Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Retractable/Lockable extension cords built into the walls and ceilings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the what`s in the crib. As you can tell, I like silver..

Sorry for the big pic

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to be OT but Dean...I love your cars ...especially the Supra TT...

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailbarn,

I just got done building my house this past year and thought I was getting what I wanted but have since realized some changes I would make in the future.

1. Floor drain. I got one like I wanted. However, when I do it again I will get two (one on each bay). One in the middle is better than no drain but sort of a pain.

2. Floor slop/angle. With the scissor lift this may not be such a problem but I have realized that the slop of the floor towards the one center drain causes some problems with putting a car on jack stands. The car must be precise position, otherwise when I get the car onto four jack stands one corner does not rest on one stand completely (this one stand must be a notch higher than the rest). Two floor drains would probably solve the problem also.

3. Outlets and circuits. You can not have enough. I thought I did and now wish I had more. Also get a couple higher voltage/amp lines in case you want something that requires greater power.

4. Ceiling height. I specified 10 foot ceilings because I planned on adding a 4 post lift later. I got 10 foot ceilings however, I also got and didn’t realize it until it was too late to change a big beam that runs down the middle (across both sides) that sticks down about a foot or so. Effectively giving me less than 10 foot ceilings and probably ruining my plans for a 4 post lift to store a car.

5. High mounted garage door ramps (don’t hang down as far). This allows you to maximize the ceiling height.

6. Water. I have water in the garage but I wished I had thought more about cabinet placement when I designed where it went.

7. I put in a utility tub in my utility room off the garage but I wish I would have bumped a wall out a little and placed the tub in the garage.

8. Wall/ceiling flush mounted speakers would have been nice also that are pre wired to in the wall mounted stereo/entertainment system.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re a smart man, keeping the Nissans at home.

I keep mine at home too, except it`s blue.
    "...it is important never to forget where u all came from - becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place - de punani." -ali g

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting close to start designing my "dream car garage" as well. I own 6 Corvettes, of which 2 are at my house and 4 are in storage. I don`t care if my Tahoe sits outside. Check out www.motorbooks.com for some good books on the ultimate garages.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Multiple floor drains as mentioned above. The pitch and finish of floor is critical as well.

I tend to like the long thin cast iron/brass trough like drain covers that run the length of a wall or door. I have seen them placed just outside the garage door as the entire floor is pitched/graded to the front of the garage. It is a mild pitch but enough so water will evacutate correctly with no puddles.

In our commercial service garage we have drains indoors along the side exterior walls with the floors pitched so snow/rain/water drains to the shortest route.

Consider the exterior grading as well as any water that escapes the garage doors and past the drains in front of the garage door will become ice and a bit dangerous .

Interior wall finish if you plan to wash indoors as well. We have a cinder block walls which are insulated and sheathed externally. I believe the walls have some type of epoxy paint over the block which seals them up pretty well.

The block is a great sound barrier as well.

Focusing on water and a wood framed garage would highlight a few items as well. A few course block above the concrete floor would be enough to protect the framing from moisture and if the external front of the garage if the drain point this lets you squeege ? right next to the wall to the front door. I have seen drywalled garages with the dry-rot at the floor/wall intersection.

I would heat the space with a combo of underfloor radiant heat and forced air commercial units placed overhead throughout the shop. The forced air units warm the air quickly then as the thermal mass of the floor takes over the overheads shut off. Say you walk into the garage on a cold morning for a days work you would turn up the floor heat but it will take some time for the garage to be heated so the space heaters will kick in unless cost is no concern and the radiant floor is left on a working setting 24/7 .

The space heaters also help recover when the garage door is opened to move cars in and out.

I have to say that it is a pleasure to experience the radiant floor systems as a worker, it has no equal in my book.

For Summer cooling consider one or two eave or attic type house fans. We have a large single speed one now and it just moves two much air and is noisey as hell. I would look for smaller variable speed units to cover the cooling needs unless A/C is added.

Easy thread to respond to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dean

7 cars, but my current home has only 1900 sq feet and a 2 car garage. Yes, my priorities are screwy.

Currently, I have 3 cars garaged in a local "self-storage" facility near my home. It`s not the same as having them close to the heart!

