Post Thanks / Like
    when i jack up the car i put the jack on the area of the frame behind the front wheel. Where would be a good spot to put the jackstand once the front end is up? I usually put it under the lower control arm but am doubting that is a good place to put the stand under.
    2003 Apex Silver Lancer Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Anywhere on the frame is the best, on the rear put the Jack stands under the rear axle on the sides..
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I jack one side up @ a time. I just have a small jack and it doesnt get it high enough if i do it in the front center on the car. Thanx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Iowan_Juggalo

Can I jack one side up @ a time. I just have a small jack and it doesnt get it high enough if i do it in the front center on the car. Thanx in advance.

Not sure what you are doing but, I will never get under any car with out stands or on my ramps. What are you doing to the car that you have it jacked up>?

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not a good idea to have jackstands come in contact with suspension parts like control arms. Like Red said, the frame is best.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be careful whatever you do! Usually a sturdy middle crossmember is safe, but there are exceptions. If you`re jacking up on the side of unibody cars there`s usually reinforced areas between the wheels (front and rear) that you can use. Be cautious with unibody cars because even though something looks thick and strong, it might not be, and if you miss the right spot certain things tend to "cave in" if you know what I mean!

Really the best thing to do is peek at a owner`s manual or a shop manual at the library or something. You might even find some safe jacking/support points you didn`t know were there.

Post Thanks / Like
    what if you want all four wheels up with a jackstand on all four sides? I guess you would get the front wheels up then jack. Then jack one side of the rear up. But thats what i`m afraid of....if i jack one side of the rear to get a jackstand under there i;m afraid that the front end will fall from the stands :nixweiss ....Don`t want that happening:shocked
    2003 Apex Silver Lancer Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to put at places where 1) jack for tire is marked or 2) where frame members meet!
    Get out and Detail your car TODAY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Blackmirror

what if you want all four wheels up with a jackstand on all four sides? I guess you would get the front wheels up then jack. Then jack one side of the rear up. But thats what i`m afraid of....if i jack one side of the rear to get a jackstand under there i;m afraid that the front end will fall from the stands :nixweiss ....Don`t want that happening:shocked

I jack the rear first and put the stands under the rear axle, then do the fronts and side at a time...

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of vehicle are you jacking? Your owner’s manual will indicate safe points for jacking. For instance, one member stated that jacking on suspension points such as control arms is not a good idea, but my explorer has hooks welded to the lower control arm specifically for this purpose. Some blazers have a hole in the frame rail that accepts a bump on the factory jack. Each vehicle is going to be different.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by laynlow

What type of vehicle are you jacking? Your owner’s manual will indicate safe points for jacking. For instance, one member stated that jacking on suspension points such as control arms is not a good idea, but my explorer has hooks welded to the lower control arm specifically for this purpose. Some blazers have a hole in the frame rail that accepts a bump on the factory jack. Each vehicle is going to be different.

Good post I agree 100%

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Thread Information