Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I use all Honda fluids for everything but oil and antifreeze and washer fluid.

When I change my oil in my teg, I do Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 and I add a bottle of Chevron Techron to the fuel as well. When I add the CT, I use the bottle directions (go to gas station with 1/4 tank or less, add CT, then fill up). BTW: I use a Honda Oil Filter as well. No problems here at 86k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gsr are your oil filters Nippon. I saw a set of four on ebay for only 12.00 plus shipping. They say there authentic just for hondas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

I use all Honda fluids for everything but oil and antifreeze and washer fluid.

When I change my oil in my teg, I do Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 and I add a bottle of Chevron Techron to the fuel as well. When I add the CT, I use the bottle directions (go to gas station with 1/4 tank or less, add CT, then fill up). BTW: I use a Honda Oil Filter as well. No problems here at 86k miles.

That`s what I have my gf using :up

Just remember everyone, do keep all of your receipts when DIYing, something happened to her upper engine block (?), some kind of fluke, and needed replacing. If we were unable to swiftly fax over receipts and records of the service Honda told us they probably wold not have honored the warranty.

And also, please consider filling this out:

http://www.righttorepair.org
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip, but i wish I had a warrenty on my car. That day passed many, many, many, years ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Acura, I`m using it in my truck and I like it. It feels good in the engine to me, although I`m not an auto-expert. Also there`s a good rebate on Maxlife now so the price is definitely right.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebat...sp?rebateid=10

There`s a free ebook on the net called the Motor Oil Bible which is VERY comprehensive. Lots of data...so much you can probably drown in it, but it does have some good charts for quick reference and the author rates many oils numerically. Bottom line according to MOB, the best oils to use are the synthetics. Amsoil rated #1, Mobil 1 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like
    i work at a valvoline instant oil change part time now for about 6 months, and the max life line is recommended for vehicles with over 75,000 miles. it has additives in it that condition the seals in your engine so they don`t harden as the engine gets older. as far as being a band-aid, i guess it kind of is a band-aid because the seals will eventually wear out no matter what you do. the next question is, does the additives really do their job or is it just another way to charge more money for a "premium oil". i`ll let you make that decision, cause only the manufacturer knows for sure and they sure won`t tell.

as for adding a fuel treatment for cleaning the engine(per the original post) i add a fuel injector cleaner every oil change, but this is only to clean the injectors and is added by pouring right into the gas tank. there is an engine flush treatment that is recommended every 20,000 miles to clean any build-up in the engine. this is done by pouring the treatment into your engine just like you were adding oil, and then running your engine for 5 minutes, and then doing a regular oil change.

also, any of you with hondas or acuras, that change your oil, when you put the drain plug back in, you need to replace the gasket every time. they have a crushed gasket on the drain plug that "seats" when you torque the drain plug down. if you put a used gasket back on, you run the risk of an oil leak.

sorry for the long post, thought some of you might find this useful

Post Thanks / Like
    Which seals are you speaking of because I just replaced my valve cover gasket and all my spark plug seals because it was leaking around the valve cover and one of the spark plug seals was blown.

It was very easy to do however.

Post Thanks / Like
    acura95,

i am talking about the front main seal and the rear main seals in particular, but any other seals and gaskets that come into contact with oil will also benefit. there are generally two different type of seals and gaskets, rubber and cork. the cork was popular on older vehicles, and i think rubber is pretty much a standard today (but don`t quote me on this one)

the front main seal usually isn`t too much of a problem although the rear main, most of the time means at minimum unbolting the engine from the transmission bell housing to provide clearance to get to the seal to replace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information