Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelving??

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a little problem. I need some heavy duty shelves for my basement (I know this is for garages but in the winter time my basement is my storage area ). The cheap old ones I have now are all bowed an tipsy. I would like a nice heavy duty shelving unit. Nothing fancy like doors and stuff, just good old fashioned sturdy shelves.

Thanks.

EDIT: It can not attatch to the walls. It has to me free standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya might try searching online or the phone book. Guy I know found several "Heavy Duty" vendors locally in the Yellow pages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

I have been searching online but not having much luck finding vendors. Most are just wholesalers that supply to warehouses and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if they still have them, but a couple years back IKEA had these storage shelves. They were metal frames and had some very rough boards (2x4s or 2x6s) screwed into them. Looked very industrial. Pretty solid, if I remember, and they were under about $30 each. They were maybe 6 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 18 inches deep. Not pretty, but practical. You might try their website.

At all else, I bet you could make something from 2x4s and MDF for less than $50/unit, if you had to.

Post Thanks / Like
    The top end shelves they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. are pretty good. These are the ones that use a piece of plywood or particle board for the shelf and metal for the frame. Personally, I make my own. If I need super heavy duty, I take 2x4s and make a rectangular frame which is topped by a piece of 7/16" MDF cut to fit. I`ll build a few of these the same and use 2x4s for the verticle supports at each corner and at 3 to 4` intervals on the sides. My shelves are sturdy enough to put an engine block on without bowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of making my own as well. I am going to head to Lowes this evening an see what all they have to offer. I am thinking either make one out of 2x4 and MDF like you all said or eve out of "L" shaped steel, with the holes in them, (not sure the correct term) and make some shelves with that and that way they would be easily adjustable if I need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a really big fan of industrial wire shelving. Wire shelving is very rugged, very versatile, easy to keep clean, easy to re-configure and easy to break down and move. You can buy it in pre-packaged shelf units or as pieces to build into any conceivable layout.

The one drawback is that the best quality "Made in USA" products can be a bit pricey. Some of the offshore manufactured versions are actually pretty good quality but only come in a limited number of layouts.

Many department stores, home centers and hardware stores have some version or other.

http://www.industrialhouse.com/Storage/Metro/index.html

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=&topnav=&cat=

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....3010&SKU=92419

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Let me check at work and see how much diamond plate sheeting we have laying around

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2001civicex

I am thinking of making my own as well. I am going to head to Lowes this evening an see what all they have to offer. I am thinking either make one out of 2x4 and MDF like you all said or eve out of "L" shaped steel, with the holes in them, (not sure the correct term) and make some shelves with that and that way they would be easily adjustable if I need to.

Angle iron is a good way to go, but more expensive. My shelves are not adjustable or very portable. What I do is make the bottom shelves with more clearance because you`re more likely to put heavier items on bottom shelves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, if you can get Diamond plate sell that stuff on ebay! LMAO!

Pondscum, Thanks for the bigger bottom shelf idea. I did not even think of it but glad you said something cause I will want more room down there. Thanks! I am not sure I will be able to find the 5` sections of angle with holes that i need. I am going to check the local hardware tonight. I think instead of building 10` of shelves I am going to build like 4` of shelves then next to that a 4` bench with shelving on top of it. I need a bench area down there to use for boxing products up and shipping stuff so that will be a good thing to have as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehehe no ebay I dont want to take from work and try to make a profit But they dont mind scraps (18"x36or48") strips being taken for use by employees. Would make for some cool shelves.

Post Thanks / Like
    How thick are they? and where do you work? LOL

I miss the days of working in a shop and being able to make custom parts and stuff and have all sorts of steel available.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the indutrial wire shelves too and Target and Lowes have decent pricing.

There is another option: Elfa shelves from The Container Store. They are somwhat economical during the annual 20-30% off sales and they look great when done right and its a modular system that offers baskets for sports equipment, etc.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go to Menards and get these brackets in there shelving area....they are made to fit 2x4s into them and you can configure your shelves (height/width) as big as you want.

Basically the brackets make up all your corners/ joints....you buy the # of pieces you need to make the shelf the size you want...then all you have to do is get 2x4s and cut them to the lengths you want them. Very sturdy looking....brackets are black steel

MIKE

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to look at Lowes and Homedepot tonight I think and see what all they have. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

I think I will have a hard time finding 5` angle to be honest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information