Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I took the plunge last fall and coated by garage floor. I wanted to do it myself and after lots of researched decided on UCoat It (www.ucoatit.com). I thought I would post a review of the product after living with it for about 7 months and my impressions in the application process.

What I got: UCoat It and UGloss-AF. The UCoat It is the base product and is applied in 2 steps. A bonding coat and a finish coat. One could just use this product alone, but I elected to top it with the UGloss-AF. This top coat adds gloss and depth, and is suppose to be used in areas that will be exposed to automotive fluids.

The product: I ordered a UCoat It kit and a UGloss-AF kit. The kits contain everything you will need to apply the product except for long handle to attach to a roller. They arrived packaged in the five gallon buckets that will be used to mix the product. There were written instructions and a video detailing the procedures. I liked the inclusion of the roller, paint brushes (for trimming), roller pads, safety goggles, gloves, stir sticks, and even a plastic sheet for preparing the product, which can ultimately be used as a bag for disposal of all waste. The only additional items needed were the roller stick handle, muriatic acid, hose and water. The instructions were thorough and explained all the necessary steps of applying the product. Also included were instructions for prepping the floor. My only complaint about the instructions involves the UGloss-AF. It is a solvent based product that has quite a strong odor (nail polish remover like). Additionally deep in the instructions there is mention that the fumes are flammable. I inquired about this aspect and was informed that is advisable to turn off all pilot lights for a 24 period after application.

Prep Procedures: My garage was basically new construction and had only been used for 8 months prior to the application of the UCoat It and did not have any real problems to deal with. There was a crack that I elected not fix (UCoat It will not cover cracks). I was very anal about the prep process though and used a power sprayer a couple of time and full strength Simple Green to scrub a couple of spots that were “greasy†in appearance. Over all the prep was difficult but it was somewhat time consuming. I had a lot of dirt and dried mud from laying sod and tracking it through the garage that was somewhat tedious to remove.

Application Process. Not difficult at all. I was worried about coverage and should not have been. Since the first coat is applied to a damp/wet misted floor the coverage goes much further than I thought. I was at the upper end of the (within 25 sq. ft.) of needing another kit. However I had no problems. I had a lot of product left over after the first application. Note the first application will not cover the floor in complete solid coat. It will looks somewhat “splotchyâ€. The second coat will bring out the final color and coverage. Once again goes on very easy with the a roller with handle attached. Note that I did the application by myself in the evenings in October with ambient temperatures in the lower 60’s and low relatively low humidity for southern Indiana. I mention this because the product has a cure time that is dependent on humidity and temperature (higher humidity and temperature results quicker cure times and limited “pot life†after mixed). The product is very forgiving and can be mixed in small batches if the cure time is a problem. The UGloss-AF is more difficult to apply for the mere fact it is difficult to see with applying because it is the same color as the final color. You can only tell where it has been applied by the “shiny†appearance. The tip here is to apply it very thick. It is a self leveling product. The difficulty in telling where the product has been applied resulting in some imperfections in my applications ranging from “roller†marks of not quite complete coverage (looks like paint when the roller is getting a little dry) and couple of completely missed spots where my roller marks didn’t over lap. These imperfections don’t show up until after it has cured completely. The good news is this is fairly common and UCoat It will send you a “touch up†kit for free to fix these missed spots. Blends perfectly and you can’t tell where it was.

Textured surface: Due to snow, rain, and car washing in my garage I knew the surface would get wet. I thought it would also get very slippery. The product comes with texture crystal to spread out during the initial bonding coat. The use of the textured material is optional. I used it on the traffic areas because I know my wife. The texture material is a double edged sword. If changes the look of floor. The areas where the texture is looks rough maybe like there is dirt there whereas the rest is really smooth. However you are definitely not going to slip on this stuff. You can’t see it when put it down. It completely blends in. However when dry it looks like small mountains in the bond coat. The application of two other coats in my case calmed this “mountainous†look down but it is still noticeable. Use it sparingly. they give you enough texture to do 10 garages in my opinion.

Finished Look: Awesome. Looks very professional, glossy, and clean. I could not be happier with the finished look. Even my skeptical wife thinks it looks good. Very easy to clean up on also. However, it does show dirt more easily now.

Durability: Very good. I have had no lifting problems at all. Even the hot 285 wide tires on the Porsche has not phased it. I also have had no problems with stains. Every thing wipes off. For some reason my wife’s BMW leaves black rubber marks (here car brings in more dirt than any car I have seen also) but they wash off with water and mop. I have rolled around a floor jack with no ill effect to the floor. However, I have scratched the surface. I took off the winter tires off my wife’s BMW and was installing the summer tires this spring and while moving the winter tires around I managed to scratch the floor with a couple of rocks that were imbedded in the treads of the snow tires. A call to UCoat It resulted in them shipping me a patch kit for free. I have not had a chance to apply it though. The customer service is impeccable.

