Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Ominous C5

...Check out www.motorbooks.com for some good books on the ultimate garages.

Eric

Thanks for this link. I`ve just ordered "Ultimate Garages" by Phil Berg, a 224-page book on the top 24 garages in the USA which is going to inspire me - I`m certain of that!

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1992 Miata MX5 ... Finish detailing them, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken,

I am aware of the absurdity of owning 7 cars. It`s a long story, but it seemed to begin innocently enough. As an another car-guy, you surely understand.

I`m married (at least until I buy another car) and have a 2 year old boy.

My collection of "must have" cars began 6 years ago. I guess I justify owning them as a healthy vice. The availability of the internet didn`t help matters. Right now, I`m itching to get a 2004 WRX STi as a new daily driver.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dean

Ken,

I am aware of the absurdity of owning 7 cars... As an another car-guy, you surely understand.

Dean

I do, I do completely. Most guys do... it seems to be the fairer sex who have problems with it.

My wife often complains that she`s embarrassed by our numbers. But then we don`t know any other couples with a small fleet, so it`s all relative I guess.

I was just interested in the logic of your acquisitions, but then - with cars especially - it`s not much fun to follow the logic.

I`m plumbing for an classic Aston Martin for my next baby. And an older Mercedes cabriolet along with some others. With careful selection these desirable cars never drop in value, and my intention is to build a retirement fund with them. When I need extra cash I`ll just sell one off and we`ll live on the proceeds for a couple of years.

We`ll get enjoyment while we use them, and extra cash when we sell - that`s having our cake and eating it too!

The WRX STi is a nice looker. But when will you get the chance to press the intercooler water spray button on your way to work!

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1992 Miata MX5 ... Finish detailing them, then start all over again...

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly understand the small fleet thing , as with any hobby when you like something you see it usally finds it`s way home with you. I`m at my current lowest with cars, 5 two of which are projects , but I`ve had up to 12 at one time. Here in lies the problem no room for them , but when I move I`ll have more room for the toys. BTW I picked up Ultimate Garages by Phil Berg yesterday good book but the garages are not all great.

Dean good choice with the WRX Sti , I too was looking into one for my daily driver , but am currently at a stand still , I went to test drive one at three different dealers and they refused to let me test drive it. Their reason was that it was a "dangerous car" and they would only allow a test drive after I had completed the purchase, which is absurd because then it`s mine no need to test drive it. So now I`m stuck I refuse to buy a car without first test driving it , no matter what kind of car it is. I test drove an EVO and it was really nice, but I know the STi is better. ah dealers suck

Post Thanks / Like
    detailbarn,

You may want to check out the book "Garage: Reinventing the Place We Park," by Kira Obolensky (2001). It`s not a how-to book, but shows a wide variety of unique garage ideas.

Good luck with your plans.

Dean

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dean , got that one the day it came out too! I actually like that one better then the ultimate garages , both are good book to own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean, with all due respect, are you a rapper or an athlete?

Seven cars and your still married?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,

I can neither sing, dance, act or excel in any sport. :wavey

I`m a physician (ophthalmologist), so I spent a substantial portion of my youth as a professional geek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dean

detailbarn,

You may want to check out the book "Garage: Reinventing the Place We Park," by Kira Obolensky (2001). It`s not a how-to book, but shows a wide variety of unique garage ideas.

Dean

From the reviews it seems to be a book on turning your garage into something else. Would this be correct?

Ken Silver

--------------

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d consider installling a washer and dryer in the garage. It keeps the little lady happy that you`re not trashing her setup in the main house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

I re-did my garage.

I have six T8`s, epoxied the floor by a professional, workbench, air compressor, tool storage. But it`s only a two car garage but I would say it`s the cleanest and most organized in my city. As soon as I buy a digital camera, I will take pics for you. But if I were you and what I will do with my next home is buy a house with a three car garage or build a home with a four car garage. Six T8`s per two car area, A belt drive opener for quietness, build wall indentions for your air compressor, tool box, TV, etc. AC/heat duct into the garages but I would not do a drain in the floor. Very important- wait at least six months or even one year before you epoxy your garage floor and make sure that job is done by an EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL FLOOR PAINTER. Your concrete floor will move and crack during the first year. Lots of good sturdy shelving and you want high ceilings too. I even have a skeet`r beat`r. With the push of a button and a remote, it`s a roll up white screen that keeps out bugs, leaves and makes your garage appear stealthy, like your garage door is closed and keeps the garage fresh in the summer. Here in Florida with the summer humidity and bugs, this works good for me. Here`s the link.............

http://www.screenamerica.com/

Then click garage, however, I`m having some contact problems with my installer. He promised to come back and give me a tune up but he has not returned my calls. I`ve phoned him twice now and it`s been a week.

