Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest development according to my friend at Snapon is that they, meaning Snapon, won`t be manufacturing "much" of the Kobalt stuff going forward. Supposedly a company named Armstrong is picking up the manufacturing, and the decision was made based on cost reasons. So I guess I`ll stay back and watch to see what Kobalt becomes before I do any purchasing.

I could always ante up the big bucks for Snapon, maybe I could convince my wife that if I live to be 80 it won`t really cost that much per year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Armstrong is a maker of industrial hand tools. They are owned by the Danaher tool group, the same people that make Craftsman tools. Looks like Kobalt is going to join the masses of unimpressive tools. :down :sosad

Guess I better buy the Snap-On made stuff before the new "redesigned" (cheaper, run of the mill junk) comes out in mid Jan. :down
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    So now I have to decide for either a Craftsman chest (cheapest currently), Kobalt (unkown quality going forward), Bluepoint made by Snapon which is roughly 2X the cost, or bottom level Snapon that carries ball bearing slides for about 2.5X cost.

Someone tell me how to convince a wife that having Snapon is useful for me

Maybe I`ll become wealthy before I make a decision and it won`t matter anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell your wife what you really want is a Limited Edition Ferrari Tool Set, but you`ll settle for Snap-on instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found out why my local Lowes didn`t have the Kobalt Chest I had been lusting after.My Father picked it up for me for Christmas!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys. Just wanted to comment on the Kobalt tool cabinets from Lowes.

I checked out this thread and decided to go with the 43" tool tower cabinet that Showroom Lincoln has. I like it a lot, but I am not sure the cabinets are made by Snap-on or the JH Williams parent company.

I noticed that Lowes also carries cabinets by Waterloo Industries. I was poking around on the Internet for tool cabinets and decided to check out their site too. Oddly enough they had some very similar cabinets with the same prefixes like PCH or TRX prior to the model numbers.

I also picked up a 20" 2 drawer portable chest to set on top of the tower. When I was looking at the Kobalt flyer inside the small toolbox I found the Kobalt flyer on hand tools and cabinets.

Interestingly, the 800 service/parts number in the Kobalt flyer is the same as the 800 service/parts number on the Waterloo Industries Website. I suspect they are the real manufacturers of the Kobalt cabinets.

I`m not saying this is a bad thing. I really like the tool chest and box, and Waterloo is a major cabinet and manufacturer for industry and healthcare. It just appears that it may not be what we all assumed.

The flyer talks about hand tools and JH Williams as a division of Snap-on, and the hand tools have labels indicating that they are made by JH Williams, but I did not find any labels or stickers on the toolbox to indicate that.

I still haven`t unpacked the tool tower to see what information sheets are included in it, but I suspect it will be the same as the toolbox.

Just some food for thought. If anyone has any more information confirming the maker of the Kobalt cabinets as JH Williams or Snap-on, I would like to hear it.

I still like the tool tower and toolbox, and think they are a great value for the money. Got both for just under $270. Can`t wait to get my tools sorted out and loaded up.

Autopia is really a great site and a wealth of information. I am still a novice detailer, but I have learned so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Kebmike

Hi guys. Just wanted to comment on the Kobalt tool cabinets from Lowes.

I checked out this thread and decided to go with the 43" tool tower cabinet that Showroom Lincoln has. I like it a lot, but I am not sure the cabinets are made by Snap-on or the JH Williams parent company.

I noticed that Lowes also carries cabinets by Waterloo Industries. I was poking around on the Internet for tool cabinets and decided to check out their site too. Oddly enough they had some very similar cabinets with the same prefixes like PCH or TRX prior to the model numbers.

I also picked up a 20" 2 drawer portable chest to set on top of the tower. When I was looking at the Kobalt flyer inside the small toolbox I found the Kobalt flyer on hand tools and cabinets.

Interestingly, the 800 service/parts number in the Kobalt flyer is the same as the 800 service/parts number on the Waterloo Industries Website. I suspect they are the real manufacturers of the Kobalt cabinets.

I`m not saying this is a bad thing. I really like the tool chest and box, and Waterloo is a major cabinet and manufacturer for industry and healthcare. It just appears that it may not be what we all assumed.

The flyer talks about hand tools and JH Williams as a division of Snap-on, and the hand tools have labels indicating that they are made by JH Williams, but I did not find any labels or stickers on the toolbox to indicate that.

