Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bike that I love to ride and I need to take it places. On my old car, I didn`t care about the paint so the rack was fine. On my new car, I used it once a while ago and it marred the paint pretty bad and took quite some time to polish out. Does anyone have any tips to keep this from happening? Maybe put some microfiber buffing bonnets on the feet of the rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the type of car that you have, but I use a hitch rack. I got a receiver hitch installed for like $200. I use a 1 1/4 inch rack. You can get the rack for $100.

This costs alot more than the strap on racks, but they are more secure and do not mar the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a good discussion about bike racks on this thread a while back.

PC.

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a full roof rack system, but I have boats, skis, and bikes. I committed to my toys before my paint. This is not to mention the ancient nature of my paint.

My first vote in your situation is to look into mounting a tow hitch--U-Haul will install Hidden Hitch and a couple of other brands and they are very fast and pretty cheap. Barring this cost, there several trunk-mount brands that use straps and only touch the license plate. This would be your cheap, mar-free option. For stability and security, the hitch mount with a Yakima or Thule set up would be your best long-term option (and it still gives you access to your trunk for shoes, lid, clean clothes, etc...).
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bullfrog

Maybe put some microfiber buffing bonnets on the feet of the rack?
    I`m in the same boat, and that`s what I do. I`m riding rack-positive, and mar-free:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bullfrog

Maybe put some microfiber buffing bonnets on the feet of the rack?
    That`s a great way to ensure the rack wiggles and vibrates while you drive. And any road dirt in the bonnets will then grind into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 01 Mustang. I think the same way as you. I do not want to put roof rack on because it wrecks the paint. I ride my bike twice a week so that means the roof rack would have to stay on the roof. Don`t like that at all! I had a light duty hidden hitch installed and bought a hitch mount bike rack. LOVE IT. When the rack is off you can`t even see the hitch. Best of all, no scratches in paint and no roof rack when not in use! Not expensive to mount hitch. I think 95.00 for hitch and 25.00 for labor. Let me see if I can post some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the bike rack with my bike....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the hitch without bike rack installed. It`s actually under the bumber so you really have to look under the car to see it when rack is not installed. Works well for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information