Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building New House - Garage Features???

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    How about stairs that steal this space, are there any?
    Not sure what this means. Stairs that steal space? There are no stairs in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Guess it`s not an issue for you then...I`m guessing he means the way some types of staircases eat up room (I have a spiral staircase in my shop for that reason... and because it looks cool ).
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Swanicyouth- Guess it`s not an issue for you then...I`m guessing he means the way some types of staircases eat up room (I have a spiral staircase in my shop for that reason... and because it looks cool ).
    Yeah, pretty much what he said.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Got it.

The house is a rancher. There is some storage space above the garage (think small attic), but the builder seem to discourage putting anything up there. It`s more of an access. There is a stairs to the full basement, but it doesn`t open from the garage.

Would love to have a garage with some type of second story, but it`s just not in my budget. I`m trying to be realistic and just not blow my load in the the garage $$$.

It`s looking like this may be a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Glad it`s all coming together, must be kinda exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Building New House - Garage Features???

Prolly nobody here really cares, but house is a go. Going to sign papers Sat morning.

Thing I am most excited about is I got the architect to add 2` to the garage - making it a 2 car garage + almost 9`. Cost more, but prolly worth it.
    Likes mnehls86, trashmanssd, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulaions, that`s great.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post
    Thanks Swanicyouth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s fantastic. Congrats!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Hey, glad to hear the good news! I bet you`ll really appreciate that added room in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, now comes the hard part making sure they do there job right and on budget. Remember it will be worth it in the end, most builds/remodels go, design (enthusiastic), build (frustrated), finished(relieved and happy).

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a thought that may be good for you. Most contractors pay to have someone clean the site on a regular basis. If you live close to the building site, have that person be you and your family. They knocked a $1000 off the price of my last house when I did this. You end up with a cleaner work site (no sawdust down the heater vents, no scraps burried in the front yard, ask me about this some time and I`ll tell you stories you wouldn`t believe) but most importantly you`ll find yourself being almost intimate with the home as it goes up. You`ll see everything including those mistakes you may not otherwise catch. The contractor knows you`ll be there so he watches his subs a little more closely. Changes are made before it`s burried behind a wall or a floor. As long as you`re not driving an hour to get there you can go several times a week and see how things are progressing. For me it was a win, win situation. We`ve done this on several homes and at least in my mind got a better finished product because of it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for al the advice peeps.

It`s just kind of scary writing such a big check and signing papers for what is now only an acre of weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Building New House - Garage Features???

So, I signed everything yesterday for what I`m now calling "my acre of weeds"

As for the garage, I got the size I wanted (2 bay w/ double wide door + 17` X 9` bump out). The "bump out" should house all my detailing stuff and tools...

The builder asked if I wanted the garage insulated - and I passed $$$. Dollars were adding up fast for other things. Dunno if it means much - but garage doors will be insulated.

One thing I really need advice on is garage lighting. The builder is a custom builder - and can pretty much do most reasonable things it seems. They even gave me hand drawn blue prints (not CAD).

I`m pretty sure LED lights are the way to go. I`m thinking something like this:

But, I have no clue how many??? I`m not detailing for a living - so I don`t need Richard Linn`s light setup. Something prosumer style would be nice.

I have T8 halogens now. They are adequate. I`m guessing they are outdated and that wouldn`t be a good way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t tell you how to spend your money. That said, I think you`ll be sorry if you opt not to insulate your garage if they`re putting rock up. Blown in insulation can be pricey but pink rolled isn`t all that bad and can be done by a guy in the afternoon. Have the ceiling taken care of while they`re there. Leave the rock off if code allows until you can afford the insulation in the walls and then do both.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My old house had a garage added by a previous owner. I`ve been here 18 years.
    No rock or insulation. Take Gear Heads advise.
    I have plans on insulating one day then rocking. I light a propane tank heater and it barely goes above 50 in there. Open ceiling. If we get temperatures like last winter you`ll freeze in there . (Ask me how I know)
    Maybe have the builder insulate the rafters and just rock the ceiling for now.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information