Dean

So can you post a pic of all 7 cars together :bounce???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question for Dean, regarding the proposed garage layout. The house looks nice from the outside, and doesn`t look like a "garage with house attached." But I`m wondering if you wouldn`t be more happy with a large combined room. If you put the square footage together, you might have enough space for the holy grail--the ability to actually drive your cars around inside, with a single entry door. I`ve heard from some people that this is optimum, rather than going with 4 bay design as you show here.

Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bet993

5. High mounted garage door ramps (don’t hang down as far). This allows you to maximize the ceiling height.

What are high mounted garage door ramps? Are you talk about the rails or tracks the door wheels ride in? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lost Pup

Interior wall finish if you plan to wash indoors as well. We have a cinder block walls which are insulated and sheathed externally. I believe the walls have some type of epoxy paint over the block which seals them up pretty well.

The block is a great sound barrier as well.

At a car dealer I saw a heavy curtain, plastic or canvas at least, that surrounded the wash bay. You just pulled it around the car when you wanted to wash. It was strung on steel wire running though grommets at the top. If I had water in an my existing garage, this is what I would use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like everyone has said almost everything, Just make sure that you like what you are doing, a few thousand dollars is nothing in the long run. take the steps and the little cash now to make that garage wht you want for years to come, You do not want to look back in 2-3 years and say " Man I wish I would have...... Bla bla bla....

Just my .02$ and I have done it

DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Boxstercharlie,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I thought about a single, large garage space to fit >4 cars, but I couldn`t concieve a design that didn`t look like a warehouse with living quarters attached to it. The 0.9 acre residential lot that we just purchased is in a golf course community. There is an "architectural committee" that must approve the house plan. I really need to have a "stealthy" design that blends the garage space into the neighborhood.

The "jumbo" 4 car section of my plan will be home for my garage queens (M Coupe, Supra, 911 and 350Z). I plan on having the "jumbo" garage have a professional floor epoxy paint, custom cabinets, etc. The 2 car section will fit my daily drivers (wife`s 330i and my WRX). The 2 car garage will have a more ordinary residential garage look.

That leaves me with an Acura Type R to remain in rented storage unit.

I hope that the 4 post lift will boost the total garage capacity to 7. As it is, I`m constantly terrified of hurricaine and hail damage here in North Carolina. A garage will go a long way to achieving the collector`s nirvana.

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PAW

What are high mounted garage door ramps? Are you talk about the rails or tracks the door wheels ride in? :nixweiss

Yes, the tracks or rails. The standard way to do install a normal sized garage door is to have the tracks/rails hang a 2-3 feet off the ceiling just above the height of the top of the door. This is fine for normal use, however if anytype of lift is going to be installed in the future this intrusion into the space above the bay can be a problem. The door rails/tracks can be installed so that the door goes straigh up the inside and then tracks along the ceiling with the tracks/rails basicaly installed on the ceiling instead of being suspended from the ceiling. This really nets a lot more space.

You just have to plan carfully with the lighting that will be above this area. Flush mounted lighting works best in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dean,

I applaud another collector, but I`m having trouble with your numbers... 7 is a lot of wheels for one guy!

Did the numbers just grow, do you have a large family, or did you have an aquisition plan in mind? I`m curious because we`re in the same position - in a roundabout way.

Here`s how ours grew, and how I try to justify our own collection of 4 cars between just my wife and I:

- The Mercedes SL500 is the ultimate dream car. Garage queen. Nuff said.

- Because the SL is only a 2-seater and we often need to take other folks out and about, I bought the Daimler (Jaguar/Vanden Plas) as a four seater luxury runabout.

- However, since both these cars are in immaculate condition, they`re too good to carry supplies or even take out in the rain, so...

- The Honda US station wagon was bought to use for hauling stuff, getting out in inclement weather and such.

- But my wife didn`t really like the Honda - it was black with a roof rack and it reminded her of a hearse - so she continued using her 2-seat Mazda/Miata MX5, but mainly because she likes the roof down in the summer.

Each car therefore has its own use and justification, and we`re sticking by it!

The top cars get to stay in our 2-car garage. A 4 car garage would be so much better. A 6-car space would let us open all the car doors fully instead of squeezing past the wall or other car. A 9-car...

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1992 Miata MX5 ... Finish detailing them, then start all over again...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information