Now I have a question.......

Is a TV a good idea for a garage in a high humidity state like Florida? I want to put directv in my garage but I`m concerned about the wetness in the air and what it could do to the inside circuitry of the TV and receiver. My garage in July is like a sauna. PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I regularly travel to see some very spectacular garages. Unforunately, because they`re owned by my clients, there are big confidentiality issues which mean I can`t post photos BUT the neatest one I`ve seen recently was as follows.

Collector who owns 40 plus cars (from Alfa Spider to an Enzo - I kid you not!) owns a large estate and refurbished the 400 year old farmhouse. Outbuildings converted into car storage - nothing fancy really.

He just completed work on a steel framed building which externally looks like an old English barn (complete with wobbly ridge tiles!). This is his Ferrari garage which will house the Enzo & 8 other Ferraris. There are two 4 post ramps, full compressed air and 3 phase electrics. He also has an office suite so he can run his various businesses surrounded by his cars.

Cost - around £250,000.

Best garage I`ve ever seen and I visit about 200 commercial workshops and private garages annually. Gives me plenty of ideas for the dream garage but all I have is a single car garage full of house move junk (summer 04 project once my 03 bonus has allowed me to buy a toy!)

If you`re building from scratch I`d go for the following.

Steel frame allowing minimum 12` ceiling height and space for 1st floor storage/games room

External stonework to compliment surroundings

Agree drainage a must as is air and proper electrics

I`d order custom build cabinets friom the same guys who build the F1 trucks but I`d actually have a separate storage/work area away from the car storage area - apart from anything else you need to consider the flammable nature of what you keep around your cars. In a prefect world, Id have the cars in their own storage bay with all cleaning equipment in a separate & lockable fireproof room, leaving cars in an almost showroom type garage.

Working area away from storage area - this is where you`d have your ramps etc.

First floor for the cinema TV screen, PS2, pool table, bar....hey, we said money no object, right!

I gues after all that you`d also need a big hungry dog by the door (which means you`d need a separate lobby area to keep dog away from freshly prepared cars....)

This could go on all night so I`ll leave it there for now!
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Renault Laguna dCi120 Expression

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez, this has really got me hooked! Some of this stuff is UK orientated so apologies if some of it makes no sense!

Heating - most commercial premises tend to use fixed & ducted heating, fired either by gas, electricity or waste oil (which is tightly controlled for pollution reasons)

Private car collectors and car storage companies either incorporate A/C or use a dehumidifier to keep temparatuure constant to avoid build up of moisture from garage being either too cold or too warm

Fire extinguishers? Smoke/fire detectors linked to alarm (presumably linked to central station/police/fire)

Key security? We`re having a major problem with keys being stolen from houses - i.e. the burglars aren`t after the antiques or artwork, just the SL55 or 996 Turbo!

IMO ceramic floor tiles work best in car store with an epoxy paint for your work area.

What about safety? anti slip surfaces & no smoking signs around your cars (or is that the workshop risk assessor talking, not the novice Autopian!?)

Check out places like Symbolic`s showroom or the workshops of The Aston Workshop in the UK - we even have a client with a WWII Spitfire sat in their showroom!

There`s another guy who`s a Star Wars fanatic and has life sized stormtroopers/Darth Vader etc mixing it with Astons and Ferraris.

Sorry if I`ve bored anyone with this but, hey, I get paid to go and talk to people about incredible cars all day - might help explain the obsession!
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Renault Laguna dCi120 Expression

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff Andy. Thanks

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    dunno if i am intruding here, but i got really interested in those books and had a look around the net....amazon have both books for less than $22 dollars each, which is half the price of the other site....don`t intend to be mean or ruin anyones business, just lettin u know of a better deal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information