Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I went tonight and bought a nice set of Kobalt Standard deep well sockets and a nice pair of channel lock (not on clearance) wire cutters.
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    I went and got some 1/2" metric 6 point sockets. They were cheap too! I have loads of the Snap-On made stuff, so I don`t think I will be buying much more.

I want to see what this "new" line is, and see how much cheaper they have made it. :nono
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a 5 drawer roller cabinet from Lowe`s. Model number was TRX500-KB, which matches an exact Waterloo model. Here`s a link to it:

www.waterlooindustries.com/productdetail.asp?UnitNumberID=TRX500

It`s the bottom piece in the picture. I`m assuming the KB at the end stands for Kobalt.

It was on clearance for $224, which I thought was really cheap. I checked places online to see how much they carried Traxx models for, and this was definitely much cheaper than anything I found. The closest Lowe`s to me didn`t have any in stock. The next closest had one on the floor, and luckily, a really helpful guy in the tool section tracked down one new in the box for me.

It has ball bearing drawers, nice big and smooth casters, and it comes with extra clips to allow for more force to open the drawers. I`d have to say, it looks sharp in blue.

Just thought you guys would want to know...

Post Thanks / Like
    I went Friday and picked up a spark plug socket and a nice extension. Their supply is starting to get low. However they ahvn`t marked their prices down anymore at my local store.
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    No deeper discounts here either. Plus, they still have not started stocking the new product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Lowes this weekend and most of the hand tools are gone. A few sets left, but really not discounted much.

I also saw what I assume is the new line of tool cabinets. They had a few pieces in and they were painted black.

Look similar to the old models in blue, with almost the same "Kobalt" and "Ball Bearing Equipped" badges, but definitely not as well made. Same price point too.

The panels felt like thinner gauge metal, and the back panel was different from an identical older model next to it. Caster hubs were painted black too, and didn`t look as heavy. The drawers also did not have the "bump stop" or friction point that keeps the drawers closed when moving the cart around.

Pretty disappointing. I am glad I got my tool tower when I did, with a matching 2 drawer to set on top. If not, I would be looking at the Craftsman pro line.

Even if the stuff was Waterloo made before, it was better that what they are bringing in now. Definitely a step down.

It looks like they are not reducing the older blue painted line just changing over. If you are still looking around you might be able to find the older models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kebmike

Thanks for the info. Sounds disappointing indeed. If they went the el cheapo route with the boxes I`m not sure I even want to see the tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my take on the leftover Kobalt tools, for what it`s worth.

The Lowe`s I picked up my tool chest from still had a decent selection left, so I was checking out the combination wrenches. I picked up one of the 17mm wrenches packaged individually, and I was pretty shocked as to what I saw.

It`s a fully polished wrench, but I was suprised to find a little bubbling on the back of the wrench where the chrome looked like it could chip off. Generally, the polish seemed of low quality. I`m comparing this to the polish on my S-K flare nut wrenches. The polish on those is much smoother, and seems a whole lot tougher too.

If the quality of the tools is going to get lower when they restock, how good are they going to be? I was hoping that I could satisfy my need for combination wrenches with some of these, but I guess I`ll keep looking.

Now, this is just what I saw, so can anyone comment on the current quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hank,

I a quite a few of the "older" Kobalt tools. I have combo wrenches, socket sets and braker bars. The quality of them all is outstanding. There is zero chrome bubbling or anything of that nature. The polishing is all very good on my stuff. The older stuff was made by a division of Snap-On tools, the new stuff is made by the same people that make Craftsman. :down

As far as comparing them to other tools, no the Kobalts are not as nice as my Snap-on`s or Mac tools. But, they also don`t cost anywhere near what Snap-On`s or Mac`s cost either. IMO the older tools were the best quality DIY`er tools you were going to find without spending mega $$$. The quality for the price was unmatched, they blew Craftsman and Husky away. The new stuff on the other hand will probably be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    ShowroomLincoln,

Thanks for the info! I`ve been reading about and buying tools slowly for a few months now, and I had heard good things about Kobalt, so I was surprised to see that chrome problem.

I guess what I read pertained to some older Kobalt stuff. I`ve narrowed down my choices to S-K, Facom, and Stahlwille. I looked at Hazet too, but I haven`t been able to find too many vendors other than Tool Source, and they were fairly expensive.

If anyone has experience with any of those brands, I`d appreciate the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    SK makes nice tools, so does Facom. The Facom tools are pretty expensive though. What are you planning on using them for? Are you a professional, or just looking for some good DIY tools?

Post Thanks / Like
    ShowroomLincoln,

These tools are going to be mostly for DIY stuff. I can`t say money is no object, but I`m willing to spend more for something I only have to buy once. To contradict that statement a little bit, I don`t want to pay too much for marginally better quality either.

Another thing is, I want to pay for the quality of the tool, not for the lifetime warranty it comes with.

S-K seems to be just around the price of Craftsman Professional wrenches (the fully polished ones). Even though I`ll wrench only occasionally, I want to make sure I buy something well designed. Something that fits fasteners just right, and doesn`t flex under heavy loads. Just a generally well designed tool.

I already have a small Craftsman set, but I noticed quite a few variations in the 3, 3/8" sockets in the set. They all fit a 3/8" fastner just a little differently, and for some reason, that bothered me. Just a tolerance thing I guess.

I guess a lot of this reasoning stems from making a living as an engineer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see lowes has the "NEW" Kobalt chests out. Appear to be the same except the color is now black

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information