Post Thanks / Like
    What about a carpeted garage? I came across this company just now: http://www.autex.co.nz/carpet/cptgallery.html

Does anyone use carpet in their garage like this? Pro`s and con`s? This brand seems to cope with liquids of all kinds quite well, and it would certainly keep the garage quiet and warm.

I`m contacting them for a price.

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    no way for me, I actually do engine/suspension work in my garage which involves fluids and grease everywhere, which has to be cleaned up with a degreser and a hose.

i guess it would be ok if it is for like a showcar garage with light traffic and no spills
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    When I think of all the muck and bulletes that I would bring into the garage on my tyres,I think I would end up spending more time cleaning the garage carpet than the car!

I would paint it unles you could afford tiles.Steer clear of carpet which I rekon would attract moisture.
    1959 model Mini,Speedwell Blue.

1971 Mk1 Ford Capri,Red.

1990 Peogeot 1.9 205 GTI,Red.

2001 Ford Focus Ghia Diesel,Metallic Phantom Black.Arrrrrrgggghhh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t sound like a good idea for a working garage. From:

http://www.autex.co.nz/carpet/cptcare.html

Clean Spills Immediately

Immediate spot removal is essential to ensure the stain does not set into the carpet backing. Surface cleaning methods include liquid shampoo and dry-foam systems, followed by wet vacuum, the powder cleaning system and the like. NB surface cleaning is not a substitute for corrective or restorative cleaning in commercial areas."

Post Thanks / Like
    As I sit in my home office right now listening to torential rain beating down, I have to agree - a garage is perhaps not the place for carpet!

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    my neighbor has a carpeted garage... i tend to think that the oil will stain it tho, and water from who knows where will cause it to smell and create mildew

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ken,

I ran a detail business out of a shop that lowered cars in Bellvue, WA that had a carpeted floor. Since all the cars I buffed at the time were either brand new or special interest, oil leaks were not really a concern. Splatter from my Makita rotary buffer were however. No big deal, I just went of the carpet with a Hoover vacuum cleaner and for the most part, it came out looking pretty clean again.

I liked it for working on exterior buffs. It gave the garage a real cozy atmosphere.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    actually now that i think about it... having a carpet would be pretty nice on the knees for buffin out lower portions of the car right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep a old or new :p mat/rug in there rolled up, always handy when you need to get down on ya knees or if ya need to look under ya car :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    My only concern would be dampness in the garage and mildew on the carpet with poor ventilation. . Otherwise it can be kept reasonably clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    My uncle had this for a while. All he did was use his old carpet from the house that had been replaced. So when it had to be thrown out a couple years later because of stains, it was no big deal.

I`ll say this...nothing was nicer than this carpet! It was real plush and it was the closest thing I`ve ever experienced to driving your car into your living room. Detailer`s paradise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NavindraLR

actually now that i think about it... having a carpet would be pretty nice on the knees for buffin out lower portions of the car right?

or try this

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a drain in my garage and like to wash my vehicles inside, especially during the winter. Don`t think this would meet my daily driver needs. Now if I had a collection and a few vehicles worthy of the treatment then it would be a different story.,
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thread Information