Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

I`m still in the midst of installing my garage lights, however since putting in overhead strip flourescent lights that I got from Home Depot I am wondering:

How do you affix the white piece/plate that goes on top of the bulbs? I am referring to the long thin sheet metal that is used to covers the entire length of the lights and covers the exposed wires/ballasts, the lights did`nt come with any screws or anything that would securely hold this piece intact... or did I lose them? Do they just clip on?

Post Thanks / Like
    For each side there is a hole near the center of the lamp into which you snap in a twist-clip. There should have been a small plastic bag containing two clips packaged with the lamp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found it! I was cleaning up all the mess and I found them, thanks!

Pics to follow of my newly lighted garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I`m planning on re-doing the lighting in my garage too. What light`s did you use? I take it they are from Home Depot. What are the part numbers?

I`m thinking of three strips in my double car garage each strip containing three double lights.

Any advice?

Thanks,

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed four of the 8`, T-8 lamp fixtures into a 20` x 20` garage. Each lamp fixture holds four 32w, 4` bulbs. I don`t recall the part number; they`re priced at about $42 each at Home Depot and look just like the pic posted by Jon718. You can get the bulbs in bulk - a box of 10 for $16 - much cheaper that way. Get two boxes and you`ll have 4 spare bulbs.

This all went into a 20` x 20` garage. If I open the door at night I can illuminate the front of the neighbor`s house across the street.

I set them up to run on two seperate switches which gives me a little control on the amount of light. Also helps to keep the electric meter from spinning so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MojoMoto

I installed four of the 8`, T-8 lamp fixtures into a 20` x 20` garage. Each lamp fixture holds four 32w, 4` bulbs. I don`t recall the part number; they`re priced at about $42 each at Home Depot and look just like the pic posted by Jon718. You can get the bulbs in bulk - a box of 10 for $16 - much cheaper that way. Get two boxes and you`ll have 4 spare bulbs.

This all went into a 20` x 20` garage. If I open the door at night I can illuminate the front of the neighbor`s house across the street.

I set them up to run on two seperate switches which gives me a little control on the amount of light. Also helps to keep the electric meter from spinning so much.

LOL, Be sure to put on lots of sunscreen.

I was planning on three rows of three 4` shop lights. I have a 24x24" garage. I was thinking of running the rows parallel with the cars. One row down the middle and the other two rows over the sides of the cars. The shop lights are selling for $7.25 (Commercial Electric - 4 Ft. Shop Light - Model HBSL-15) without bulbs.

How did you arrange your lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    I arranged the fixtures so that they`re parallel with the cars at 4 foot intervals so each car sits roughly between two fixtures. I`ve attached a pic - it doesn`t really do justice to the overall improvement but it should give you a good idea of the setup. There`s a fifth light hanging in the center - that and a single incandescent bulb was all I had previously.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what the garage lighting was like originally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    :shocked wow what a difference in lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a huge difference, and again the pics don`t really do it justice. The best clue from the pics is probably shown in the illumination of the paint on the two cars. I`m thinking about adding a row of incandescents along each wall but that may require a new circuit.

Thread Information