Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A most enjoyable thread...
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    ok now we need weekly update pics!
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    A man after my own heart!

I look forward to see the updates as it gets built

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the location of the playroom.

One thing you may want to think about is putting sound insulation in the wall of the master bedroom and the great room. My master is on the other side of the wall from the great room and we can hear the television on the other side of the wall if one of the kids are still up.

Post Thanks / Like
    KevinA et al:

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

UPDATE (May 31,2004)

The trees have been cleared. It`s amazing what 2 guys and heavy machinery can do.

The lot has also required 20+ dump truck loads of land fill. I really think it needs to be graded higher than the surrounding lots to prevent water pooling the yard and around the house. I`ll talk to the builder tomorrow about more dirt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, awesome project. Looks like a primo piece of land there too!
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that looks great, so much green...the house plans look amazing as well!

A few years ago I was single and bought a house, it was a 2 bedroom with a 3 car garage, I told the realtor "I`ll take it!"

And he said, "Do you want to see the inside?"

Needless to say I bought it anyway.
    1969 Fastback 351W

2002 F150 S Crew

1996 Saturn SL1

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome, you sound set. We had a 2 car garage and then built an Additional garage in our backyard w/ a giant wood workshop. We are kicking ourselves in the *** for not making it bigger to take 4 cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking home your starting to build. By any chance are you around the Wilmington area? Keep the pics coming , its kool to follow along . Thanks for the garage ideas .

Good luck

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rollaman,

Yes, I`m about 1 hour north of Wilmington, NC. Hurricaine country, literally!

UPDATE: June 11, 2004

The lot is finally cleared and rough graded:

The concrete "footers" were poured yesterday:

Here`s where the 4-car garage section will be. Funny, it doesn`t look like a big area, but it should be about 46` long and 23` wide here:

Next step? Framing, I assume. :nixweiss

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dean the next step will be the concrete slab for the garage and rest of the house. This is a vital step in the garage , the house they will treat with a decent level of concern becasue it`s living space. The garage however they will regard as just a garage , but don`t let them. You need to express to them that your garage floors need to be perfect , the grades have to be dead on and the final surface needs to be floated out by hand and not a machine. If not they will just run a large trowel machine over the surface and there will be large trowel marks through out and the grades won`t be right meaning that you`ll have high and low spots and that can mean anything from water sitting to the inabilty to use a floor jack in certain area`s. Hope my rambling helps you with your new garage , I mean house. ;-) If you needs any more of my rambling just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    detailbarn,

Any and all advice is welcome!

Actually only the garages will be on a concrete slab. The rest of the home is on a crawl space-type foundation.

Of course, the concrete in the 2 garages is important. I`ve already specified 3000+ psi strength with a minimum thickness of 6 inches in the rear half of the 4 car garage. This is in preparation for 4-post car lifts for future expansion.

As for the concrete finish, I`ve decided to avoid epoxy finishes due to durability issues. The concrete subcontractor will be creating a commercial grade finish with "Stain-crete", as shown here:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Gotta see it when its done. Make sure you add your family name somewhere in that garage.
    Parents: 2000 Buick Regal GSX.1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT,2003 Infiniti FX45, 21` Bayliner Cruiser

Me: I own a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

Regarding the use of a trowel machine. A trowel machine is the only way to get it superflat and finished with any degree of consistency. Finishing a large garage floor by hand is just wrongheaded. I was in that business for 20 years and did nothing but warehouses, laboratories, research labs, manufaturing plants and other commercial/industrial concete floors that were held to extremely strict tolerances. The only thing we ever finished by hand generally was the edges and around imbedded items and columns. It sounds as though your contractor knows what he is doing, just make sure he puts a finish on the surface that the is in accordance with the stain manufacturers` recommendations. A reasonable tolerance would be 1/8" measured in any direction with an 8` straitedge. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe it was the operator of the trowel machine on my garage which is only 24`x24` but the use of the trowel machine left huge trowel marks though out the floor and left a very uneven surface. it actually has a crown in the center and low spots around the edge that hold water.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information