Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Building New House - Garage Features???

What is "rock"?

Sheet rock?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building New House - Garage Features???

Are you guys recommending insulation to keep it cool in the summer or warm in the winter? I`ve never been cold in the winter in a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Are you guys recommending insulation to keep it cool in the summer or warm in the winter? I`ve never been cold in the winter in a garage.
    Both!! My garage is unheated and uncooled and just the insulation keeps it reasonable all year. As far as winter I guess it depends on where you live--in SW PA we get some cold weather and I`ve never had my garage go below 42 even during the worst of it most of the winter it stays at 50-55, but neighbors without insulation see well below 32.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Rock..yes is sheetrock.
    It`s was hard to understand what insulating really does until you go from not having much to having it.
    My house had about 6" of insulation in the attic since it was built in 62.
    Last fall I had R-49 blown in.
    Huge difference. ..cooler in summer. ..rooms are nice and warm in winter.
    Also had my crawl space walls insulated . ... much more comfortable.
    Maybe you were never cold in a rocked garage but once you have it installed you`ll realize what you were missing.
    You might be able to open a door into the house while working in there without losing the heat or cool from the living area too.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I really need advice on is garage lighting. The builder is a custom builder - and can pretty much do most reasonable things it seems. They even gave me hand drawn blue prints (not CAD).

I`m pretty sure LED lights are the way to go. I`m thinking something like this:

But, I have no clue how many??? I`m not detailing for a living - so I don`t need Richard Linn`s light setup. Something prosumer style would be nice.

I have T8 halogens now. They are adequate. I`m guessing they are outdated and that wouldn`t be a good way to go?

Congrats on the new house.

Can you just have the builder put in electrical outlets in the ceilings and walls where you think you may want light fixtures? That would allow you to mount them where they are needed, and to be changed as lighting technology advances.

My advice would be to put in about 2x as many outlets as you think you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Those lay in fixtures are for drop ceilings...I mounted four of them on my unrocked garage ceiling. Perfectly spaced within an inch.
    They came from a health place we were doing.
    I wasn`t into detailing at the time so they only each have 2 T8 32w lamp ballasts. My plan is to eventually retrofit four lamps in each. I just need to add tombstones and put another ballast or change it to a four lamp.

You`ll also might want lights near any planned workbench. Not necessary but better when working on things.

How about posting the floor-plan of the garage so we can take a look.
    A few weeks ago I started typing how to lay out lights perfectly spaced.
    I think you said you didn`t want anything fancy right? I`m not a lumen engineer but have installed so many fixtures its easy once someone takes two minutes to show you the trick on getting the measurements. You can decide how many lights you want.
    For a 24x24 garage my four fixtures aren`t enough but once I double the lamps it should work. T

Just have a junction box with a cover for your feed waiting for you and run MC cable or romex light to light.
    Hopefully you get a 3-way or four way switch located at each door.

The biggest mistake in my layout is with the garage door up, two fixtures are completely covered by the door. I should have laid it out for 3 rows of lights to prevent that.

Post Thanks / Like

My garage ceiling is a regular ceiling - if I recall. There is attic space above it.

I went to look at lights today, and I think the best value for my lighting buck is T8 fluorescent strips. I`m thinking of a bunch of them flush mounted to the ceiling.

I`m thinking maybe a total of 18 T8 bulbs. I kinda like the 2 X 2 (long wise) T8 flush mounted fixtures. Maybe 3 of those and 3 or 4 dual T8 fixtures.

This would all be hard-wired in. To turn on with a few switches. Hopefully, this doesn`t require any crazy electrical panels or what not. I am completely new (and overwhelmed) by all this.

I am having several meeting with the builder over the next few weeks about everything. We will see what happens.
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking maybe a total of 18 T8 bulbs. I kinda like the 2 X 2 (long wise) T8 flush mounted fixtures. Maybe 3 of those and 3 or 4 dual T8 fixtures...
    I`d take whatever you think is sufficient and add a few to that. Seriously...you`ll be surprised over time.

This would all be hard-wired in. To turn on with a few switches.
    The more switches the better as it gives you options. And I`d have one small light setup that has its own switch in case you want "just a little light" on, like for security purposes or getting in/out late at night.

Hopefully, this doesn`t require any crazy electrical panels or what not..
    Doesn`t sound like it should to me. And this is *the* time to do it right

Post Thanks / Like

In the works.

Garage should be here:

Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow cinder block walls, never see that here anymore all poured concrete walls. I am not sure why maybe the cold or snow load from roof or just over regulation building codes. Keep up with the updates love to watch the progress even the little things.
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Wow cinder block walls, never see that here anymore all poured concrete walls. I am not sure why maybe the cold or snow load from roof or just over regulation building codes. Keep up with the updates love to watch the progress even the little things.
    They won`t let us do that in Utah either.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Wow cinder block walls, never see that here anymore all poured concrete walls..
    Cinderblock walls are the overwhelmingly most-common type in my area. My shop walls are cinderblock, but also filled with concrete for added strength (it was a weird situation).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Cinderblock walls are the overwhelmingly most-common type in my area. My shop walls are cinderblock, but also filled with concrete for added strength (it was a weird situation).
    We had a fence wall and a garage built in this manner when I was a kid but the foundation was poured.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

My addition is being done with cinder block too, they core fill every so often and add rebar. I was asked by a friend why we didn`t poor but all the research I did made it sound like they were equally as good when done correctly, plus the block was a bit cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure if cinder blocks are good or bad - I`m really not too knowledgeable on this subject. But, anyway - that`s what they use. This builder has been around since the early 1950s, so maybe they are old school?

One thing that I found unique, is the architect (who is the founder`s son), still draws all his blue prints by hand. They gave me copies of the hand drawn blue prints - and I was expecting computer print outs.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information