Thread: Garage Lighting

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read through a bunch of threads that came up with the search so I have a decent feel for what I need. I just moved into a new house so I have a "virgin" garage if you will. It`s only about 20 X 20. The plan now is to have to have three rows of fluorescent lights. Two near the walls and one down the middle running parallel to the vehicles. Each row will be 2 double 4` fixtures, one of which will be a good balast for cold weather, the other will just be a cheapy. Between the three rows I want some halogens for color like many have suggested. I need help picking out the three different types. I want all of the fluorescents to be quiet, that hum just digs into my skull. The cheapies just need to be quiet, the other ones need to come on quick. What kind of halogens are you using? just the screw in bulbs? I`d like to be able to just go to Home Depot and pick everything up. I don`t want or need to get the best of the best. Thanks in advance for your help
    2001.5 VW Passat 1.8T Reflex Silver (his)

2001 Lexus RX300 White/Silver(hers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey stranger for a few extra bucks you should outfit yourself with ALL "cold duty" flourscent lights for the garage. They aren`t that much more $. I finally replaced 8 more fixtures in my garage this winter with that type. They come on instantly, have no hum and put out great light. Home Depot carries them now but may choose not to when the weather gets nice so hurry! I burned up 4 "cheapies" in one year. They are such junk. You get what you pay for now days!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    do you by chance know a brand and model? What about the halogens? did your boss approve the S4 conversion?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m afraid I don`t. They only carry one brand/type. But I do know they are made in USA and have decent mfg. customer service. I was moving a light last year and dropped one and broke a shade. I called customer service to see if I could "buy" another shade and they sent be a whole new light and a free UPS call tag for the old one. cool!

As for the minor S4 upgrades, I was lucky to get out of the room alive!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know about how much they were? And congrats for having the ba!!s to ask!

Post Thanks / Like
    They are about $16-19. Not a bad deal. Bulbs are a bit more than regular bulbs, but so far I have never had to replace one!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    StLB5- As David suggested, spring for ALL good flourescents, it IS worth the added expense. Replacing/repairing them is a pain. BTW, I went with 8` fixtures and I also put some on the walls, which I HIGHLY recommend.

I didn`t get halogens for my "other" ceiling-mounts, just incandescents. I DID get the bigger "mogul" base ones in "industrial" type metal-shaded fixtures with wire damage guards. I DO use halogen worklights, but I`m satisfied with the incandescents for the ceiling. I got them not for the true color, but because I always see (minute) swirls better under them than I EVER do under flourescents.

Besides the availability and cost issues, you might want to consider the matter of HEAT where halogens are concerned. If you like something non-flourescent for swirl work (and I think you might) it could matter later in the year or if water gets sprayed around. Halogens get HOT. Just my $0.02, of course.

Be sure to set up your switches so that you can have the right combination choices. My builder`s electrician botched that up (and as it couldn`t be changed at a sensible price, the electrician got tossed off the job and I got the wiring for free- small consolation, though), bugs me all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest getting 8` lights instead and paint the walls white if they are not already. I painted my walls white and have 4- 4` double light fixtures in my 16`x20` garage and wish I has went with 8 footers. The 8` light fixtures usually allow for 75 watt bulbs too which means more light yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brad B.

Hey stranger for a few extra bucks you should outfit yourself with ALL "cold duty" flourscent lights for the garage.

Are those "cold duty" lights you are talking about the bulb or the fixture? I`m not sure but I thought the hum came from the transformer in the fixture. Anyway I am thinking about getting flourescent lights anyway, I`ll check out home depot.
    99 Jetta

02 WRX

Growl Boxer Growl

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Iconoclast

Are those "cold duty" lights you are talking about the bulb or the fixture? I`m not sure but I thought the hum came from the transformer in the fixture. Anyway I am thinking about getting flourescent lights anyway, I`ll check out home depot.

I think the cold duty lights are the fixture. My buddy has them in his garage and they work great in the winter where as mine had to warm up first.

This brings me to another tip: Insulate your garage walls!!! I insulated mine and added plywood walls and is sooooo much nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    stick with the flourescents (vs halogen), it shows much more. It`s has to do with where flourescents peaks in the visible color spectrum (in the blue and green wavelengths, closer to the UV wavelength).
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I have what is probably a standard sized two car garage...maybe 2 1/2 with a dinky lightbulb in the middle of the ceiling. What kind of lighting setup would be adequate? I really haven`t a clue.

Thread Information