Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.epinions.com/content_133949853316

Panasonic 15.6 volt Cordless Impact and Drill/Driver EY6535

I bought this and I find it amazing- one of the best tools I have ever bought.Panasonic makes really great drills- though one would never expect that. Many who have owned both prefer them to Dewalt, Makita, and Milwaukee.

Do get the accessory handle for it though- or the super torque 1100 inch pounds- could break your wrist.

You can drill with it- drill pilot holes- swap out the chuck with a single button- and use a 1/2 inch socket adapter on it as well- drives 4 inch lag bolts into pressure treated wood- and surely will unstick your lug nuts since it has more torque than most of the impact drivers out there.

The cool thing is there are three chucks on it- a drill bit chuck, a driver hex chuck, and the 1/2 inch socket (which is always on).

Post Thanks / Like
    My OPINION based on MY experience...if they are really on there, the impact wrench won`t budge them. Rent a heavy duty breaker bar (3/4" drive) that`s plenty long, and get the right socket, use penetrating oil if you need to. I understand Aurora40`s comment about not being able to get the WD off the studs; usually the auto manufacturers specify torque values with unlubricated threads--if you lube them, you can effectively overtorque them and neck the studs or snap them, but the penetrating oil on the affected threads can be removed with a can of brake cleaner after ur done, so don`t be afraid to use the penetrating oil if you have to. I think it`s a good idea to make sure the tapered seating areas of the nuts and the wheels are free of crap, also, before you reassemble.

As Aurora mentioned, there are real safety issues with this, so if you have any doubts, make sure you take the car somewhere that can evaluate/fix properly.

I know of only one place that actually uses torque wrenches (EuroTire here in NJ)...in fact, thanks for reminding me about the Craftsman socket that cracked as punishment for me asking the gas station to rotate my tires while they were doing my brakes. Of course they rotated them differently than in my CAREFULLY DRAWN DIAGRAM, and when I went to fix them found that they were almost impossible to remove--hence the cracked socket that I need to exchange.

That`s why whenever possible I do that kind of stuff myself...just thinking about my poor wheels and rotors at that ungodly torque :scared

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an even cheaper solution The gorrilla bar and a torque wrench from Tirerack.com The gorilla bar extends out like a breaker bar. I like simple mechanical solutions.

torque wrench

gorilla bar

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dashotgun

There is an even cheaper solution The gorrilla bar and a torque wrench from Tirerack.com The gorilla bar extends out like a breaker bar. I like simple mechanical solutions.

torque wrench

gorilla bar

So you are saying that the gorilla bar should be able to remove the lug nuts? I think this would be a wise solution as I don`t really have the space right now for a compressor for the impact wrench.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is a great chance they would work. I have had excellent luck with it and even if is does not work it is a good tool to have around, and for under 20 bucks with shipping it is a steal. I have their consumer grade torque wrench for putting the lugs back on as well.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dashotgun

I think there is a great chance they would work. I have had excellent luck with it and even if is does not work it is a good tool to have around, and for under 20 bucks with shipping it is a steal. I have their consumer grade torque wrench for putting the lugs back on as well.....

Would this set include all that I need?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/gor1721.jsp

I already have a torque wrench, so I would only order the Gorilla Bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take it to NTB tomorrow, they will rotate it for free!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the one I have although I also ordered one deep socket for my locking lug but I don`t really need it. David

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by armoredsaintt

Take it to NTB tomorrow, they will rotate it for free!

Does this apply to tires bought at NTB?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutly no WD40. I worked in a tire shop for two years. No oils or penetratnts at all. When you use these products your wheels WILL come loose again after time and you don`t want that. 9 out of 10 times it`s not that they are to tight. It`s because they have a bit of rust building up. Breaker bars will break your studs. If you have to stand on your jack arm you are putting more pressure than an impact gun. The reason impact guns are good is because they work like a hammer drill. The only way I would take them off is have a mechanic heat them up with a torch and they will spin off. Just my opion make sure you check with a good mechanic first.

Clinton

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I`ve only ever worked on my cars, but the only times mine have been crazy tight is when a shop did it. I have never had rusty lugs or wheel studs. It is always torque. You can`t fix that without applying torque again in the opposite direction.

I can see what you are saying about rust and in that case the torque of trying to force them loose might damage the stud. But if they are on because of torque, the studs are continuously under stress until they stretch to relieve the overtightening. So the torque you need to loosen them will decrease the stress on the stud, not spike it (assuming you apply the torque in a smooth fashion, I`d never jump on something attached to my lug nut).

And JM19, you can buy electric impact wrenches for limited use. That might make more sense than an air compressor. In the end, we can only offer solutions to possible problems. You are the one who can see the lugs, knows when they were last tightened, and by whom. Heck, for all we know, your lugs were only hand tightened the last time, and the wheel pushed out and caused the lugs to strip across the stud and now it`s all fused together. That`s incredibly unlikely, but the thing is, no one but you can really know.

Since it seems you are a little unsure, I`d do what was previously suggested. Pay a shop you trust to loosen them, or to rotate the tires and use a torque wrench to properly retighten them. Then save money on the *next* rotation.

Post Thanks / Like
    So did they come loose yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I think I have run out of options in terms of doing it myself. I called my local NTB this morning and for $10 they said they would rotate my tires. I figure for the price and expertise this is probably the best way to go for now. I plan on taking my car this Tuesday morning to have it done.

I was wondering, would it seem too bold to ask the folks at NTB if they would mind retightening the lugs with a torque wrench to the proper specs instead of using their usual air wrench method? I figure if I am paying for the service and seeking to be satisfied with the job, it would be a no more than a small favor. What is the general consensus on doing such a thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    considering they are supposed to properly torque them anyway your request does not seem out of line. They normally don`t but they should and after you asking for it they should just say of course sir...... After they get yours off im sure they will understand why you wanted them properly torqued

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m glad to hear it won`t be too much to ask for. If they do give me a problem, I`ll just tell them I`m taking my business elsewhere. Within the area there are least four places that would be able to do a tire rotation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information