Post Thanks / Like
    In the next few weeks I am planning on phase 1 of redoing my garage, which is to paint the walls. As it sits, they are unfinished drywall white. I`d prefer to use a different color than white, but I don`t want to use a color that will make the garage seem dark and dull when detailing or working on vehicles. After I do the walls, my plan is to epoxy the floor with a grey and use the black and white chips. Any ideas on what will work best? I am not the best when it comes to coordinating things like this

Maybe some of you all could post your garages to give me some ideas. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quality primer and then an oil based light grey enamel paint up about 3 to 5 feet on the wall, then what ever white you wish to use. The biggest concern is that no matter how careful one is, water and chemicals will get on the that first 3 to 5 feet (5 foot is better) and no water based paint is going to hold up and white will show every thing that hits it.

Best thing is to go and find some "melamine sheeting" (all the big box stores have it) and put it over the dry wall. It is impervious to care car chemicals and can be found in white or an off white "almond" color, go with the white.

It holds up to everything, just make sure to seal it good at the base, next to the floor.

What ever you get on it, will wipe off and not create a need for repainting every year or so.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I had gray-then-white at my previous shop (commercial building) and it worked well.

For my home shop I went with off-white FRP for the lower and then bright glossy white epoxy for the remainder. Still happy with it after 13 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure I don`t want to go with white. With all of the flourescent lighting I have, it may be too bright. Dark gray is just plain depressing to look at, never really cared for the color.

Here`s a few pic I found of what I`d kind of like to go with. I like this top color (whatever it is), since I am looking for a light grey beige look. I want to do the walls in this in a satin or flat, and then go around with a horizontal black or red stripe around the walls.

Its something different from standard white and still light reflective. I absolutely hate having any involvement with choosing wall colors, thousands of choices out there. The garage is my area so I guess I have to make the final decision

Post Thanks / Like
    RedlineIRL- I used a light/medium for the gray, didn`t seem dark at all. For the white, I *WANT* it as bright as possible (note that I`d turn out the fluorescents when doing correction-inspection anyhow).

Don`t go with flat, it doesn`t wear/clean up well compared with glossier paints. I have a satin in one garage and a high-gloss in my other "shop" garage, and I greatly prefer the glossier finish.

Eh, maybe it`s just me, but that garage with the NSX in it wouldn`t be nearly bright enough for me, I`d be reaching for auxilary lighting all the time and it`d drive me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the red but`with the white trim the off white doesn`t look`quite right.` I know you don`t like gray, I don`t either but maybe take a look at a very light, almost white gray for the top to make it look crisp.``I think it would look sharp with the black and red.` The red accent wall is great!``You could play around in Photoshop until you get a good combo of colors.` Choose your red wisely though so it doesn`t look to orange or pink.` You should be able to find the right red and bring it in to have the paint dept. match it if`they don`t have a color you like. `

`

A little splash of pink in the garage never hurts, but that wouldn`t look good with your walls being red.` `I want to do my floor in black and hot pink tiles.`
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like

I like the red and black. i really am a big fan of red, black ,and grey. here is my garage setup before opening up a shop. no more cabinets and works bench on my garage now.

`

`

in my shop, I would love to paint the walls gloss white and also the floor a gloss white, like the floors in USAF hangers. maybe one day!

`

any updates to your garage since your last post?!

Post Thanks / Like

sooooooo jealous!

<span style="color:#a9a9a9;"><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;">"Detailing is my Zen....and shiny cars get me all excited."</span> </span></span>

Thread Information