Post Thanks / Like
    With the temperatures hovering in the 90s for the past two weeks, it has been pretty uncomfortable working in the garage. The past few day in the afternoons the garage temperature has been in the mid to upper 90s. I am sure that my uninsulated attic above the garage and uninsulated garage door are not helping matters.

So I am thinking about grabbing an air conditioner that I can wheel around the garage , and make it bearable to work on the car without being soaked in sweat. Here is the one I am looking at getting with an air conditioner and dehumidifier all in one.

Shop Danby 12000-BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner at Lowes.com

I don`t really drive my garage kept car much, it sits most of the time uncovered, since I am usually adding some kind of parts to it or usually detailing something. What I am concered with is condensation on unwanted mosture forming in the garage and on the car. I was planning on using the AC while I am working in the garage in the evenings and weekends, and then shutting it off when I am back in the house at night or gone during the day. Do you all think that the temperature change between the daytime heat and evening air conditioning can create unwanted moisute buildup?

Post Thanks / Like
    RedlineIRL- I turn my shop`s AC on/off as needed for my comfort and I don`t have condensation problems from it. I always run a dehumidifier anyhow but I don`t think that`s really factoring in.

I think you`ll find that the AC really just takes the edge off the heat, rather than making the shop really cool (let alone cold).

Post Thanks / Like
    I run my A/C as needed also. It`s a big unit that can bring down the temp quickly. I love it. But I turn it off when done and never have any condensation.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Just yesterday the AC kicked on in the shop proper (it comes on a lot more frequently in the upstairs office/storage area) while I was finishing up. IIRC I have the shop thermosat set around 90° but I never thought it was all *that* hot, sorta surprised me when it came on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage has some pretty decent storage up in the attic area. I insulated the ceiling below, and not the attic. I have a thermostatically controlled vent fan up there and it is set to go off at 90 degrees and it has been running for practically a month straight in the daytime! Hot potato!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    ... I have a thermostatically controlled vent fan up there and it is set to go off at 90 degrees and it has been running for practically a month straight in the daytime! Hot potato!

Yeah, our attic vent fan runs nonstop this time of year too. I sometimes think it makes more noise than anything else....

Thread Information