Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gift card for Sears for $250. I`m thinking of getting a 1/2" torque-wrench, and maybe a 3/8" of the small-torque (in-lbs) kind. I`d still have a bit left, though. I really don`t know what to get. I sort of thought maybe buy a decent starter rotary, but they don`t seem to have much selection at Sears, plus I doubt I would use it much. I`d want one with variable speed, but it wouldn`t really have to be a super-duty motor.

Any ideas on what I should get? What would you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    A breaker bar for removing lugnuts from your wheels. This bar used with a deep socket prevents you from hitting the rims and body paint. The bar is so long it easily removes the lugs with added torque. The factory one seems too short and can easily scratch and dent the paint and the wheel. I don`t know if Sears carry a nonscratching socket lined with some kind of strong plastic inside it (polyurethane?). Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had $250 to spend at Sears I`d buy one of their High End Black Tool Chests. They have roller bearings and open/close very smooth/nice. I believe they have a great warranty too. You may need to throw in another $100 but it`s well worth it. If you already have a tool chest then the torque wrenches would be a great choice. A nice set of metric/english wrenches are always nice to have around. Have fun shopping.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a nice 3` 1/2" breaker bar, and a nice 4-drawer Craftsman tool chest that`s holding a 300+ piece mechanics tool kit.

Some day I`d like to get a nice worktable or standing tool chest, but those are way more than $250, and I don`t currently have room for one in the garage.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

you probably already have one, but a nice mini rug shampooer is great for keeping those floor mats, trunk carpet and kick-panels rugs clean and odor free. I use a full size one with a mini cleaner that works great ( Bissell also makes a Scotchgard shampoo reagent). :wavey

Happy shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t have one, buy a floor jack & stands and/or wet vac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...

I do have a wet/dry vac, and several jacks and stands. However, I do not have a shampooer. What exactly do you mean Edwin? Like one of those `little green cleaning machine` things? Do they really have enough power for that sort of stuff? I thought about getting one in the past, but then wondered how well it would work. Currently I spray mats down with APC+, scrub them with a brush, hose them down with the Ultimate Nozzle on blast, and then vacuum them off with the wet/dry vac. They are still pretty damp after this, so I`ll leave them out to dry.

Would a shampooer make that easier? I guess maybe it would be better for the carpeting as it can`t easily be removed.

I`ll definitely keep that in mind.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about a `shampooer`?

Look at the Black & Decker `Scumbuster` (+/-$39). Best value in my shop! It`s only a scrubber, but you`ll love it! Given what you already have, this will be a nice addition...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

I have never used a compact rug shampooer so I can not vouch for their performance. I have read some favorable reviews on this forum about these mini units. I use a full-size home rug shampooer which has a separate hose for cleaner tight areas ( next to walls) and interior fabrics like chairs and couches. Works great for auto interiors. Cleans and almost totally dries fabric. Since the removable floor mats are usually the dirtiest, they require more solution and I too allow to air dry outside of vehicle for a few hours. Like many tools in our garages, a shampooer is not a often used item (unless you have kids and/or pets) but like a PC so nice to have in the ultimate detailer`s arsenal.

Hope this helps you spend your money,

Edwin :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    how bout this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ghlavaty

how bout this.

Hey that`s pretty cool. And it has power. Unfortunately I don`t have room for something like that currently.

Edwin, one of those big full-sized ones would be cool. That`s something my wife and I would like to get at some point. They do seem like they would be more effective than the little portable ones. I`ll have to look into it, and also search back some here.

Jim, what do you use the scumbuster for? Scrubbing carpets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aurora40- Since you already have the wet/dry vac, you can just get a carpet shampooing/extracting attachment for it. Not the same as a pro/heated/ect. extractor, but they work pretty well.

But yeah, if you don`t already have torque wrenches and breaker bars, those would top MY list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aurora,

I`ve got to second the full size shampooer. I`d go fullsize so you can also use it around the house. The small ones are somewhat limited on power, and are only useful for furniture and auto interiors. With the full size, you can do it all, and with more power! If you don`t want to spend extra for a heated one or whatever, just use very hot water for your solution. Also, ones with spinning brushes work well. I currently have a Hoover SteamVac which works well (it`s an upright model with 5 rotating brushes). I also just got a Thermax machine (as an anniversary gift), which is really nice (but really $$$). I don`t know if you`ve got kids, but if you do, the full size shampooer will be used more than you`d think! And you could use it in the house, too!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you have room in the garage for an air compressor. They have some pretty good deals on 33 Gallon 6.5Hp Compressors which can meet most pneumatic tool cfm requirements. Just a thought if you haven`t used the Gift Card already.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had a giftcard burning a hole in my pocket and I didn`t really need anything essential (torque wrench, breaker bar has already been spoken for), I`d get some of the neat Craftsman gadgets like those Screw-Out bits and things like that.

Do you have an air compressor and impact wrench? If not, I`d see if a store has an electric one for sale. Get some impact sockets for it too. Sometimes they have a whole set with wrenches and a case. It`s not as good or powerful as an air impact, but you don`t need a compressor and it`s handy for those times when you can`t really lean on something (because it`s mounted on something delicate or rubbery) or have something stubborn that just needs to be jolted loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information