Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very promising!! I just purchased the same software you have the other day. I`m working off of a floorplan from Donald Gardner architects design with a few modifications and a 2 to 3 car garage conversion. Seven would be nice but four spaces would be empty. Best of luck to you on your project. :up :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to wire the hell out of it. You never seem to have enough electical outlets (110 and 220). And put the house`s central vac unit in an area where you won`t have to listen to it while you`re working in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mini-update:

The foundation outlining the garages is finished. The concrete subcontractor will be pouring the slab soon. The minimal thickness for the 4 car garage will be 5" (3000 psi) in order to make it possible to have the car lifts.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some more pictures from the home design software I`m using. I`ve added landscaping and a driveway design. Any ideas for improvement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

You`re an hour north of Wilmington NC? That would be in the Camp Lejeune area then. I spent 8 years at Camp Lejeune. Beautiful country. And I spent many summer weekends in Wilmington (Wrightsville Beach) when I was single.

You`re right about hurricane country. My last year there (`96), Bertha and Fran came through. Being Marines in base-housing, we had hurricane parties.

Your two garages with attached house look good. But it seems there may be a lot of valuable floor space taken up by the house part

Keep us updated with pics. One of these days I want to build a garage (unfortunately, the wife will make me waste valuable floor space on a house part, too).

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    "mini" update.

Progress is slow. The concrete contractor is preparing to pour the garage floor slab soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean~ 2 drains in each garage>? Also glad to see the plastic going in under the concrete, when it is time to paint your floor you will be verry happy you did this
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that still looks so cool. Pretty sad I complain about my 3-car not being big enough.........
    1969 Fastback 351W

2002 F150 S Crew

1996 Saturn SL1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, fellas.

Redcar, those are not floor drains. I wish that they were! Those 3 areas you see are the piers for the garage posts. The concrete will be pretty thick in those areas.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    no drains! EEK!!

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    No garage drains. Unfortunately, they in violation of local building codes in my area. Darn those laws!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dean

No garage drains. Unfortunately, they in violation of local building codes in my area. Darn those laws!

D

I am not a stalker or anything but in what Area do you live>? Mabe you could "add" them later **hinT** hint**

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    You can have them, or yourself, run the 4" PVC pipe under the gravel base and cap off where the drain would be located. You can then come back later and chip out the thin concrete over the drain cap and install grate. I am in the middle of a garage/house addition and that`s what we are doing to get around the codes. The drain pipe is going through a 6" sleeve in the foundation wall and will be run under ground and tied in with the gutter down spouts that daylight around 60` from the house.

There are other ways to get around the codes, but don`t try to tiy them in to the sewer system. That`s where they get really picky so you can`t dump oil or gas in the sewer.

Nice layout by the way!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

Thanks for posting photos continuously. It makes for a really cool thread...

I found out my neighbor is a concrete contractor and I spoke with him about doing stained concrete. He offered to do my floors at wholesale!

Do you know what color and look your floors will have. I have already made some improvements to my humble 2 car garage but the staining will take it to another level.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SteveL

There are other ways to get around the codes, but don`t try to tiy them in to the sewer system. That`s where they get really picky so you can`t dump oil or gas in the sewer.

Ummm...around here, we refer to it as sanitary sewer and storm drain. The roof gutters would be tied into the storm drain, the sanitary is all the stuff from inside the house. One way to get in REAL TROUBLE here, is to put oil or gas in the STORM drain, which goes into the rivers without any treatment. Not that you are really supposed to put any of that in the sanitary either, but at least that is going to a treatment plant. Not sure what you meant, maybe that it would be hard to catch you in the storm drain, while they might track you back from the treatment plant if they find a lot of stuff there (highly unlikely you could generate enough at your home to raise any flags).

Sorry to be picky, but we once had a visit at work from the Sewer Authority, and we were afraid to wash our oily hands after that...and yes, they put an automated monitor in the sewer line, and no, they were after someone else.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information