Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

They don`t even work indoors in a kitchen or bathroom where the temperature is more maintained and abuse much less severe. Paco

I`ve had the adhesive tile in my wife`s bathroom (without a vent) for close to four years with no problems what-so-ever. She can drain a 50 g water heater so it is steamy as He!! but they are holding up great. It`s all in the surface prep and attention to detail as to how well they last and how good they look.

I do agree that a concrete floor is a different beast though. I think that the hardest thing for them to deal with will be the temperature changes withing the concrete itself from summer to winter.
    Autoeng

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll be Sorry!!!

I hate to say it but, I put those tiles down in a spare bathroom and in the past 2 years the glue that they use is seeping thru the gaps where they but up against each other from just walking on them. I can`t imagine what they will look like with tire traffic.

Please reconsider and hold out for a better product. :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not really the "wear" that it is going to effect these tiles, it is the moisture in the concrete and the unstable outdoor environment. That coupled with hot tires and I think you`ll have a pretty big mess on your hands after a year.

It snows up in MD right? Salt, snow, etc... all coupled with the weight of the car is really going to stress these tiles. If you were to do this you would need to use a tile seam sealer to fill the cracks and eliminate moisture getting between the tiles.

Hot summer days will make your tires amazingly hot. Pulling onto the tiles with hot tires will stress and lead to delamination of the surface.

I also imagine that you have a frost issue in MD. In the spring the moisture from the frost will come up through the concrete and effect the adhesive. One or two cycles probably wont` be detrimental, but many cycles will lead to the product lifting. (edge picking)

I`ve struggled with the same stuff trying to cover my garage floor. I cheaped out once and ended up stripping it and starting over. I ended up with a pro-grade expoxy and have had no problems since. Save up a couple bux and get it done right.

Just as you would not use candle wax or ear wax to wax your car, it`s probably not a wise idea to use these tiles for your garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not lay a few tiles in the area of each tire? Then give yourself 2 months of driving on it daily, parking with wet, dorty tires, etc and see how it holds up? It may hold up, or you may be glad you only laid a few tiles on the floor. But its a good test either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LightngSVT
    Then give yourself 2 months of driving on it daily, parking with wet, dorty tires, etc and see how it holds up?

Chuck, this post was from April 2005 and we haven`t heard back. One can make an educated guess on how the experiment went if he did actually put the tiles down.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt even notice the dates, but there were 3 posts before mine from this month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, being a long time since i visited. Just browsing through and noticed my thread.... Well guys, it is still holding up just fine. I have driven all over it and it is still fine. There is only one place where the tile DOES not have enough glue. NOT one issue with the side that is used/driven ontop the most. Rain and snow and it held up. NOTE i haven`t even washed or really cleaned it since i layed it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was not a good test. Roll a jack acrossed it a few time, jack the car up and put the car back down on a jack stand. The tile will probably tear. Then spill some water and oil and antifreeze on it and see how it does. I would stick with the better tiles in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    :showpics

Not that I don`t believe you but I am interested in seeing what these tiles look like
    1995 Integra

Post Thanks / Like
    - - - - - - -

Pics?
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try and take some and post it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    So what are the good tile systems that you guys do recommend. I was gonna paint/seal my garage floor, are the good tile systems better?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information