Post Thanks / Like
    As many of you may know, I posted recently about how I wanted to do a tire rotation on my vehicle. The problem was, however, that my lug nuts were on way too tight and I could not remove them with the factory included lug nut wrench. At that time, I was experiencing much disappointment.

Not being one to easily give up, I posted on Autopia and found some great suggestions of what steps to take. One member in particular, dashotgun, recommended an inexpensive solution. This solution was the Gorilla Bar from the Tirerack. Let me say that I am absolutely in love with this new tool!

For less than twenty dollars shipped, you get the expandable wrench, two sockets that can accommodate any size of lug nuts, and a carrying case. I compared the size and strength of this wrench to the standard factory one, and let me say that it blows the standard right out of the water!

When I went to remove the first lug nut, I used the wrench at its full length, and I encountered no resistance whatsoever. Removing the over tightened lug nuts was an absolute breeze, and I barely broke out a sweat.

If you`re tired of sore joints, a broken back, or just pure frustration of over tightened nuts, do yourself a favor and buy a Gorilla wrench. Throw out that wimpy factory wrench and keep the Gorilla in your car, you won`t regret it!

Thanks to the kind folks of this board, I don`t know what I would have done without you!

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on defeating your problem. Just be sure to use a torque wrench when you reinstall the lug nuts. The owner`s manual will specify the torque setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on vacation in Spain last year and I was in a shop in Barcelona and, naturally, had to look at the car stuff. I spotted a wrench almost exactly like yours. Sliding design with extra sockets, etc. It was made in Germany, TUV approved, etc, etc. Less than $10 with the exchange rate. I bought two of them!

I had carry on luggage and on the way home we went through Rome. Imagine the look I got from the customs officials and security when they looked at my wrenches. They surely could have been weapons! No problem, though. Maybe I looked like a gearhead! Crazy tourists!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

Just be sure to use a torque wrench when you reinstall the lug nuts. The owner`s manual will specify the torque setting.

I currently own a Craftsman torque wrench which I plan to use. I find it somewhat bulky and hard to set the torque on, though. I might order Gorilla`s inexpensive torque wrench (around $23) just to "complete" the set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome, glad the suggestion was useful

Post Thanks / Like
    JM,

Glad things worked out. Seems like a nice quality tool to have around.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome tool... Might be in my toolbox in the future...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

Awesome tool... Might be in my toolbox in the future...

I live outside of Philadelphia and my wrench arrived one day after it shipped. Now that`s what I call service! The warehouse is in Newark, DE, so I imagine you would receive it in the exact same timeframe.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW. I`ve been using an `X` type Spinner Lug Wrench from Groit`s (11935 $30) to remove wheels for concourse detailing, I like the idea of even pressure (pull uo lh, push down rh)

And I recalibrate them with a torque wrench once done.

I may get the gorilla wrench for the GF, her idea of foot-pounds is to stand on a bar like that and apply her 100lbs weight to it (LOL)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information