulling their Chamberlain openers off and focusing strictly on Genie. So if it cost you $125 for your install what is the basic $59 cover? I can`t imagine all the wiring would cost that much more but then again they charge you for everything these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no clue what a basic install is. They just told me $125 to install it. $59 sounds like they would just deliver it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cadilac of door openers. soooooo quiet.......

http://www.liftmaster.com/cw/product...0-id-8,00.html
    Its only money, you can get more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just replaced mine old one with a LiftMaster and will never look back.

Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newbie here but wanted to chime in. I just got the Liftmaster with the battery backup installed with exterior touchpad for $380. It is the Estate Series that is belt driven. Lifetime warranty on the belt and motor. When it closes, the opener slows down. Reminds me of the Cadillac trunks.

Good luck in your pursuit.
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mom`s garage has one of those really quick openers, but it closes fast! I don`t know how old it is, but it`s all metal and has the exposed belts & pulleys & such. I`m guessing 50`s or 60`s. I don`t think it was originally remote controlled, you used a key in a lock on the garage wall (now has a remote).

It is soooo fast. I wish I could post an mpeg of it. People laugh when they first watch it. And of course zero safety features. It would crush a person if it hit them. We call it the Door of Death. The driveway actually vibrates becasue it slams down so hard.

BTW-I have Chamberlins. Eh. They`re ok. I think I have the low end models. Slow, noisy, jumpy. Fortuantely it`s a detatched garage so I don`t have to deal with hearing them.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Wayne Dalton wall mounted idrive units on my garages.

Lowe`s is a Wayne Dalton dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blonzz
    I use Wayne Dalton wall mounted idrive units on my garages.

Lowe`s is a Wayne Dalton dealer.
    These are very nice, they mount above the garage door and leave the ceiling clear for lightsand other issues you may have.

kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Martin Garage Door Opener. It is labeled the quietest opener in the world and I can vouch for that! You can barely even hear it when in the garage. We got the opener and one-car door installed for $2k.
    1995 Volvo 850 T-5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information