Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheAir
    Fight with the wife? :furious: :bolt :hide:

:p

Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    MaThGr82

Hello - I have been scouring the internet lately re: the Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Product

I have a few questions but before I ask them here is what I just bought:

1 - Epoxy Shield 2.5 car garage kit (gray)

1 - 5 gal bucket

1 - new hard bristle broom

1 - 9" roller cover with a 1/2 inch nap

1 - 5` ext rod

2 - cans of shark bite anti skid power (1 can per gallon)

1 - power mixer paddle for mixing with a drill

1 - squeegee

Questions:

1. Did you etch with muriatic acid or did you just use the stuff in the kit?

2. Anything you wish you did that you hadn`t?

3. Did you use a different degreaser then the stuff they gave you?

4. Any other issues?

Its my understanding you want to clean the floor, then spot treat the spots, fill any cracks, then wash the whole floor with the stuff in the kit, let dry overnight and paint away in sections... If there are any tips you can provide - man would I sure appreciate them

Thanks in advance and boy does your floor look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I powerwashed my garage, then used what was supplied in my kit on the tough greasy spots. I personally don`t think the etching step is necessary. My father in law and I did our garage floors at the same time, and he etched and I did not. Absolutely no difference in how our floors are holding up. The only thing I didn`t do that I wish I had is lay that stuff on thicker. I have one area that I kind of went over twice, and it is awesome. Wish the whole floor was like it. My advice to you is do a good prep, lay down a nice thick coat, add some of that shark bite stuff if you are worried about traction because it can be a little slick when wet.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was to do it again I would be more careful about overlapping the sections. The overlapped area is noticeably thicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty
    I powerwashed my garage, then used what was supplied in my kit on the tough greasy spots. I personally don`t think the etching step is necessary. My father in law and I did our garage floors at the same time, and he etched and I did not. Absolutely no difference in how our floors are holding up. The only thing I didn`t do that I wish I had is lay that stuff on thicker. I have one area that I kind of went over twice, and it is awesome. Wish the whole floor was like it. My advice to you is do a good prep, lay down a nice thick coat, add some of that shark bite stuff if you are worried about traction because it can be a little slick when wet.

I agree, I would have put mine on thicker. I used a 2.5 kit for a 3 car garage. I should have made it thicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is a 2 car garage (375 sq ft) do you think I should be good with a 2.5 car kit, for thicker coverage? It says it should be good for 500sq feet - but you know those things are mostly exaggerated.

I have a pressure washer at home so Ill make sure to use it when I clean the floor. I also picked up a gallon of simple green (degreaser).

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same kit on my two car garage, and again I should have put it on thicker. That`s all I can tell you. Don`t be afraid to use it up, and maybe buy a backup kit in case you use the first one up. If you lay it on nice and thick you won`t have to worry about the tire pull that I am starting to experience.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool thanks Ill buy another small kit just incase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I started the Epoxy Shield Project yesterday, here is what I did so far.

1. Used a stiff broom and swept the garage really well twice to remove as much dust ect as I could.

2. Used my air blower (landscaping - not compressor) to blow out the entire garage twice.

3. Power washed the entire floor very well @ 2900psi - Its amazing at how much crap comes off with that thing. Went over the floor a couple of times.

4. Squeegeed the entire garage

5. Wet the entire garage with a hose, then used simple green at full strength pretty much over the whole floor real quick. Spent a good amount of time on the spots.

6. Rinsed the whole floor twice and squeegeed twice.

7. Used the acid that was provided in the kit in sections - rinsed well then rinsed the entire garage again twice and squeegeed as much water as I could.

This morning I will be starting to paint. I will however be laying down two full coats. Since a couple people said they wished they had layed it on thicker. So the first coat will be going on in about 30 mins. The second coat will go on late tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good prep, and that you will be successful. Let us know how it goes and post some pics when you`re all done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,come do mine... PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by myuserid
    Well I started the Epoxy Shield Project yesterday, here is what I did so far.

1. Used a stiff broom and swept the garage really well twice to remove as much dust ect as I could.

2. Used my air blower (landscaping - not compressor) to blow out the entire garage twice.

3. Power washed the entire floor very well @ 2900psi - Its amazing at how much crap comes off with that thing. Went over the floor a couple of times.

4. Squeegeed the entire garage

5. Wet the entire garage with a hose, then used simple green at full strength pretty much over the whole floor real quick. Spent a good amount of time on the spots.

6. Rinsed the whole floor twice and squeegeed twice.

7. Used the acid that was provided in the kit in sections - rinsed well then rinsed the entire garage again twice and squeegeed as much water as I could.

This morning I will be starting to paint. I will however be laying down two full coats. Since a couple people said they wished they had layed it on thicker. So the first coat will be going on in about 30 mins. The second coat will go on late tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... I`m soar as hell... damn that manual labor and stuff...

Here are some links to pics. I made them links as the images I sized down to 1024x786 and in case there are people here with 800x600...

Clean Floor

First Coat Down

Secomd Coat Down - Step

Second Coat Down - Threshold

Second Coat Down - Main Area

The first coat I tried to go thick, but I wasn`t sure If I was going to have enough. So I`m sure I held back a bit. The second coat went on so easily... like melted butter. I really applied a nice thick coat that second time. I used just over three gallons between the two coats for 375 sq ft... (small 2 car garage)

I also had a ton of chips I used a lot about 1.5 bags I really like the chips because they seem to hide the imperfections in the concrete rather well. Man I cant wait till noon so I can walk in there and feel the new floor.

Thanks goes out to everyone for this awesome thread. It helped me a lot, I know I was vigilant when it came to prep... hard to tell in that first pic but I cleaned the crap out of that floor. Hopefully with the 2 thick coats, and the fact that I don`t wrench and I only park a Wrangler in there -- I hope I wont have too many problems.

Ill post updates if you guys want as well.

:thx

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great and it looks like you did a great job.. I really like the color too.. :clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks great!!! You won`t be disappointed in applying that second coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks =) I started putting my garage back together lastnight.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information