The only other issue I have had is some scratching in the area where the tire tracks of my wife’s car are. I don’t know what she drives through but it appears as if rocks in the treads have caused the scratches. The scratches are not overtly noticeable (very narrow) and should be fixed by the patch kit. The scratches seem to be caused by skidding or sliding of the tires when wet (with rocks in the tread). My wife has complained about this a couple of times when coming into the garage when it was raining or lots of snow on the roads. I think it is caused by coming into the garage a little too fast. I have not experienced this problem. It is also interesting that the scratches have only happened when using the certain tires on the car. Two other cars have been driven in and out of the other side of the garage in the same conditions with no ill effect. It seems the tires on her car are more of a problem than the floor.

Over all and Final impressions: I am very pleased with the results and would recommend UCoat It to anyone interested in a relatively inexpensive floor coating. The people at UCoat It are a pleasure to work with and will answer any questions you have and seem to stand behind their product.

No affliation, yada, yada.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that fine and detailed review, Brian. It answered all the questions I ever had on the product. I am definitely going to consider it for my next garage (this one`s floor is too messed up to do, and I have not enough space to move every out for a week or two to do it.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you tell me whether you applied it on a bare floor or had the floor been painted previously? I used Behr epoxy supposedly good for garages and I followed the instructions exactly, and the paint started lifting almost immediately. Hence I`m a little cautious about trying another epoxy.

Kent
    2002 MB CLK55Cab | 2007 ML63

Garage:

Post Thanks / Like
    Kent,

It was applied to a bare floor with no other previous coatings. There is mention on UCoat It web site about using their product on over another product. It appears it can be done but that the prep work will be very tedious. Contact the people at UCoat It and find out what their recommendation is. It is my understanding from my reading about the Behr and Rustoleum products that the UCoat It product is different from both products in that it is a multi step epoxy. They use a bonding coat which is a three part mixture then the top coat which is a two part mixture (or maybe I have that reversed – I’m not sure it has been 7 months since I applied it). I then went to the next level and applied a gloss coat which is a two part epoxy that is solvent based (unlike the other two which are water based). The down side to this is the bonding coat must be applied and then allowed to cure for minimum period of time (there is a maximum period also) and then the second coat applied and allowed to cure. If you elect for the gloss coat then it also has to cure. I was very cautious and did put any cars on the floor until 7 days after the application of the gloss coat (for one the rubber in your tires can stain the gloss – although they give you plastic parking pads to prevent this). All it all it took me 4 consecutive evenings to apply (1 to clean, 1 to apply first coat, 1 for the next coat and 1 for the gloss).

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review! :up Would love to see a pic of your finished work.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brad B.

Great review! :up Would love to see a pic of your finished work.

Me to!

:up
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have some pictures at home right after I finished. I will get them tonight. If not I will take some tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-up. I would love to see the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I may go with U-Coat it when I do my floor. I have to remove the remaining floor paint on the low traffic areas first. I also have to figure out how to fix the areas that have been damaged by salt over the years. I may need to apply a skim coat of concrete patch on the floor. Not looking forward to that job.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to chime in with my excperience with Behr epoxy...

I did my garage with Behr just recently and it worked just fine.

The key for me was that I needed to etch the surface first and then apply the primer which gives the epoxy a surface to bond to.

So far, no problems with hot wheels although I too have had scratches (careless with lawn edger.)

Ended up going with Behr because of all the different color choices (my wife was very particular about that.)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bet993

I think I have some pictures at home right after I finished. I will get them tonight. If not I will take some tonight.

How about those pics? I would love to see how it turned out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately my garage is an absolute disaster and I am too embarrassed to take pictures of it right now. I have a big plans for yard work and cleaning a portion of the garage this weekend. I will take pictures then. Here are a couple of picture during the application process. These were taken during the curing stage when no traffic is allowed and this is why they look a little splotchy (different stages of curing) the final finish is uniform in color and not splotchy at all. Also these are prior to the U-Gloss coat. I can’t remember if this was after the “base†coat or after the second stage coat. The dark lines are expansion breaks the contractor cut in the floor. I have since filled them in with clear silicone to allow expansion and contraction yet not allow dirt and water to enter the cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    another

Post Thanks / Like
    last one for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bet993

Unfortunately my garage is an absolute disaster and I am too embarrassed to take pictures of it right now. I have a big plans for yard work and cleaning a portion of the garage this weekend. I will take pictures then. Here are a couple of picture during the application process. These were taken during the curing stage when no traffic is allowed and this is why they look a little splotchy (different stages of curing) the final finish is uniform in color and not splotchy at all. Also these are prior to the U-Gloss coat. I can’t remember if this was after the “base†coat or after the second stage coat. The dark lines are expansion breaks the contractor cut in the floor. I have since filled them in with clear silicone to allow expansion and contraction yet not allow dirt and water to enter the cuts.

I hear you loud and clear about cleaning out the garage etc. I just bought this house in August and basically all the junk got shoved in there when we moved in and has been sitting all winter. Hopefully this weekend it will all get cleaned up and ready for my new flooring (whatever I decide to go with!).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information