Post Thanks / Like
    In Peter Crowl`s thread, "Armstrong floor tile in the garage?" , I was turned on to the idea of using this tile to floor my garage. One thing led to another, and by the time I finished, I had completely renovated my garage!

Read my posts in Peter`s thread for some of the costs of what I did.

The final cost was over $3,000, but that`s because I paid over $1100 in labor. I am obese and couldn`t lift a finger. Your cost for a similar renovation will be much less.

Here`s a link to Yahoo!, which has pics of my garage, before, and after!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cwrob3...=/2314&.src=ph

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice! Makes me wish I had a garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    1100 for labor. wow i lay tile for a living and i only get .50 cents a foot. they did a nice job thou.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great before and after!

Makes me want to sell my one-car garage house and get a larger house with a larger garage.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    What an improvement!

It feels great to renovate the garage!
    1991 NSX Blk/Blk
    2005 Civic Si
    2003 Xterra SC < Sold!
    2006 NBP EXP Honda Element AWD

Post Thanks / Like
    i wish i had a huge garage with a house attached to it, or better, the house in the backyard...

Do those tiles get sealed over with clearcote? If so, are the lines always visible? I plan on going with the black/white checkered theme so that wont be an issue, but getting the final product completely smooth is my concern. I dont want edges lifting if oil or gas gets underneath them ya know.

Looks really nice compared to before

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Nice Garage! Nice high ceiling....looks like it might be high enough for a lift

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by z281977

1100 for labor. wow i lay tile for a living and i only get .50 cents a foot. they did a nice job thou.
    "Only" $500 for labor for laying down the floor. I paid my wife`s cousins to clean, paint, and redecorate the garage.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Wow! Nice Garage! Nice high ceiling....looks like it might be high enough for a lift
    I believe it just might be! But that`s an expense that I`ll not partake in.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gto78

Do those tiles get sealed over with clearcote? If so, are the lines always visible? I plan on going with the black/white checkered theme so that wont be an issue, but getting the final product completely smooth is my concern. I dont want edges lifting if oil or gas gets underneath them ya know.

Looks really nice compared to before

They got sealed, but not with clearcote. Go back to my original post and click on the link to Peter Crowl`s thread, where sealing is more thoroughly discussed.

Peter will be interested to know that although I had thought about getting the floor professionally waxed, we have not done so at this time. The floor is holding up very well through this Maryland winter.

There IS one problem that gto78 mentioned, about seepage getting under the floor. Water has seeped under the tile where my garage floor had a dip in it. The tiles are separating, but they`re still holding - for now. I will have to call the carpet company to see who is responsible for correcting the problem. I`d told them of the dip in the floor, so I would have thought that the workmen would have laid on an extra thick coating of adhesive in that spot.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by crobinso

They got sealed, but not with clearcote. Go back to my original post and click on the link to Peter Crowl`s thread, where sealing is more thoroughly discussed.

Peter will be interested to know that although I had thought about getting the floor professionally waxed, we have not done so at this time. The floor is holding up very well through this Maryland winter.

There IS one problem that gto78 mentioned, about seepage getting under the floor. Water has seeped under the tile where my garage floor had a dip in it. The tiles are separating, but they`re still holding - for now. I will have to call the carpet company to see who is responsible for correcting the problem. I`d told them of the dip in the floor, so I would have thought that the workmen would have laid on an extra thick coating of adhesive in that spot.

Charles

Wow Charles...looks great! You have good taste as evidenced by your use of the same cabinets I did

You`re right about your low spot. I missed one on m floor and it`s a PITA. They should have floated a skim coat of self leveling mortar over the low spot to bring it up. More adhesive wouldn`t be the right solution.

I`ve had no trouble with lifting despite water and oil. But...I make the effort to remove standing water when possible. I use my wet vac to suck it up.

As has been said...having a finished floor in the garage is just about the best thing you can do for yourself!

Peter...happy to see your success

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles: Looks good an inspiration to me for a summer project! Thank you for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work Charles. It`s amazing how your land yacht still fits in your garage with room left over. Enjoy.

Thread Information