Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building New House - Garage Features???

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You gonna use that Gel-Gloss?

The Cerama-Bryte might be handy for use cleaning the (inside of) the oven if you`re not gonna do the self-clean cycle regularly.

I`ve never had good luck with the Stainless Steel products.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

This is still one of the most interested threads in here..
    Guess did to me dreaming of a house/garage
    Anyone ever thought about a 1/car bay just for ceramic coating installations?
    Separate washbay idea is nice
    Nkw do you feel the need to build another garage for working on cars? Mechanic wise?

Post Thanks / Like

Following this thread is a heck of a lot of fun.

That`s a very nice place you have there, Steve!
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Glad you guys like it. But wait.... Here is something pretty funny.

I never had an attic before. The other night, I was putting some cardboard up in the attic. Stupidly - I left the door open.

Now... The attic has a "cat walk" of plywood in the center - so you can store some light stuff up there in the center. But it`s huge.

One of my cats ran up in the attic - and starting running on the insulation. I couldn`t get to the cat, as there was no floor where he was at. So, I was freaking out thinking he was going to fall through the ceiling and get hurt.

So, I started (trying) to walk in rafters to get him. One thing lead to another, and I ended up putting my FOOT through the ceiling of my brand new house:

The offender:

Yes, I`ll repeat that. I got the cat - but ended up putting my foot through the ceiling. Prolly the stupidest thing I have EVER done.

Luckily, the builder was able to fix it like the next day, because I was FREAKING OUT. Painter is coming out Monday.

After the repair (no paint):

Likes Jaddie, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

lol. dang cat

Post Thanks / Like

A dog would never do that to you.
    Likes 04accord, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to get it fixed so promptly, a little paint and it`ll all be a distant memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Steve, bless your heart!

Gorgeous cat.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the garage organized. Sneak peak I took from outside last night...

Dunno if anyone here knows about water softeners. Of course, I know about mixed bed resin deionization (CR Spotless style) and how that produces 0 ppm water.

So, from what I gather, home water softeners use a "resin" that exchanges calcium and magnesium for sodium. The water dispensed is NaCl rich? The water softener than "regenerates" the resin by flushing it with a brine solution.

Maybe all that is correct?

Anyway, I opted out of getting the house built with a water softener. It was offered - and looking back it was prolly something I should have got.

But, I noticed the house was plumbed for one. Hook up looks pretty easy? All pipes are CPCV.

Anyway, if it`s as easy as it looks - I`m thinking of DIY`ing it. How hard is this? I haven`t tested my water yet, but I`m guessing if it`s similar to my old water (200 ppm) - it`s only moderately hard water.

Also, unfortunately (I think it`s common), the house looks plumbed so the hose faucets are off the main inlet water source - meaning the softened water wouldn`t go through the hose.

Does softened water (opposed to 200ppm water) make a huge difference for car washing? I`m used to using DI water for a final rinse - and that make a big difference to me. Is getting a softener on one of the hose lines worth it??

Any input?

Post Thanks / Like

My father has a pretty nice water softening system in his house -- that is, if you like soft water. The taste is fine, but I don`t like showering with it. Many, including myself, will complain about the "slimy" feeling it gives you when rinsing soap. In terms of washing your car with it, soft water -- as far as I know -- doesn`t change the total dissolved substances, rather the specific dissolved substances. It probably is similar to "hard water" when it comes to dissolved substances, but perhaps the sodium fairs better than the calcium in terms of drying, but it`s really the TDS that relates to spotting. Maybe the city line has a higher TDS. I suspect you`d want to stick with DI for the final rinse.

You may need less soap, however. But, I suspect you`d still be foaming and using the manufacturer`s recommended dilutions.

Looking forward to the garage pics, BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with softeners and have had them in all my homes. I have a separate one for the garage.

The "sodium in the water" has only been an issue *one* time- in our previous house (different softener) the softened water was hard on some African Violets.

