Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building New House - Garage Features???

Whatever you go with for the floor [coating], make sure to include friction media so it`s not slippery when wet.

I first tried the standard "epoxy and stones" (not to mention any specific names ) and found it unsatisfactory. Had it redone in a "sealed" version (at considerable expense) and I simply love that. People often remark how nice it feels for a concrete floor.

Oh, and I too have a garage bathroom...nice luxury if the budget allows.

Oh, that reminds me, nice to have a floor drain near the compressor for draining condensation out of its tank. I run my dehumidifier`s output hose to it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh, that reminds me, nice to have a floor drain near the compressor for draining condensation out of its tank. I run my dehumidifier`s output hose to it too.
    Good catch, he can always do a condensate pump though...might have one already planned for the boiler if it`s HE (or he might have a floor drain planned for the boiler condensate )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    .. he can always do a condensate pump though...
    Yeah, that`d work. Though the one we have on the one household furnace kinda worries me since I figure nothing lasts forever and stuff usually dies at an inconvenient moment.

Post Thanks / Like

My needs are simple. Climate controlled and...

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that`d work. Though the one we have on the one household furnace kinda worries me since I figure nothing lasts forever and stuff usually dies at an inconvenient moment.
    Correct as always, yes, they do go bad, and usually at in inconvenient moment. I found out my HVAC company had wired it to shut off the air handler if it failed (and over-filled). I kind of thought some condensate on the basement floor was a softer failure than the heat shutting off in the middle of winter, but I guess there is a pretty good premium for emergency service! Fortunately Home Depot had a rinky dink one that worked so I didn`t have to find out what the emergency service cost.

Anyway, floor drain is a good option for new construction...although (and I don`t know what the code is in OH) apparently here if you have a floor drain you have to now put a trap primer into it to make sure the trap stays full...so it`s not exactly the maintenance-free solution it once was.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you go with for the floor [coating], make sure to include friction media so it`s not slippery when wet.

I first tried the standard "epoxy and stones" (not to mention any specific names ) and found it unsatisfactory. Had it redone in a "sealed" version (at considerable expense) and I simply love that. People often remark how nice it feels for a concrete floor.
    Prolly just going to leave it concrete. Too many horror stories I`ve heard about epoxy and similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Prolly just going to leave it concrete. Too many horror stories I`ve heard about epoxy and similar.
    At least put some clear sealer on it, that concrete dust is horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Fortunately I have a floor drain I can use if the pump fails at an inopportune moment, but well, fingers crossed that I catch it quickly!

Funny about the concrete dust- I had a bare concrete floor at my previous shop (old Ford dealership building, I had a new floor poured) and never noticed any problem. But yeah, the sealer is certainly worth doing and shouldn`t be a huge undertaking.

Swanicyouth- Yes indeed, it`s a real drag to spend a bundle only to have to redo it at additional expense, let alone after having "moved in" and having to put all the garage-stuff somewhere!

I can say that after 15 years my current stuff is working out fine, though the friction media has worn down a lot on the most-used areas.
    Thanks upon3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I did a basecoat clearcoar and I`m VERY happy with the results.

Base coat for first coat and flakes

Top two clear coats

Final top coat of epoxy sealer
    Likes Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny about the concrete dust- I had a bare concrete floor at my previous shop (old Ford dealership building, I had a new floor poured) and never noticed any problem. But yeah, the sealer is certainly worth doing and shouldn`t be a huge undertaking.
    I think it`s a complicated issue as most concrete issues are--I think if you have a pristine floor and can keep it that way, then you may not get any dusting. But once it starts to break down (from road salt, acids, etc.) then the dust is terrible, it`s irritating and abrasive. Some of it is also related (I guess) to the specific mix, air entrainment, how it was floated at installation, vapor barrier etc. etc. etc.

I have a terrible floor, I am wrestling with having it repoured and I want to make sure the new one doesn`t end up like the old one, so I am going to do some sort of paint if I ever actually get a new floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Sectec Astronomy- Well, certainly nothing wrong with doing things right and just sidestepping the whole potential issue! In hindsight, I probably should`ve at least done the the washbay of that previous shop, but it was a huge building and I was, uhm..not looking for more things to do to it (Historic Building, really neat but an absolute money-pit).

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt read all responses so may be repeating:
    Fully finished (lots of big dust is becomes a real pain.

Temp controlled or air flow and filter at least

Outlets everywhere including ceiling.

I love a big sink as i do my own detailing or cleaning of various things - like myself after some light wrenching.

Ample pour for supporting a lift later on

Height enough to stack cars on a lift - because you never know when youll want to buy another car/have a great oppty

Not a fan of the long neon bulbs, especially when they encroach on a lifted car if you stack two - i would place led lights carefully

This is rare but i love a sweep tray - indented area of the cement with a metal tray set in that you sweep dirt into and then just pick up the trap/tray and dump it.

Not sure if u will ever want an electric car but a tesla and never going to a gas station for the commuter sounds nice to me sometimes - run the right power line now while your building.

Post Thanks / Like

2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

RustBullet is another option. Personally I`m planning on going with race deck tiles next though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    RustBullet is another option..
    Which of their products are you referring to? I`ve used Rust Bullet for...well, "paint over rust" situations but I never thought of it for anything in the shop...clue me in

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information