Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must be nice, even with my integra on wheel ramps I struggle to get to the filter
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by albtsang

I would not use wood between my jack and my car. I have had a 2x4 split and the car come crashing down. Fortunately, I was not under the car at the time.

Whoa! Never, ever, ever get under a car that is just held up by a jack. Always supprt with rigid supports or stands.

I know you guys would never forget this, but there was a guy on the news a couple of days ago here, died when his hydraulic jack failed. Apparently he died of suffocation as the weight of the car stopped him breathing.:down
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

Whoa! Never, ever, ever get under a car that is just held up by a jack. Always supprt with rigid supports or stands.

I know you guys would never forget this, but there was a guy on the news a couple of days ago here, died when his hydraulic jack failed. Apparently he died of suffocation as the weight of the car stopped him breathing.:down
    That`s too bad. Yes, NEVER get under a car held up with only a jack. I don`t even like working near it (changing tires, etc.) even though my father has done it on occasion while I look on nervously....

Sometimes what I do is jack up the car, put it down on the safety stands, but leave the jack pad in contact with the front/rear jacking point. This just saves me the trouble of lining it up again later to let it down when I`m done. Ironically, this is something I got from my father. :p

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not for everybody but I have been doing this for years. I slide the jack under the steel cross member that the subframe bolts to. Make sure your are in the middle then jack . Place the stands under the normal jacking points and very slowly lower the vehicle. If the vehicle has very low ground clearance then I drive up on rhimo ramps so that I can get the jack under the middle of the steel cross member. A check to be sure you are in the middle is when raising/jacking the vehicle make sure both wheels are raising the same. You must be careful not to get under the car while jacking and make sure no one leans on the side to shift the balance. You are putting some pressure on your CV joints so go slowly.

good luck and be careful

Post Thanks / Like
    Along the lines of what 4DSC said, there should be a "garage jack point" front and rear to lift an entire end with a floor jack. Check under the front bumper in the center for a support that runs underneath the engine to probably even with the front wheels. On the rear, it would be the rear beam (if so equipped). Both of these will lift the entire end at once with a floor jack. If not comfortable with these (even though this is what a garage uses), try under the control arms (they`ll easily support the weight of the car, but can be hard to get a jack under if the car is lowered). With either of these, you can then use the factory scissor jack points for jackstands.

If you still can`t find any place you think would work, take it to a garage and ask them how they`d do it (without a lift). Any good garage would share that info with you.

Dave

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I looked in the factory manual for my car and yes indeed there are a front and rear lift point! Guess I should have checked there first...
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the KenSilver picture, I have but one question.

How ya gonna remove the jack?:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided the floor jack was not up as high as it would go already you would just raise the car a bit highter, take out the jack stand and lower the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mid-Life Cruiser

Looking at the KenSilver picture, I have but one question.

How ya gonna remove the jack?:nixweiss

Mid-Life,

I figured I would lift the car on the jack to slightly higher than needed, place the stand under the arm and lower the jack arm (and car) down on it.

To remove, lift the jack arm a bit, remove the stand, and pull the jack out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey- I`ve been a mechanic for the past ten years and the best way to lift any car is by the sub frame with an hydraulic jack and small section of 2x4 depending on the vehicle. If you have a specific vehicle in mind shoot me a Q

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot about scissor jacks, its the first thing i throw away when i purchase a vehicle. they can twist or sway when working on a vehicle mon any surface. People tend to lift vehicles too high and put extra stress on the jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Autopians, just a quick question in my mind...

Usually, the 4 jack points of a car is around the corners of the car underbody, but still abit of distance from the front/rear wheel (probably 4" away). Whenever I lift my car using a 2-post car hoist, is it OK to position the 4 arms at the four corners of the underbody nearby the factory recommended jack point such that for the front, it is nearer to the front wheel, and for the rear, it is nearer to the rear wheel without damaging the car. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TINTORO

I forgot about scissor jacks, its the first thing i throw away when i purchase a vehicle. they can twist or sway when working on a vehicle mon any surface. People tend to lift vehicles too high and put extra stress on the jack.

Here is a fine example:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has mentioned that when rotating tires, using a standard rotation, at some point you need to lift diagonally opposite corners at the same time - this DEFINITELY eliminates the use of scissors jacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    wifeshatescars,

I have a 1995 Acura Integra so I understand your confusion. I purchased a craftsman 2.5 ton hydrolic jack a couple of weeks ago because I want to start doing all of my oil changes and tire rotations.

I rotated my tires last week without a problem. theres really no need to put the car up on jack stands. I also thought the same thing but realized it really wasnt necessary.

All you have to do is this:

1. Place the hydrolic jack underneath the front pinch weld. Always use the front pinch weld because of the extra weight of the engine.

2. You will see the front tire raising and a couple more pumps, the rear tire will follow. I was a little hesitant having the jack support the weight while I worked on it so I place a jackstand underneath the lift arm for extra support.

3. Besure you do this on a level surface. Do not do it on slope driveways.

The jack defininely supported the weight nicely and for reassurance, you can always purchase a three ton jack for extra support. If you car is like mine and lowered, youll need to lift the car a bit to slide the jack underneath the pivot point. Pm me if you have any questions.

~hope this helps~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information