Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here

They sound like the shiznit! Not cheap but what is anymore.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Since that is coming from Griot`s I will bet that you can go to Lowe`s or Home depot and get it almost half that price....or at least after shipping cost. For the price I would just stick with a fluorescents.

Post Thanks / Like
    i got these from home depot, about $8 for each set, i got 4 for my 10x18ft garage...

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gjj.0&MID=9876

you can see them in action in the background here:

clean car = happy car

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Thoughts on these lights for my garage?

~One mans opinion / observation~

We just completed successful a design/ remodel garage project using HID lighting (Griot’s) resulted in one design and two more remodels, I’m convinced you’ll be satisfied with this form of lighting.

Turborave: I understand the monetary aspect but comparing HID with florescent lighting is not a fair comparison

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    but is the difference worth $180? to me it isnt, i can thing of a billion other things to spend that on than a HID for my garage.
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you got the money to spend do it..if not, the 8 dollar lights work great for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is 24x24. With 9 ft tall ceilings (one section near the back of the garage has 13ft ceiling). I currently have 3 incandescent fixtures (2 in the front, 1 in the rear). How many of the HID`s would I need?

Thanks,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys who are relying on flourescents truly don`t know what you`re missing when it comes to swirl-spotting. I was astounded at the stuff I saw when I first used incandescents. FAR more unforgiving than even halogens, IMO.

My garage has 48 (!) 8` tubes and 8 4` ones. All cool white bulbs. But I still turn them off and use the 8 300w incandescents to spot swirls.

If *I* were building my garage TODAY, I`d get the halides, but high-wattage incandescents are an inexpensive alternative.

CRUZMISL- Get more than you think you need, and don`t have them all switched together. Sometimes you`ll see things better if you only have one or two on, sometimes ones that are NOT located directly over your work area. Lighting is sorta weird when it comes to swirl-spotting.

For general-illumination purposes, you`d still want as many as you can fit/afford. I honestly can`t imagine somebody thinking they have garage lighting that`s too bright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by turborave

[url]

That is such an awesome picture. The car almost becomes invisible it is so reflective.

Post Thanks / Like
    The lights from Griots takes a few minutes to fully warm up too, keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CRUZMISL

My garage is 24x24. With 9 ft tall ceilings (one section near the back of the garage has 13ft ceiling). I currently have 3 incandescent fixtures (2 in the front, 1 in the rear). How many of the HID`s would I need?

Thanks,

Joe

The HID`s (metal halide) are awesome! I "think" I remember seeing them for about 100 at the home depot. You would need 2 max. Same thing they use to light the inside of coliseums and football fields. They take about 5 min to warm up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking about placing two Metal Halides` in my garage. I have a two car garage. Do you think one lights on each side would be suffience?

Ron
    Ron Bowen-always trying to learn and improve my skills of the trade, 2003 Chevy Tahoe, Charcoal Metallic

Click here to visit my gallery

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT , since you have personally used these lights can you explain the differneces and advantages to flourescent lights. I have been thinking about using these lights in my garage remodel this year. Thanks for the help

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to perpetuate that rumor about Griot`s being expensive, check this out

http://www.e-conolight.com/cgi-bin/s...key=e-cc2m17qw

1/2 Price!

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: TOGWT , since you have personally used these lights can you explain the differences and advantages to fluorescent lights. I have been thinking about using these lights in my garage remodel this year. Thanks for the help

~One mans opinion / observation~

Lighting is specified by colour temperature (degrees K) as well as Lumens (output) and a colour-rendering index (CRI 1-100)

HID lighting gives a ‘white’ light and a low CRI (3500K, 80) and is better for ‘general’ lighting.

A T12 fluorescent light (5000K, 90) is better for ‘spot’ lighting as it is closer to sunlight (6000K)

The ‘ideal’ detailing lighting would be a combination of both these lighting types (high level HID for each bay and wall mounted / potable T12 fluorescents)

The garage we designed /built was for a service/repair facility, hence the ‘general’ lighting.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information