Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my new years resolution was to actually get something done in the garage instead of just thinking and wishing. So since it was 60* outside on the first of January I decided to get crack`n .

And for anybody thinking about doing this, I say jump in head first. It`s a pretty straight forward and easy job. It took me about 6 hrs to lay the tile and most of that was waiting for the adhesive to tack up, and cutting the trim pieces.

Total cost $180 and a 12 pack! So, for your viewing pleasure...

Materials:

Before

After:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice.

That`s EXACTLY the floor I think of when I think garage- nice job!

:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful...makes an amazing change in the room doesn`t it?

Congrats!

Peter...in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    Wont jacks and jackstands tear up the tile?
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. The floor looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks great! You did a very nice job - now get the car in there and enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Steve1996LT1

Nice job. The floor looks great!

IME you have to think a moment before you use them. Trolley jacks haven`t caused a floor problem for me...but I`m careful not to slide the wheels around sideways which would scrape the tiles.

Stands require a plywood pad to keep the feet from gouging.

It`s a small hassle to put up with but the rewards are more than worth it IMO and as erok01 will probably agree.

Peter..in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    VERY nice job!! My garage floor needs some serious help!!

What did you have to do to prep the floor? I would like to do something like this in my garage.

I snowmobile and I`m wondering how that type of floor would hold if the floor was to get wet during the winter months?

Thanks,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I play darts/watch tv/have weekly poker in my garage more then I jack the car and have it on stands. But like Pete said just a little bit of care and a rubber utility mat and no scrapes.

I do have a quick question for those that have this done in there garage. What kinda sealant did you guys use. I`ve seen some at home depot, will that suffice? And how many times do you apply it, once, twice a year?

As far as prep it was pretty easy. I just used some concrete cleaner/degreaser and a brush then washed down the concrete.

Waited about 12-15 hrs with a couple fans pointing to the floor and then went to town with the adhesive and tile. My floor was pretty smooth and fairly clean , at least for a 55 year old slab.

I can`t really offer to much info on the durability with water but after its sealed I assume a squege and drain or out the garage door would work pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of tile was it? It looks awesome!

Do you actually park your car in there, take a pic of that!
    2002 Audi TT 180

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response. That`s my problem my house was built in 1969 and the previous owners did not take car of the garage floor at all. They used water-based paint to paint the floor. :nixweiss :angry Now when ever there is moisture or water on the floor the paint just rolls off.

The cement is also chipping away so I`m not sure how the tiles would adhere to the floor. Thereâ€â„¢s only one-way to find out and that`s to try it!

Thanks again,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I don`t want to discourage you from doing it but if the floor isn`t smooth don`t even try. The tile will bend pretty easy if you heat it but if you have lots of uneven cracks I don`t think it would turn out too good. I had one crack and it was smooth just a slight surface crack, nothing to fill. My floor also had a slight ramp where the garage door met the floor and the tile worked out great there. If your takling about cracks that you can stub your toe on I would have to say that they are to big to tile.

The tiles are armstrong vct .59 sq/ft at The Depot.

Darksyde, funny you ask about car pics. The reason I had the garage empty was I blew a head gasket the day before New Years and it looks like someone poured a bucket full of chocolate milkshake in my engine. So yes you will see some pics of my car in there but its going to be of my new car

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by erok01

I do have a quick question for those that have this done in there garage. What kinda sealant did you guys use. I`ve seen some at home depot, will that suffice? And how many times do you apply it, once, twice a year?

Sealer is what led me to a professional janitorial supply house. What a goldmine they are!

I took a tile with me and they matched it up to the proper sealer..there are more than a few...for it and my useage. I sealed the floor with 3 coats...took 2 gallons...using a lambswool applicator. I`ll be stripping and re-sealing in early Spring...so I`d say about 3 to 4 times a year overall.

I also set myself up with a wringer bucket and string mop for the surface as well as a good cleaner that won`t take up my sealer and doesn`t require rinsing. It`s just like a proper automotive shampoo vs Dawn.

Since we`re now into wet sloppy winter I do the floor as often as I can...I have found that a shop vac does a much better job with the run-off water from the cars than the squeege. It also collects a lot of the crud that comes with the snow melt and thus reduces abrasion damage to the tiles.

Peter...hobbyist janitor...in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    for jackstand on my vct floor, i have a few extra tiles i use to place under them, not problems yet.

wait till you strip, seal and wax the floor, it will make it look just that much better!

looks SWEET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Good!!! great job!!!
    `07 slate Tundra 5.7 DC LB

`06 tungsten pearl IS350

`05 phantom grey tundra

`03 black onyx IS300 5speed

`93 brilliant black Cwest RX7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information