Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of trading some of my 4 footers for some 8 foot fixtures. Good idea or bad?

Also, do any of you guys have lights mounted on the walls?

Post Thanks / Like
    2001civicex- I have a bunch of the 8-footers, both ceiling and wall mounted. They put out a lot of light, good for general-purpose stuff like washing. The wall mounted ones are, IMO, a VERY good idea. These lights are NOT so good for swirl spotting, however. I can never see much marring-wise under fluorescents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I am glad you said that! I have argued with people time and time again about how I can spot swirls MUCH easier in with my halogens than with the fluorescents. I thought it was just me! Do your wall mounted ones get in the way or get bumped a lot?

Post Thanks / Like
    which bulbs are you using? In my experience if you use either cool or ultra cool - it provides a much whiter light and is almost frusturating as it shows every imperfection. They use the ultra cool bulbs in clean rooms and inspection areas for just that reason.

Eric
    If winners never quit, and quitters never win, then people who never quit and never win are just plain idiots :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Who here is using 8` fluorescent light fixtures?

That`s what we had installed. I had one strip installed over each area for a total of three. Using the "hi output" bulbs which do much better in cold weather. I also have a total of six 150W incandescent bulbs...still not enough light but pretty good.

It`s my feeling you can`t have too much light in the typical garage.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I see reference in this thread to HO type fixtures which from my aquarium days I understand. I understand the light output is higher in HO bulbs than normal bulbs. However, I have seen other threads with reference to T8 and T12 type bulbs. Is an HO bulb available in with the newer technology? Is it necessary? Can someone give the info on differences of the bulbs and/or ballast (actually I know the new ballast are electronic vs. tar and that they work better at colder temps and are suppose to much more energy efficient). thanks

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my own studies, T8 are what you want, T12 suck more power and do not light any better (they are an older style that is "on the way out"). JMO.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve equipped my garage with three four foot double bulb flourescent fixtures. To get power to them, I replaced the two single bulb light fixtures with outlets. The flourescent fixtures are now plugged into these outlets (two fixtures in one outlet, one in the remaining outlet). My question, one of the fixtures doesn`t light up immediately or seemingly at all when really cold, whereas the other two do. Thing that gets me, the one that doesn`t is the one that has a dedicated outlet. I purchased all fixtures at the same time and I believe them to be the same model. Anyone have any explanations? How about instructions when comparing ballast, wouldn`t think one to be different from the others, but I can check the ballasts. By the way, all bulbs are from the same box.

Post Thanks / Like
    some of them won`t work at all when the weather gets cold. The "high output" units appear to overcome this.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    2001civicex- Nah, they don`t get bumped. I put `em up about shoulder high.

elortt- I`ve tried the Ultra Cool bulbs in my previous garage, and I now have (Sylvania) cool whites. *I* just don`t see marring as well as under harsh incandescents. I have some 300W incand. bulbs hung over where I polish the car, and *I* like them a LOT better. When I turn off all the other lights and inspect (often with magnification) under those, I see stuff I don`t even find with halogens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. It is a good idea. My electrician had a day or two to fix up my garage for me. When I got back on day 2 he had installed 6 8` flourescents, a few quad recepticle outlets, 2 hose reels, and a security pad for my door. It was well worth it. The light output is wonderfull. You could never have enough light because shadows are everywhere.

Next up a set of cameras for the driveway and front door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Ryan

Next up a set of cameras for the driveway and front door.

And consider a driveway sensor to alert you so you know when to look at your monitor. I wanna know what`s up before somebody`s at the door. You know, see who/how many exit the vehicle, where they go, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. For the truly paranoid. I figured tape is worth a thousand words to the law. It would be all computer driven.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having 8 footers installed in my new garage. Can someone explain the difference betweent he T-8`s and T-12`s to an idiot like me? He hasnt bought the fixtures yet, so I can be specific. He did say they were going to be high output though..

Dana

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlackRegal

T8`s are definitely "better"....

T8 fixtures typically start-up faster.

T8 fixtures typically have much less fluorescent "hum".

T8 fixtures are more efficient

T8 bulbs typically last about 10% longer

T8 lamps tend to produce "truer" daylight color than comparable T12s

Standard T8 ballasts can operate at much colder temperatures than standard T12 ballasts. However, both T8 & T12 have cold start/high output ballasts avaialable which allow the lights to function perfectly fine down to -20F or colder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information