Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a two car garage that houses an NSX and a GS400. The long two-door NSX especially (or rather, my girlfriend ) has a problem with doors opening into the drywall of the garage wall, sometimes leading to little gouges in the drywall and potentially paint damage on the car.

I did a number of keyword searchs for potential solutions here but didn`t come up with anything...

Has anyone found or installed any protective strips on their garage wall that both look good and work well? I`m open to both ready-made and DIY solutions. I`ve through about buying a white garden hose, chopping off the ends and nailing that to the wall right where the door hits. Any other ideas?

Attaching a pic below that shows a bit of the cramped NSX side.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    1998 Lexus GS400 Black & Tan

Post Thanks / Like
    Most home repair stores carry foam tubes for insulating hot water lines. nail one of those paralell to the floor at the point where the edge of the door would come in contact with the wall. It`s resilient enought to take the banging and it wont hurt the door.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I have the same problem; a smallish 2-car garage with a 2-door Camry and a Miata. Our solution is that my wife parks nose-in on the right hand side, I back in on the left side. Therefore both doors open into the common center.

There is plenty of room in the center to open doors and walk between the cars, and neither car has to be dangerously close to the outside wall.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought four pads from Griot`s Garage to protect the doors of my C32 AMG from hitting nearby walls. They`re soft enough to not scratch the paint and thick enough to handle the door hitting them. They were easy to install.

They offer them in 3 and 4 foot lengths.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=92326

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s what CMA offers (click picture to go to web page):

Tort

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go to your local wal-mart, K-Mart or store like it and look for these things called noodles in the kids toys section (they may also be near pool supplies). They are basically the same thing as those soft foam pipe coverings from Home Depot but on a much larger scale. I used one of those at my dads house to cover the lolli-column in the middle of the two car garage.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - all great ideas. I even thought of another myself that is very similar to the car stuff - a dock edge saver for a boat slip.

Boating stuff isn`t much cheaper than the car stuff, though (the one above is 4`` high x 24`` long for $20 from Boater World).

I`ve passed along all the ideas to "the boss" to see what she likes best. Appreciate the help, if you have more please post `em.
    1998 Lexus GS400 Black & Tan

Thread Information