Post Thanks / Like
    Griots Fluorescent Light

Does anyone know a direct source for this new Griots fluorescent light? I`d rather not pay the usual Griots` $$$ markup, and perhaps there`s a wider variety if sizes to pick from.

Even with the usual Richard Griot overkill ad copy and hyperbole, it looks like a nice garage light... Solid state ballasts, 150 ft-candles of light, etc.

Thanks,

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    check under cooper or lithonia lighting. i am having 6x4xT8s with the same ballast, 5000k and such for only $66 per for my new house and garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember that fluorescent light generally doesn`t show marring as well as other forms of lighting It makes for great general-purpose illumination, but it`s not too great for swirl-spotting.

Post Thanks / Like
    One exception I`m finding is in the case of white paint. My halogens don`t seem to show marring as well so I still keep flourescents around.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Just remember that fluorescent light generally doesn`t show marring as well as other forms of lighting It makes for great general-purpose illumination, but it`s not too great for swirl-spotting.

My own personal experience in my garage is completely different. My metal halide lights mounted on an 11 ft ceiling (see Griots equivalent) are a total disappointment. The color spectrum and light output is totally inadequate compared to my 8 foot T8 fluorescent lights.

For me, swirls are much easier to see with fluorescents. I recommend that anyone considering other options compare them side-by-side.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, good thing i did not listen to Griots where he thinks the metal halides are the s%$t! that orange/yellow tint is annoying

Post Thanks / Like
    I just stumbled across this portable fluorescent light. I kind of wished I hadn`t as it`s now another thing on the never ending list.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean- Just goes to show how people have to find what works for them. Even with all the 8` tubes (dozens of them in a ~40`x40` shop, including on the walls), the only way I can spot light marring is to turn off all my other lights and use high-wattage incandescent/tungsten lights. When I turn on the fluorescents all the fine imperfections disappear.

I used to detail in a *very* brightly illuminated showroom, again, with fluorescents. I`d get the cars perfect and then drive home, only to see all sorts of flaws under other lighting

Interesting about the metal halides, I`ve heard the same thing from some other people. My electrical contractor said they were the only way to upgrade from what I have now and I wasn`t confident enough in them to spend the money.

What are the lights commonly used at gas stations and in outdoor parking lots...sodium vapor? I don`t think that`s right as my old neighborhood had sodium lights and they didn`t show much.

The lights at one of our local stations bring out *all* the flaws quite vividly, but I don`t know what they are.

Bill- Yeah, I almost mentioned the white paint thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

The lights at one of our local stations bring out *all* the flaws quite vividly, but I don`t know what they are.

I don`t think I`d want them. :laugh: It remenids of the time that I looked at my paint under 1000 watt halogens and a jeweler`s loop. :nervous2:
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    ..It remenids of the time that I looked at my paint under 1000 watt halogens and a jeweler`s loop...

You mean people don`t do that all the time?

J/K, well, sorta

Post Thanks / Like
    T5-HO high bay lights? Not sure if this is what you all are talking about, but here...

energywisegroup.com

Thread Information