I still haven`t unpacked the tool tower to see what information sheets are included in it, but I suspect it will be the same as the toolbox.

Just some food for thought. If anyone has any more information confirming the maker of the Kobalt cabinets as JH Williams or Snap-on, I would like to hear it.

I still like the tool tower and toolbox, and think they are a great value for the money. Got both for just under $270. Can`t wait to get my tools sorted out and loaded up.

Autopia is really a great site and a wealth of information. I am still a novice detailer, but I have learned so much!

Good info! I only got the crapsmen ones because they were red
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I know people who are division managers for Snap-On, they tell me the boxes are made by Snap-On/Williams. The royal blue the Kobalt boxes are painted is even a Snap-On factory color. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect to showroom Lincoln, I am not convinced Lowes cabinets are still Snap-on, at least with what Lowe`s has in stock now.

I unpacked my 43" tool tower today, and the parts/service sheet inside had the same 1-800 number listed as I found for Waterloo Industries.

Their Website at Waterlooindustries.com also has some products listed almost identical to LoweĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s products with similar model numbers. LoweĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 43" tool tower HB1065 looks very similar to Waterloo`s HR1060 except for a bottom door panel instead of a drawer. The description for the molded plastic top is almost identical.

Another model 5 drawer rolling cabinet at LoweĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s TRX500-KB is again almost identical to Waterloo`s Trax series 5 drawer cabinet TRX305KD.

The box for my tool tower did have a big orange sticker on it that said "Upgraded Model", but the 2 other in stock looked like they did too. It is hard to tell in the picture Lincoln Showroom posted if the front corners are beveled instead of square, but mine are beveled.

Not trying to start a controversy, just trying to figure out where the cabinets are coming from these days. Maybe they have already switched over and it is going to be Waterloo instead of Danaher.

Anyway, I love the cabinet no matter who made it. Still US made, well made, heavy duty, and looks sharp. The Kobalt 20" 2 drawer portable chest that I got sets on top of the molded top perfectly in between the grooves on the rails on the outside of the work surface top, and is small enough to take down to use the whole top for a work surface.

Nest stop at Lowe`s is for a PC as soon as I lurk and search the archives a little more to make sure I learn how to get the most out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may very well have gotten the "redesigned" version. Lowes and Snap-On are not getting along very well these days.

BTW, when I bought mine it didn`t say Upgraded Product. :nixweiss

Being honest, I don`t think anyone really knows what is going on with Kobalt right now. There are so many rumors going around it`s tough to say. But one thing is for sure, Snap-On will not be making Kobalt stuff anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I just went to my local Lowes and all of their Kobalt stuff is on clearance. They have 9-piece socket sets for $10.99 !

Check your local stores guys and gals.
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    69-912,

Thanks for the heads up!!!! Looks like I need to get to Lowes. I guess this officially spells the end of the Lowes/Snap-On relationship.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I looked at Lowes they had next to no Kobalt in stock, no ratchets at all, limited socket sets. But you are right, it looks like its the end of that relationship.

I`ve started watching EBay to see if actual snapon tools can be had for a decent price. They still seem a bit pricey, but a good bit lower than retail.

Post Thanks / Like
    :wavey If your a DIY`er I wouldn`t go overboad on what you spend on a tool cabinet.

All my tool storage units are Craftsman & I`ve never had a problem with them.

I have an old 10 draw tool chest that I`ve had for about 30 years (it`s gray with red drawers), a much newer 4 draw intermediate and a five draw roller w/ballbearing drawers & a bottom storage area. These are all used for my automotive tools.

I also have a 4 draw chest that I take in the back of my Wrangler when I go off-roading. Bounces around a lot but I`ve never had a problem.

I use an old 5 draw roller for my wood working tools.

I`d sooner buy a less expensive tool storage unit and use the money saved for additional tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 69-912

Wow I just went to my local Lowes and all of their Kobalt stuff is on clearance. They have 9-piece socket sets for $10.99 !

Check your local stores guys and gals.

Just checked my local Lowes and they have a printed notice stating a whole new line of tools, chests, and accessories are coming soon. Almost all Kobalt-branded products are on clearance.

I`m gonna do an inventory of my hand tools and buy a bunch of Kobalt to fill in the gaps. I`d love a bigger tool chest but that`ll have to wait.

Buy the good stuff now, folks. It`ll be gone soon.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information