Post Thanks / Like
    Part 1: I`m looking for storage options. I don`t have a very deep garage area to work in so I wanted to see what types of storage you are using to help keep things off the ground and still have access to all your tools, equipment and products.

Part 2: I`m looking to upgrade my standard lighting. Since my garage isn`t very deep, the opener on both bay doors happens to be almost centrally located (meaning there are tracking on either side and through the middle) and I`m having a hard time choosing lighting that will adequately light from 15` high and not be affected by the opener, rails, and unfortunately centrally located I-beam. How do you light your work space. (btw, I have halogens, tactic lights, etc... I`m looking for total illumination).

Thanks in advance.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garage Storage Cabinets questions - http://www.autopia.org/forum/man-cav...questions.html

Garage lighting what I need to know - http://www.autopia.org/forum/man-cav...need-know.html

I’m sure you are aware that this question has been asked before, I’ve provided two hyperlinks on the subjects you asked about, there are many others available, they can be accessed by using the forum search function
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d be interested to see people`s storage set ups as well.` I was searching on this subject the other day. There are some older posts but the pics are no longer visible.

`

`I`m looking at doing some garage organization this week and I`d like to see what people are doing in terms of cabinets/shelving etc - espeically for product storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a few pics of my setup:

Cabinet is a craftsman from sears and the 3 drawer bin is a cheapo bin from target (could probably use another one).

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing too fancy here with regard to storage-

`

-MFs and cotton towels are in large RubberMaid trash cans (on casters) organized in specific-use categories (glass, wash/dry,polishing & LSPing, etc.)

-Tools are in a rollaway on the "non-washbay" side of the shop

-Shampoo jugs (working-stock concentrate and a few gallons of foamgun mix) are on floor in the washbay area

-Products are on open shelving (working-stock in shop proper, the rest are in a storage room off the second-floor office)

-Polishers/inspection lights/etc. are on open shelving (in office)

-Pads/swabs/extra brushes/etc. are in cheapie plastic drawer units (in both shop and office)

-Every-wash brushes/sponges/etc. are just left in the wash buckets in the shop`s wash-bay area

-Shop manuals and car-related books are in the office`s built-in desk area

-Spare car parts are in a second storage room off the office (where the HVAC unit is)

`

The general idea is to keep regularly used items ready-to-hand in the shop and the other stuff out of my way.

Post Thanks / Like

Shop lighting- I kept this in mind when designing the shop, choosing roll-up overhead doors so they wouldn`t interfere with the lights.` I have fluorescents on the ceiling(cathedral for most of the shop...questionable idea, that, but it looks nice) and along the two longer walls, switched as`five separate banks with a smaller 4` fixture in the laundry area.` Then there are caged/shaded high-wattage incandescents in three (separately switched)`banks hanging down from the ceiling.

`

I`d probably do it a little differently if building the shop today, but it works out OK.` IMO you can never have too much light, just set up the banks/switches so you can turn on/off what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    My chemicals just go on Plano shelves and my towels and pads in these plastic drawers on wheels. I`ve spent the last week rearranging my garage as well. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For those who are limited for room to keep things in cabinets on the walls one thing I have seen done is towel racks.`

It works well for anything with a puump sprayer type head as it will hang on the rack. Also keeps it easily in reach and off the floor.`

Also having high mount shelving is nice too if you cant keep it at the level of the car.`

Thread Information