Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Prestone De-Icer Washer Fluid

As many of you might know, I was having problems recently concerning the washer fluid in my vehicle. I made the mistake of buying the cheap Ãâ‚Å“blueÃâ‚Â fluid and putting it in my car for the winter. As soon as the frigid temperatures hit, I was stuck with an ineffective washing system for both my windshield and rear window. This created a safety issue that I sought to correct immediately.

I took a trip down to the local Wal-mart and purchased a gallon of Prestone De-Icer washer fluid for about two dollars and change. It was significantly more than the .88 cents I had paid for the blue stuff, but you get what you pay for and I was not going to jeopardize my safety. PrestoneÃâ‚â„s fluid has the capability of protecting down to below freezing temperatures and removing light ice and frost from the windshield without re-freezing.

The color of the Prestone fluid is a yellow color similar to lemonade (please donÃâ‚â„t drink it!). Therefore, there is no confusing it between your usual warm weather wash. It has a consistency similar to most washer fluids, so you donÃâ‚â„t have to worry about it being too thick for your system. Prestone says that you can add it to your regular wash fluid, but for the purposes of this review I first siphoned out the old liquid. If you do add it to your existing blue wash, it does have the potential to minimize the amount of cold weather protection. Prestone states that their product protects down to Ãâ‚“34oF, so most climates should be pretty safe in terms of mixing. I didnÃâ‚â„t want to take any chances, so I decided to use straight, undiluted Prestone fluid in my reservoir tank.

As soon as the really cold weather hit the Philadelphia area, I was able to test out the Prestone fluid. I can happily report that it performed strong without any problems. When the temperature was below freezing, it came out of my reservoir instantly and did not refreeze or streak on my windshield. Overall, the cleaning power of this solution is excellent and much better than compared to most blue fluids. My cold weather windshield problems had been solved!

I was not able to test out the de-icing capability of the Prestone fluid, due to the fact that I was not in my car when there was any frost or ice on the windshield often found in the morning hours. However, I have tried their de-icer that comes in a spray can and I can report that it works well on frosty windshields that many of us who park our vehicles outside often wake up to.

If youÃâ‚â„re tired of dealing with winter weather windshield cleaning problems like freezing fluid or dirty, streaky windshields, be sure to pick up a gallon of Prestone De-Icer washer fluid. ItÃâ‚â„s cheap insurance against the worst that winter has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used their de-icing spray and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    JM19 .. Does the Prestone De-Icer leave waterspot type stains on the glass and paint? I`ve been using rainx washer fluid but it stains everything really badly, even if I apply with a spray bottle.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    does it say it will not strip wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

JM19 .. Does the Prestone De-Icer leave waterspot type stains on the glass and paint? I`ve been using rainx washer fluid but it stains everything really badly, even if I apply with a spray bottle.

I have not noticed any type of waterspots or staining on my vehicle. It`s actually a very good windshield cleaner, and has more "punch" to it then normal washer fluids. I really can`t complain about this product and it has been a lifesaver these past few frigid weeks.

I have seen the Rain-X washer fluid that you are talking about. It looks somewhat thick and gloppy, which I imagine would lead it to splatter all over the place. Prestone`s fluid, on the other hand, resembles normal washer fluid consistency and I have had no problems with it.

Originally posted by hadboosttroy

does it say it will not strip wax?

It does not say directly on the packaging whether or not it will strip wax. However, I contacted Prestone directly and they said it would not harm paint or a waxed surface.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched our daily drivers over to this product year round. It is an excellent cleaner. The actual "de-icing" capabilities are limited. If you want to de-ice your windscreen you will need your scraper. Period. It will deal with very light stuff only.

I add 1 oz of the excellent P21S windshield booster to the Prestone solution. It just kicks butt in the summer when you`re trying to clean bugs, etc. This combo is one of the most effective I`ve ever tried and have been very pleased with it...the smells not too bad either!

I am seeing a newer version of this product in the local stores...or the pkg has been re-labelled. I have not tried that one yet.

It`s hard to comment on the staining/stripping issue. The cars are so dirty and the temps so low that a wash is nowhere in sight. I have not had any concerns with it during the summer months but useage is much lighter obviously.

I`d been hooked on GM`s washer fluid for a long time. I`d give the nod to the Prestone/P21s combo. :xyxthumbs
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    This stuff possibly saved my life a few weeks ago. I was running down the Interstate and ran into some nasty freezing rain. I kept using this stuff to clear off the windshield, and had no problems seeing. I stopped for something to eat, and the lower part of my windshield the fluid/wipers don`t reach had nearly a quarter inch of ice build-up in places.

I`m not saying the blue stuff wouldn`t have done the same, and it was a bit expensive (I used most of the gallon on this one occasion), but I`d say this stuff is definately worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    JM19,

way to go the extra mile and call them!! now that is a true autopian!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hadboosttroy

JM19,

way to go the extra mile and call them!! now that is a true autopian!

As an Autopian, my search for definitive information concerning my vehicle will never cease!

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using the orange RainX washer fluid this year & I have no complaints with smearing, steaking, freezing, or staining.
    "Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they`re open"

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe Satin Silver Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

I`ve been using the orange RainX washer fluid this year & I have no complaints with smearing, steaking, freezing, or staining.

Different washer systems will probably yield different results. :nixweiss

I`m looking to do a test of the Rain-X fluid just for a comparison. On a side note, the Rain-X is also locally available and even closer than the nearest Wal-Mart that I had bought the Prestone fluid at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

Yea- I had the same issues with rainx. I stopped using it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NYV6Coupe

Hey good luck to you! I had no problems with smearing etc. just the "water" spots where it dried on glass and paint. The problem was slightly off-white "water" spots, which only wash by hand; rain or a hose will not rinse these spots off.

Maybe I got a bad bottle or something? but I`ll never use that brand of washer fluid again. I`m going to give this Prestone a try, sounds like it may contain fewer solids.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SHICKS

Yea- I had the same issues with rainx. I stopped using it.

Steve

hehehe .. At least I know I`m not going crazy now.

I`m interested, which fluid did you use instead?
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bucket-washed yesterday & I didn`t notice any water spots on the glass (it`s been UPP`d) or paint (#476s) but my Accord is silver & that hides alot.

I just checked the roof (most likely spot for spots) and I can`t see or feel anything out of the ordinary. I`ve got 3 layers of #476s that are holding up great so perhaps the surface is just too slick & the RainX residue just rolls off.
    "Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they`re open"

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe Satin Silver Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information