Post Thanks / Like
    When I installed my Corsa exhaust, the pipes were just a tad too short, so I had to overlap them a bit less than I would have liked. Corsa sent me another piece to extend it, and they made it about 5" long overall so that it would be enough. I stupidly asked for it that way so that I could trim it to the perfect size. Yet, I pretty much knew how long it needed to be. I had no idea how hard stainless would be to cut. My stock exhaust is steel (I thought it was stainless, but maybe not) and was fairly easy to cut. It is impossible to cut with a chain cutter. I ruined one cutter trying, and am currently trying to cut it with a second one. No joke, I spent about 4-5 hours yesterday just spinning the cutter around the pipe. I finally got the cutter through about 1/3 of the pipe, but I spent about 45 minutes trying to finish the job and it is still intact. What the hell is the deal?? My hands are blistered to hell, I have zero grip strength left, and no exhaust shops are open on Sunday around here. I went to one yesterday on my way to buy a new cutter, and they said they can`t cut stainless. I obviously need my car by tomorrow, so here is my question: Do you think crying will get the pipe cut?

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew stainless was rock-hard, but that is crazy!

I`d take it to a machine shop. They can cut those pipes to the right length in a few seconds.

And it will save you from goin` to the emergency room!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade or a cutoff wheel. Rent one at your local big box if you can`t borrow one.

EDIT: On second thought, use the bandsaw. The cutoff wheel might not appreciate you cutting a small piece of steel like that.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    I would prolly use a grinder and a cutting blade, that way you can dress the edges when yer done.

BE CAREFUL cut stainless is like a damn razor blade!

Even the pro sheet metal guys wear thick leather gloves when theyre using stainless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I finally got it cut through. I bought a hacksaw blade for hardened metals, but it sucked. So I just sucked it up with the sencond chain cutter. It eventually made it. I probably spent easily 6 hours and more like 8 hours twirling that chain around the pipe. Plus, the whole pipe piece is like 5-6" long, so it was quite a pain to hold. My whole upper body is aching, my hands are really hurting and very blistered, and now I have to put the exhaust back together. I went to Sears and bought a nice 3/8" torque wrench because they are on sale this week, it is like 20" long, and I just don`t think my current 10" cheapy is gonna cut it. I`m too beat to crank out 40 lb-ft under the car with it...

Thanks for the tips, though. If I ever have to cut stainless again, I will just take it right to a shop. All the aching is worth it as long as the job gets done right and I don`t have to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a chore! I wonder if this has something to do with the different grades of stainless steel (like T304 etc)?

Sorry I didn`t get here sooner. I was going to suggest some quality time with a dremel or something.... although that might be just a laughably dumb idea. :p

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you use an angle grinder (or get one if you donĂ‚´t have one). It will save you a lot of time and pain in the future...LOL. A 5" disc, small machine is very effective when custom making stainless exhausts (IĂ‚´ve done a few).

There are different discs for Stainless, Steel, Aluminum... just make sure the spray from it does not touch anything flameable (my overall has been on fire more than once...)

or windows, as those glowing spots melt in to the surface of the glass (and ruin the glass). Not to talk about paintwork...

Have a great day and,

Good luck with your stainlessssss exhaust !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always wanted to hear a V8 Aurora with an aftermarket exhaust I bet they sound awesome. In fact they sound pretty nice stock. :up
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 69-912

I have always wanted to hear a V8 Aurora with an aftermarket exhaust I bet they sound awesome. In fact they sound pretty nice stock. :up

The extension really helped. The pipes overlap better, and no water leaks out the joints. It sounds quieter, and my wife and I agree it is as quiet as stock when driving lightly. From a straight-through exhaust, this is amazing.

And, you are in luck. You can hear it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent videos!! The exahust gives the car a very powerful yet exotic sound. Reminds me for somer eason of a 289 with Weber carbs. :nixweiss

Very nice mod. Notice any improvement in "seat of the pants power?"
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 69-912

Very nice mod. Notice any improvement in "seat of the pants power?"

Yes. The car feels much stronger all over now. But especially when it hits about 3 grand (where it usually really kicks in) it is quite a bit stronger. I think it is the most noticeable improvement from a mod I`ve ever felt. I did used to bolt a lot of things on to my `87 Corvette, and while sometimes I could feel it and sometimes not, I`ve never felt an increase this strong. I suspect the stock system is incredibly restrictive (if you`ve ever seen OEM`s they usually have like three different chambers and tubes connecting them so the exhaust has to flow forwards and backwards and sideways just to get out). I can literally see right through the Corsas. I can`t imagine they are much more restrictive than if I just had 2 1/2" pipes following the same general path. But they are much much quieter. They really are amazing. I just can`t say enough about them. They make other exhaust systems seem almost criminal, especially the ones that cost as much, are louder, and are still more restrictive.

I think they should be standard equipment on all Auroras. They are really that great without being intrusive at all. Incidentally, GM has Corsa tips on many of their show cars (probably not Corsa exhaust systems as those cars won`t be driven, but maybe they do). All the Pontiac GXPs have them. Corsa also made the systems for the Corvette Indy Pace Car (I think 1998?), the 2000 Aurora Indy Pace Car, and the STS that paced Le Mans a few times.

Thread Information