Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw something in an for a local home center made by wayne dalton called an I drive which is a direct drive it mounts above the door and has no rail etc it was like $240 with remotes. you can see it at www.menards.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Ray

I want to replce my existing garage door opener. Mine is loud and very slow.

Since you`re going to have to do this anyway before you install the new opener (at least they say you have to) I suggest you try this BEFORE buying the opener. You may have already done this, but you didn`t mention it, so here goes:

Disconnect the opener and open and close the door several times by hand. Is it smooth, quiet and properly balanced (just about stays in position at midpoint?). If you haven`t done annual maintenance on the door for a while, a bit of adjustment and tightening on the hinges may be necessary, maybe a roller or two is wobbly and needs to be replaced, springs could need to be tensioned a bit, and a good lube never hurts.

In my experience, if it`s been neglected for a few years, it displays the symptioms you`re talking about - the motor strains (groans), it slows down and . . . . as I said . . . . you`re supposed to do this anyway before you install a new opener.

For what it`s worth, I appreciate the elegance of a screw drive. The best opener I ever owned was purchased over 25 years ago and had a SOLID 1" screw. These days the screws are generally narrower and (at least the consumer versions) come with segmented screws to make them easier to take home. I would personally always go with a screw anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I could do it again I would scrap my chain drives!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Genie Excelerator and it`s KING!!!!!!!! Opens amazingly fast, it`s quiet and the remotes have great range. Also came with a wireless keypad. All for $186 on Ebay brand new. I`d buy it again in a snap. WAY WAY better than Craftsmen poop.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t be too rough on the Craftsman openers - they`re mady be Chamberlain.

Two years ago, I installed a Genie screw-drive opener with a friend at his house. The installation process was quite drawn out. A year later, I wanted a screw-drive opener, but opted for the Chamberlain model. The installation took about 1/2 the time that it took to get the Genie installed because Chamberlain has put forth a lot of effort in easing the installation proces - compared to Genie.

Again, don`t be so quick to diss Craftsman. Sure, if you replaced an old, chain-driven opener that has out-lived its useful life, I`ll agree with you. However, the Craftsman screw-drive opener will still be a very nice opener for those who are looking at screw-drive openers.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing i`ll say on this subject is that i`ve had the same genie opener on my gargage door for 24 years. I`ve been through 3 send/receive units, but still have the same opener. Genie is the best.:bounce
    Dave Marcus

03 Volvo S80
    Black w/Graphite Ltr

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I decided to saty with my current screw drive Genie. The Excelerator I would have purchased but can`t justify the $300.00 price tag at Lowes............

My range is not good at all. Sometimes I am directly in front of the door and it will not open. A buddy of mine tells me there something in the car that is interfering with the signal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information