We run our drinking water through RO units so I`ve never worried about the water being too "sodium-rich" with regard to health matters.

No idea whether it`s bad for the cars, but its not like mine are rusting out from being washed with softened water either...guess I don`t know what to tell you there though of course if you rinsed *thoroughly* with the DI water then it shouldn`t be an issue anyhow. That "rinsed THOROUGHLY might be easier said than done though (nooks and crannies..).

I do find that any spotting from the softened water is easily wiped away and sure doesn`t etch like hard water can.

Other Side of Fence:

Like kevincwelch, Accumulatorette dislikes the "slimy" and "hard to rinse out the suds" aspects of the softened water. I put those in scare-quotes because they just don`t bother me. BUT..maybe that`s because I`m so used to soft water. When I shower in hard water I`m disappointed in the seemingly lousy suds, though I do get the "great rinsing" effect.

Heh heh, I`d hate to do a hard-sell on the softener only to have [somebody in your household] simply hate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I grew up with softeners and have had them in all my homes. I have a separate one for the garage.

The "sodium in the water" has only been an issue *one* time- in our previous house (different softener) the softened water was hard on some African Violets.

We run our drinking water through RO units so I`ve never worried about the water being too "sodium-rich" with regard to health matters.

No idea whether it`s bad for the cars, but its not like mine are rusting out from being washed with softened water either...guess I don`t know what to tell you there though of course if you rinsed *thoroughly* with the DI water then it shouldn`t be an issue anyhow. That "rinsed THOROUGHLY might be easier said than done though (nooks and crannies..).

I do find that any spotting from the softened water is easily wiped away and sure doesn`t etch like hard water can.

Other Side of Fence:

Like kevincwelch, Accumulatorette dislikes the "slimy" and "hard to rinse out the suds" aspects of the softened water. I put those in scare-quotes because they just don`t bother me. BUT..maybe that`s because I`m so used to soft water. When I shower in hard water I`m disappointed in the seemingly lousy suds, though I do get the "great rinsing" effect.

Heh heh, I`d hate to do a hard-sell on the softener only to have [somebody in your household] simply hate it!
    I wouldn`t say that I grew up with them (my parents got one in my early teens, haven`t had one for the last 10 years or so, have one again) but mostly agree. I haven`t experienced any problems from softened water though.

I haven`t done a whole lot of research into them, but I do know that the salt levels in the water are supposed to be within safe limits for human consumption. I haven`t noticed any problems from drinking it or any of the animals drinking it (dogs, cats, and rats.)

I wouldn`t imagine that it would really cause any extra rust, especially if you live in an area that lays salt on the roads in the winter.

Now, on to the reasons I love water softeners and why the "slimy" feeling doesn`t bother me.
    - Water softeners replace calcium and magnesium in the water with small amounts of sodium. Calcium and magnesium are two minerals that interfere with soaps/detergents. The calcium and magnesium actually cause deposits of soap, calcium, and magnesium on the surface of whatever it is you`re trying to clean. This is why you feel slimy when you wash with softened water - there is less soap left on your skin. Since the softener reduces the amount of soap scum buildup and removes two elements that reduce the effectiveness, this results in less soap used. This extends to body soap, shampoo, laundry soap, pretty much any soap really. That results in savings and, if you`re like me and stupidly spend $20 on a bottle of shampoo, it can be a decent amount of savings. Removing the calcium from the water also prevents calcium buildup on faucets, shower heads, valves, dishwashers, washing machines, water dispensers, etc. and supposedly (I`ve never taken one apart) inside your hot water heater. Because of that, it`s supposed to extend the life of your water heater and help it maintain it`s efficiency.

I love them, but the choice is yours.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the garage somewhat organized so I can do some actual detailing.

Most of the "detail stuff" is in the "bump out" of the garage:

But, I still have this huge open space to work:

Bought these hooks at Lowes for $7.

Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice brush rack!

(Sent via my mobile device)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to paint the walls or leave them O`natural?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information