Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    k...i`ll play the devils advocate here.

i would have designed the house very differently. to me at least, it looks just like a much larger version of of mass produced bungalo`s i see everywhere. when you drive by, the closest thing to the road is the garage while the enterance to the house almost seems like an afterthought tucked in the corner. i think the main enterance should be the most eye catching element when you drive by especially on a big house. i would have moved the 2 car garage to the left of the 4 car so at least that way you can have a large enterance with a pathway and hvae your cars parked infront of the house instead of off to the side.

I`m not crazy on the brick finish. on a house that size, the bricks look out of place. something like a nice stone finish would have set off the look nicely. something either larger or a continuous finish with a darker accent for the windows and other trim. i`m not a fan of red bricks with big flat surfaces.

i just feel the house is to divided into too many sections and doesnt really have an open feeling to it. also the idea that you can see the door to the master bedroom as soon as you walk in the house kinda bugs me. . also a single door to the master bedroom?

I`m glad you`re happy with your project and i`m sure you`ll be very happy with it when its completed but its not how i would have designed it.
    B&W Speakers, Transparent cables, Classe amps coming soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2000_EBP_civic

I`m glad you`re happy with your project and i`m sure you`ll be very happy with it when its completed but its not how i would have designed it.

There is no accounting for taste and with this post you have proven that statement without a doubt.

Dean, your house is beautiful.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2000_EBP_civic

k...i`ll play the devils advocate here.

i would have designed the house very differently. to me at least, it looks just like a much larger version of of mass produced bungalo`s i see everywhere. when you drive by, the closest thing to the road is the garage while the enterance to the house almost seems like an afterthought tucked in the corner. i think the main enterance should be the most eye catching element when you drive by especially on a big house. i would have moved the 2 car garage to the left of the 4 car so at least that way you can have a large enterance with a pathway and hvae your cars parked infront of the house instead of off to the side.

I`m not crazy on the brick finish. on a house that size, the bricks look out of place. something like a nice stone finish would have set off the look nicely. something either larger or a continuous finish with a darker accent for the windows and other trim. i`m not a fan of red bricks with big flat surfaces.

i just feel the house is to divided into too many sections and doesnt really have an open feeling to it. also the idea that you can see the door to the master bedroom as soon as you walk in the house kinda bugs me. . also a single door to the master bedroom?

Well, OK :nixweiss There are certainly many ways to dress, cut your hair, or build you home. I guess that you can`t please everyone. One part of your post that I do agree with...I`m happy with the project. And as Frank Sinatra sang...."I did it myyy waaay!."

GearHead_1: Thanks for the compliments. I`m looking forward to seeing your home coming into reality.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

Trusses went up today and about 40% of the roof sheeting is on. I`ll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: Lights are up!

I`m a little disappointed in the color tone of the metal halide lights. They`re sort of yellowish and take about 5 minutes to warm up. Once they`re at full brightness, it`s actually painful to stare at them.

Four Car Garage

Two Car Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    First: It is looking very beautiful congratulations

Second: Is the 2 car for your daily drivers, and the 4 car more of a sports car / workshop hideaway and does the 4 car enter in to the house anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    tpgsr,

Thanks for reply. The 2 car garage is for our daily drivers which are currently a 2004 Honda Odyssey and 2005 Subaru STi. The 4 car garage is for the "garage queens."

The 2 car garage has the entry into the house. There is a pass through door between the 2-car and 4-car garages. Please refer to page 1 of the very long thread to get a better visual perspective.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    i am very jealous. congratulations on the hideout/workshop! i am sure you are ecstatic

Post Thanks / Like
    lookin great! In the last 4 car pic there is a wire hangin down whats that to?

What are the 2 rooms on the back side of the 4 car going to be? I see back in the 1st post it looks like storage and.. a study.. but wasnt sure..

we could always use more pics...
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Redcar,

I believe the wires are for the garage door openers.

Yes, the 2 rooms behind the garage are:

(1) Bike/mower/garden tool storage

(2) Home office (where I`ll hide when I`m not in the garage!)

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it wierd that something that does not involve a naked woman is "turning me on"!!!
    2003 SVT Cobra Convertible (White/Tan)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

It`s hard for me to suggest anything given the quality of your garage but let me just throw this out there...

When I moved into my new house, I painted a 4 foot high border around the garage in a very dark blue color (Sherwin Williams-Martha Stewart paint`s Ink color actually). I get many compliments from my neighbors and it helps break up the large amount of white space in the garage....just an idea. You may prefer another color of course. It just gave my garage a nice finished look that compliments my stainless steel workbench and my black wire product shelves.

Your garage looks truly amazing. I can`t wait to see more photos.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is cypress wainscoating if you ever want to dress up the garage walls. Have it in our house because of flood requirements but it really adds a nice touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silverlexus and TW85,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that wainscoating looks very classy. Up to now, I really haven`t thought about the style of garage, but I think that the floor finish is going to determine the color theme. I`m partial to the "sterile white" look since it reminds of an operating room... a place I spend a lot of time in!

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    TW85,

LOL - I was thinking of adding wainscoating to my garage! My father did his garage and it always added a final finishing touch. My current garage is a single garage but I`ve thought it looked empty without the wainscoating.

My fiance thinks I`m NUTS.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information